Connect UPS into a Surge Protector

BejoBarokah
Go to solution Solved by GhostRoadieBL,

between the 2 options UPS to surge protector is better for the UPS but neither will hurt the equipment. 

the surge protector filters power going through it before sending it to each device, this filtering can cause the UPS to display a different load than is actually being used. UPS will still last the same amount of time and power will still be sent to all the devices from the UPS in the case of a power failure.

This is the same reason for the UPS to be plugged directly into the wall rather than into the surge protector, filtered power is not going to hurt the UPS or equipment attached however you may get random beeps as the UPS momentarily has to use battery power to supply power while the surge protector is distributing the filtered power (typically when you plug in a new device and the surge protector has to balance the power between everything connected)

Hey, first of all, sorry if i got into the wrong sub forum. I can't find the one for UPS or Surge Protector, and i think this sub forum is the closest one.

So, where i live, a blackout is unpredictable. That's why i bought an UPS. Then, the grounding where i live is so bad to the point it might even not exist. I live where the electricity is about 220V.

Then, i have an APC PM5GR Surge Protector, and an APC BX1400U-MS UPS, an extension cord, a PC and a monitor.

My only source of power is a single wall socket. So i need either the Surge Protector or extension cord. Fortunately, only the PC consume much power. The other just for electric fan and a phone charger.

What i want to ask is, what is the optimal setup given the situation?

What i mean is, the UPS manual say it shouldn't be connected into a Surge Protector. Then i read online, many agreed, but many also say it should be fine (some even linked that either Alltec or Eaton UPS recommended to connect the UPS into a Surge Protector). That leave me confused. I also find that you shouldn't connect a Surge Protector into an UPS, if this is true then it's not an option. The other option is either just plug the UPS into a normal extension cord or connect the extension cord into the UPS.

My other consideration is that surge protector (both in UPS and Surge Protector) will be depleted sooner or later, is it right? If i can, i would like for the UPS one to last longer. But this is only optional. Ofc the priority is safety and the much more expensive PC.

So any advice? Or atleast some insight as i'm just confused right now. Thank you

between the 2 options UPS to surge protector is better for the UPS but neither will hurt the equipment. 

the surge protector filters power going through it before sending it to each device, this filtering can cause the UPS to display a different load than is actually being used. UPS will still last the same amount of time and power will still be sent to all the devices from the UPS in the case of a power failure.

This is the same reason for the UPS to be plugged directly into the wall rather than into the surge protector, filtered power is not going to hurt the UPS or equipment attached however you may get random beeps as the UPS momentarily has to use battery power to supply power while the surge protector is distributing the filtered power (typically when you plug in a new device and the surge protector has to balance the power between everything connected)

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

34 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Thank you. But i read somewhere that is a fire hazard, something about both surge protector clamping power, is it true?

1 hour ago, BejoBarokah said:

i read somewhere that is a fire hazard

that has to do with 2 things, grounding the circuits and overcurrent on a single outlet of the UPS

if you have a super junky surge protector they use "bus bars" (strips of metal connecting every "like" pin together so grounds are all together, hots together and returns together) this also tends to have the switch on the surge protector only open the hot side of the circuit instead of both. Some power systems have push and pull voltage and this can cause a fire when your UPS is plugged into the surge protector. for example push pull for 220v would have +110v hot and -110v return and they both switch back and forth to give you alternating power, when you turn off the surge protector you'll still have 110v going through the surge protector to the UPS and this can cause all kinds of havoc on the internal circuits charging the batteries. 

second way is when you are splitting a single outlet on the UPS into the surge protector and then out to lots of watts worth of electronics, it's the same as why you should never put a power bar into another power bar as you are straining the single outlet more than if only one device was attached. you can combat this by balancing the things you plug into the surge protector and the UPS, computer, monitor and TV into the UPS directly and then a lamp, phone charger, other low wattage things in to the surge protector. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

31 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

that has to do with 2 things, grounding the circuits and overcurrent on a single outlet of the UPS

if you have a super junky surge protector they use "bus bars" (strips of metal connecting every "like" pin together so grounds are all together, hots together and returns together) this also tends to have the switch on the surge protector only open the hot side of the circuit instead of both. Some power systems have push and pull voltage and this can cause a fire when your UPS is plugged into the surge protector. for example push pull for 220v would have +110v hot and -110v return and they both switch back and forth to give you alternating power, when you turn off the surge protector you'll still have 60v going through the surge protector to the UPS and this can cause all kinds of havoc on the internal circuits charging the batteries. 

second way is when you are splitting a single outlet on the UPS into the surge protector and then out to lots of watts worth of electronics, it's the same as why you should never put a power bar into another power bar as you are straining the single outlet more than if only one device was attached. you can combat this by balancing the things you plug into the surge protector and the UPS, computer, monitor and TV into the UPS directly and then a lamp, phone charger, other low wattage things in to the surge protector. 

Ah okay, thanks.