Mafia 2 original version

Morrie Sells Wigs

So, I went to Steam as I had a bit to spend and, after looking at the comparison videos of the newer version of Mafia 2 next to the original, I decided that it didn't seem worth what I assumed would be a sizeable price difference. 

I assumed the old version would be around the £10-15 range...at a push...with the newer version being £24.99. 

Anyway, I can't seem to find the original version.

The first Mafia is there for £7.99, with the remaster at £34.99.

The second game, however, doesn't seem to be there as a separate purchase, meaning I'll have to spend the 24.99 to get the so called "definitive edition" and I'll get the original version for free thrown in.

I'm hoping I'm missing something and maybe someone can help.

I don't really want to pay 24.99 for a relatively small graphical upgrade if there's any way to buy the original game. 

The Mafia 2 and 3 "definitive edition" games are not the complete overhaul that the Mafia 1 remake is.

They are much more like minor upgrades whereas the Mafia 1 remake is a complete remaster in every way.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough so any ideas, guys?

P.S it has to be on Steam as that's where the credit is.

12 minutes ago, Benji said:

Well, I've taken a quick look at it and it doesn't exist separately anymore. Since the Skyrim Special Edition was released, you also cannot get the original, Add-On-less version anymore. The versions are superseded and thus you can't get them anymore. When you buy the Definitive Edition, you'll get the Classic version on top of that. When you have the Classic like I do, you get the Definitive Edition for free.

Yes, I am a bit gutted I didn't get the original version a while back as I'd have got the free upgrade too.

I just feel it's a bit unfair (maybe not the right word exactly) that I'm forced to pay 24.99 for a game that is very similar to the original which would probably only cost 8 or 9 quid if there was no remake.

Like I said, the definitive edition of 2 (why 3 has one I don't know, as visually it's current anyway  - probably just all the DLC etc...) is nowhere near as impressive as the remake of Mafia 1.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to spend the 24.99 or forget it.

Thanks for confirming the situation, appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Benji said:

I just had another idea... You can go to a store and buy a cheap copy of Mafia II (in electrics/entertainment stores) in the cheap games section like Software Pyramid or whatever they are called. These contain the Steam codes and can be had for 10-15 bucks. In that case you'll probably also get the Definitive Edition. That is the only way to get the licence to such games if you don't want to buy the new ones.

I don't think the upgrade is retroactive. 

Meaning, you can only get the upgraded edition if you had the original version when the remaster came out.

Otherwise people would just buy the original for pennies and get a free upgrade. 

Plus, I'd have to find a disc version of the original and I don't have a disc drive in my pc, or find a digital version not bundled with the remake.

I think I'm going to just buy the definitive edition upgrade and take the hit to my wallet...lol.

Thanks for offering some advice though, mate.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

That doesn't actually matter. Every Steam game you can buy is accompanied by the key, otherwise Steam wouldn't be able to link it to your account. Some games (like the GTA trilogy that I bought with San Andreas, Vice City and GTA III) don't even come with a disc, even though the box is intended for optical media. I had the experience that the game discs are outdated anyway. I installed the remake Need for Speed: Most Wanted off the disc, and due to the add-ons that came in between that required the entire game data to be updated, it installed off the disc and as a patch basically downloaded the entire game anew.

I think you might be right about you only being gifted the new version if you already had it linked to your account prior to the release of the new version. But lo and behold, I actually found Mafia II in this "Software Pyramide" version that I was referring to earlier for 13 bucks, and guess what the box says? "PC download code; contains no disc" (the one that I bought years ago actually has discs, though...). And bypassing Steam or another game launcher nowadays is borderline impossible, so every box of every game will maybe come with a disc, maybe not, but they'll always have the Steam activation code.

So yeah, you'll probably need to pay up for the Definitive Edition.

It's been a pleasure :)

Yeah, i think I'll just do that.

Thanks again, bud.

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Yup, that sounds cheap. 7.99€ in Germany. But if I read correctly, it doesn't appear to be on Steam (which surprises me, to be honest), and it has a modified soundtrack.

It's £5.99 for me (UK), and it is the original version.

Unfortunately, I only have the funds on Steam.

Oh well, bit silly that the biggest storefront on pc won't let me buy the version I want.

It'll let me buy the Mafia 1 original version, but not 2.

Still, nothing I can do about it.

Thanks again for trying to help me, Benji.

33 minutes ago, Soag said:

@Maury Sells Wigs, you have a GOG account?

I think so, but I can't buy it on GoG as the funds are in my Steam account.

So, it's get it on Steam or not at all...or get something else.