Im a little worried about the effects of folding for 40 days.

So I participated in the Folding earlier this year (March I think) for Covid-19. And back then it was around 2 weeks or so.
I want to participate again, and i want to give it my all with my 2080TI and my 1080. But i'm a little worried about the effects on the silicon for running them that hot for that long...
I know that things like graphics cards that were used for mining are often bad because they worked doing hard tasks 24/7 for long periods of time.
Should I be worried about messing up my hardware? Should I only have it go on medium to help with temps?
For reference i'm running a test WU now on medium load and my CPU (3800x) is at 90% usage and is at 80 degrees C, and my GPU is at 50% and around 75C.
I'm just really worried about degrading the silicon on my hardware by doing this for a month straight. Am I worrying for nothing? 
Sorry if this is a stupid question or has already been answered.

Since you have a pretty capable GPU I would ditch the CPU folding. That'll help a little with temps in the system.

I'd also look at dropping the power target down a bit and that should help keep temps down. Also make sure to set custom fan curves.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Since you have a pretty capable GPU I would ditch the CPU folding. That'll help a little with temps in the system.

I'd also look at dropping the power target down a bit and that should help keep temps down. Also make sure to set custom fan curves.

6 minutes ago, turtle3146 said:

So I participated in the Folding earlier this year (March I think) for Covid-19. And back then it was around 2 weeks or so.
I want to participate again, and i want to give it my all with my 2080TI and my 1080. But i'm a little worried about the effects on the silicon for running them that hot for that long...
I know that things like graphics cards that were used for mining are often bad because they worked doing hard tasks 24/7 for long periods of time.
Should I be worried about messing up my hardware? Should I only have it go on medium to help with temps?
For reference i'm running a test WU now on medium load and my CPU (3800x) is at 90% usage and is at 80 degrees C, and my GPU is at 50% and around 75C.
I'm just really worried about degrading the silicon on my hardware by doing this for a month straight. Am I worrying for nothing? 
Sorry if this is a stupid question or has already been answered.

Dropping the power target is exactly what I did on my 2080 for a while after the competition.  Even 150W is quite respectable and pulled my temps down considerably.

Although I believe the reason mining cards get damaged is not as much from 24/7 use as it is from people cramming as many cards close together as possible, so they run much hotter than a single card on its own.

After the competition I did notice the VRM heatpads had sweat through the PCB, but then this card was in an ITX case where it would hit 84C.  Now its in a full ATX case and running MUCH cooler, it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse and the fan runs much slower.

As for the CPU, that depends a lot on your cooler and if you are overclocking/over-volting.  My 9900k peaks quite hot at stock so I've generally shied away from using it flat out for long periods.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Dropping the power target is exactly what I did on my 2080 for a while after the competition.  Even 150W is quite respectable and pulled my temps down considerably.

Although I believe the reason mining cards get damaged is not as much from 24/7 use as it is from people cramming as many cards close together as possible, so they run much hotter than a single card on its own.

After the competition I did notice the VRM heatpads had sweat through the PCB, but then this card was in an ITX case where it would hit 84C.  Now its in a full ATX case and running MUCH cooler, it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse and the fan runs much slower.

As for the CPU, that depends a lot on your cooler and if you are overclocking/over-volting.  My 9900k peaks quite hot at stock so I've generally shied away from using it flat out for long periods.

Thanks! Yeah im using the stock cooler that came with my 3800x but im not over-clocking it. Although im considering getting a tower cooler for it to help with temps. Im in an ATX case so that helps. and for sure after this im going to go through and replace things like the thermal paste. Actually come to think of it doing that now might not be the worst idea, its been about 10 months...
My GPU is hitting around 80C and the fans are at about %70. But I think im gonna drop the power target like you said.
Big thanks for the help!

19 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Thanks! I might just not do CPU as you said, or drop its power consumption. Ive also thought about getting a tower cooler for it as at the moment it only has the stock cooler.

6 minutes ago, turtle3146 said:

Thanks! Yeah im using the stock cooler that came with my 3800x but im not over-clocking it. Although im considering getting a tower cooler for it to help with temps. Im in an ATX case so that helps. and for sure after this im going to go through and replace things like the thermal paste. Actually come to think of it doing that now might not be the worst idea, its been about 10 months...
My GPU is hitting around 80C and the fans are at about %70. But I think im gonna drop the power target like you said.
Big thanks for the help!

Which might also be my problem, I've removed/replaced the heatsink a few times and couldn't be bothered to re-paste as I was planning to replace the motherboard, got one that didn't work right, put it back in the old board, then Z390 boards became impossible to source for reasonable prices and I gave up, thinking I would just replace everything later with either Zen 3 or Intel once they launch PCIe Gen 4.

At the end of the day, there is no way to know how much life were going to get out of any piece of silicon.  We could have a good or bad part that will stress more or less under the same conditions.  So at some point you have to either be really paranoid and not do folding, or just be somewhat cautious and aware that it could reduce the life span, but then you could also get a power surge that fried the whole PC at any time. ;)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Don't worry about the heat they're designed to run at those temperatures.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I wouldn't worry about it.  I have a 980 that has been folding for years going strong.  I run my folding rig 24/7 about 9 months out of the year.  I take summers off because of the heat.  Have been doing that for years without a problem, yes some can go bad, but they can go bad just sitting.  As long as you have reasonable temps I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't let my CPU run over 80C 24/7 and I keep my GPU under 75C.