Help Choosing a Multi-Purpose Monitor

K12Tech

Looking for folks to help me spend my money... I'm chasing down a high-end monitor to replace an older 27" BenQ Zowie (1080p) in my office/man cave that will serve three purposes:

1. A second monitor for my Retina 27" iMac for work (place on VESA mount attached to desk right beside the iMac, replacing the right-most monitor in the picture)
  2. Primary monitor for an in-process high-end Windows video editing / gaming build (Ryzen 9, 3080 graphics card)
  3. Eventually could be used as an output monitor for a PS5

The current contenders:

• LG 27GN950-B: 4K is nice for high resolution as a work monitor beside the 5K 27" iMac, and matches active screen size of iMac.
  • Samsung G7 Odyssey 32": good gaming monitor and physical height matches height of iMac, but I wonder about 1440 resolution looking fuzzy with text relative to the sharp iMac, and also wondering if they've resolved the G-Sync flickering issue.
  • LG 34GN850: height of active screen matches that of iMac, physically this is about as wide as I can go, but ultrawide format not optimal for potential future PS5 monitor

Just wondering if anybody has any positive or negative reactions that can help me narrow down my choices (or even potentially expand them).  Budget is ballpark <$1000 US.  Thanks!

IMG_4740.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Ended up going with the LG 27GN950, have everything in hand except for a CPU (Ryzen 5900X on backorder at B&H) to complete my setup.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:29 PM, K12Tech said:

LG 27GN950-B

That one does not have HDMI 2.0 for ps5 4k 120fps as hardware unboxed said. It's a really nice monitor on other things