Programming, a Dying art.

MzCatieB

In your opinion do you feel that computer programming is becoming a dying art.

I personally feel that it is, because so many people these days don't see past the GUI or OS on there hand held device and no longer appreciate the work that goes in to the creation of everything they see and use on a daily.

Character artist in the Games industry.

i hate programming personally. Not that it's dumb or anything, it's that I have no absolute patience.

However, there is a beauty of creating something of the ground up and seeing it in work.

Only recently are people making a move to push programming and coding for the public, so "dying" may be a broad term.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Not dying but it's not popular for sure. Programmers are a tiny minority but imo some people are trying to make it more popular, and that is very good. However we still have a lot of work to do. I do agree that the majority of people know zero about programming or even command line interfaces and think that operating a GUI is what computers are all about...

i'm a potato

"One day they'll teach programming like English and history and wonder why they didn't start doing it earlier" -poster in my school 

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

Not at all a dying art, if anything it's on the rise. A ton of work still goes into making good and efficient programs, and we break new ground every single day.

Edited by ixi_your_face

Sort of, script kiddies just grab code and make a site and/or program instead of actually learning the language making for a site that's giving you HTTP status codes in the 500 range.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

no, i dont think it is dead! i think it on the rise, england is making one of the major courses code! i think it will be come more popular i the next few years :)

"One day they'll teach programming like English and history and wonder why they didn't start doing it earlier" -poster in my school

This ^. I wish we had a programming class in my school...

But it's definetely not dying.

Edited by ixi_your_face

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

i don't think it's dying, it's just that programmers are vastly outnumbered due to pc pretty much being a required tool at this point, it's very user friendly, most people want it to work they don't care why, while in the earlier days it was mandatory to atleast have some knowledge about it, there might be few programmer in comparison but i don't think it's dying as in it's less than there was previously, more people use technology but that doesn't mean everyone is a programmer, it is a very niche thing after all.

No of course not, all those things that people don't see past have programming behind them.

programming is becoming much more popular than it used to be, at least people wonder how things work, and try to learn how to do it theirselves

i'm also thinking of all the people in this forum that want to learn how to program because "i want to make games"

this generated monsters such as codecademy: maybe it won't produce experienced programmers, but at least it's a simple and fast way of taking a bit of consciousness about what kind of world there is behind all the apps that we use every day

software is starting to have such deep roots in our lives, people can't help wondering how these things are made

Edited by ixi_your_face

I don't think it's a dying art form, but with it's increased popularity I don't like the way every Tom, Dick or Harry decides that they are now "master PHP l337 h4x codezman". I know a bunch of people in my area that had literally no interesting in coding their whole lifes, and then suddenly they are Bill Jobs / Steve Gates and buying raspberry pi's to sit in draws.

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

As an application programmer myself I don't find it's dying, but yes there are less people with more hardcore programming knowledge. It seems there's alot more people who are just copy pasters and know nothing about the language..  There is however alot more people than a few years ago who know basic HTML & CSS. (You're a little more hard pressed to find people who are actually good at C++, Java, C#, etc. though.) I personally have no problem with it, but that's because I like being in demand.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I would like to learn to code. I always loved creating things. I don't know where to learn besides books. I don't think that my local library has many programming books, I'll check it out next time I go for sure though.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Being a coder myself I do not think so. I think it is just getting started.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

HELL NO.

its only goning  to grow more and more in the future

No

If anything it is getting more and more popular. Sure the % of users that can program has decreased, but that's because the barrier of entry to using computers have been lowered so much.

The number of people using computers has increased in a faster rate than the number of people who can program, but both has increased.

One thing that has decreased though (at least this is what I feel) is the average knowledge of programmers. Making a program used to be pretty damn hard because of the very limited resources. Just look at The Legend of Zelda for example. The entire game, is 128KB and can run on a very primitive 1.66MHz processor and 2KB of RAM. Compare that to the horrendously bloated COD Ghost that's like 50GB (and not even 1/10 as good).

I think programmers are too spoiled with resources these days. Don't assign a 64bit variable if you're just going to use numbers up to 8. Don't copy memory back and forth if you can use a pointer. Don't code in java for crying out loud.

No certain language's maybe. But as a whole no.

I need to brush up on PHP though its by far my worst of the ones I know and probably the most useful :(.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090