Help choosing first gaming laptoo

Brockyneo

Hi i live in the UK and I'm deciding between these two laptops primarily for gaming but need a bit of help as I've heard that the amd processor this time around is better then the intel one is this correct? Obviously their is other factors but is one more powerful and better for gaming? Better display ect?

Thanks 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-legion-5p-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-rtx-2060-256-gb-ssd-10205989-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an517-17-3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-2060-256-gb-ssd-10206002-pdt.html

Gaming laptops are in a hard place right now as they’ve got last gen GPUs still selling as new.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I've got an Acer Helios 300 with a 1660Ti in it. Works good, can't imagine needing much more beef than what it's got for laptop stuff. Got mine for about $1000 last year, it's a great deal for performance per dollar. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Keep in mind 9750 runs hotter than 4800h.

So if GPU the same, i would get the ryzen.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Keep in mind 9750 runs hotter than 4800h.

So if GPU the same, i would get the ryzen.

Ryzen 2 and ryzen plus are different animals though. There were some hardware unboxed reviews that showed stupendous performance for ryzen2 apus but also talked about how hard to get they were.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yeah good luck finding a Ryzen laptop that’s premium. All the super nice laptops have intel chips in them

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

6 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Yeah good luck finding a Ryzen laptop that’s premium. All the super nice laptops have intel chips in them

All the ones that can be bought anyway.  The 8/16 apu ryzen laptops are going so fast they don’t even make it to the sales floor.  The biggest problem the manufacturers have at the moment (and it’s a big problem) is getting enough 4xxx ryzen CPUs to put in laptops they already have orders for, and a lot of them are failing. 

Thanks for the replys does the cpu play a good part in gaming im assuming the 4800h is a newer more powerful then the 9th gen i7-9750h?

Sorry been away from the pc world a bit now just getting back into things lol

2 minutes ago, Brockyneo said:

Thanks for the replys does the cpu play a good part in gaming im assuming the 4800h is a newer more powerful then the 9th gen i7-9750h?

Sorry been away from the pc world a bit now just getting back into things lol

Yes from a time perspective it is newer, also from a generation perspective, the intel one is 1 generation older.

4800u is suppose to be compared with comet lake 10th gen 10XXXH / U which currently not available in the 8 core counterparts.

For gaming 9750h is good if you don't look at battery life, as the Ryzen consumes less power.

So basically if you can find the Ryzen one available, snatch it asap, if not the Intel one is ok.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes from a time perspective it is newer, also from a generation perspective, the intel one is 1 generation older.

4800u is suppose to be compared with comet lake 10th gen 10XXXH / U which currently not available in the 8 core counterparts.

For gaming 9750h is good if you don't look at battery life, as the Ryzen consumes less power.

So basically if you can find the Ryzen one available, snatch it asap, if not the Intel one is ok.

Thanks I've listed two in the op which I'm thinking about sorry to ask which one would you go for if any one has the amd and one intel both with rtx 2060 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Brockyneo said:

Thanks I've listed two in the op which I'm thinking about sorry to ask which one would you go for if any one has the amd and one intel both with rtx 2060 

Thanks 

Already answered that.

38 minutes ago, Brockyneo said:

For £300? No.

Yes, it does came with 16gb ram and 512 ssd.

But, ram and ssd are easy to upgrade, CPU and GPU aren't.

8gb ram cost just $20-30, 512gb ssd around $60.

You can sell the 256gb ssd for around $30.

So the total cost for you to upgrade is only $90 at worst.

Looking at the specs, the ryzen came with no HDD, meaning that you can plug another HDD (1-2TB) in the empty slot.

So having a 256gb SSD is not a problem, if you can have a 2TB HDD on the side.

For the performance the Ryzen one have 8 cores 16 threads, where the 10750H have 6 cores and 12 threads.

The Intel one has a higher clock speed, in return higher performance in single cored applications such as OLD games (and higher temperature).

The Ryzen one has more computing cores, it will demolish Intel at multithreaded applications, it supports 3200 DDR4 instead of 3000 for intel.

In summary, AMD Ryzen 4800H will decimate, any Intel laptop CPU at the moment.

Look at this review, 4800h is the top of the pack in most test.

Thanks thats cleared it up sorry for the noob questions just wasn't sure which was best for the money obviously can go on forever if money was no object I'd get a £3000 aliaweare haha 😀 

Just remember the days where intel was the go to for gaming and everyone avoided amd lol

One more properly silly question do all games work on amd as didn't some games only work on intel?

11 minutes ago, Brockyneo said:

One more properly silly question do all games work on amd as didn't some games only work on intel?

This question is 20 years late. If that games for windows, it will run on any AMD cpu.

10 years ago i can't recommend AMD laptops, but now is the other way around.

It is cheaper, cooler and more powerful.

28 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This question is 20 years late. If that games for windows, it will run on any AMD cpu.

10 years ago i can't recommend AMD laptops, but now is the other way around.

It is cheaper, cooler and more powerful.

Wow I need to catch up lol didn't think I'd see the day amd took over intel 

Guess best setup is amd and nvidia then think this is my best option then thanks for all your help everyone 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-legion-5p-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-rtx-2060-256-gb-ssd-10205989-pdt.html

If you can find one available, you are lucky.

AMD 4th gen laptop is short in stocks (at least these 3 months).

34 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you can find one available, you are lucky.

AMD 4th gen laptop is short in stocks (at least these 3 months).

On currys website UK I can get it next day delivery unless their web site is wrong 😅 

I'm assuming the laptop I've posted is a 4th gen amd?

Yes 4800H is the 4th gen (or 3rd gen -- long story).

51 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes 4800H is the 4th gen (or 3rd gen -- long story).

Ok thanks well thanks for all your help think if I didn't ask I would of ended up getting the inferior product lol I've ended up ordering this one for next day delivery

So I must be one of the lucky ones to have the amd 4800h wounder why here in the UK amd is not very popular with laptops over intel 

I've been looking at one of the Lenovo Legion 5s with the AMD CPU and a 1660ti graphics card. I don't play a TON of games, so that one seems a reasonable price for a reasonably powerful PC. If you get an AMD + 2060 combo, I think you're in good territory just so long as you're not buying it for ray tracing, because even the desktop variants are a little under-powered in that department. And Lenovo seems to have a strong rep for quality builds and good cooling.

Just now, Cwell88 said:

I've been looking at one of the Lenovo Legion 5s with the AMD CPU and a 1660ti graphics card. I don't play a TON of games, so that one seems a reasonable price for a reasonably powerful PC. If you get an AMD + 2060 combo, I think you're in good territory just so long as you're not buying it for ray tracing, because even the desktop variants are a little under-powered in that department. And Lenovo seems to have a strong rep for quality builds and good cooling.

Yes seems to be the best buy to be honest I didn't knownalot about the new cpu/gpu ect but after some help here it definitely seems a good buy 144hz refresh display and decent performance think its missing thunderbolt but never mind 😉 

Hmm... what would be my move for a gaming laptop right now.... I might actually pick a machine with no discrete gpu at all but did have thunderbolt and just run an egpu if I didn’t need the thing to game AND be portable at the same time.   The problem is while good CPUs, screens, and keyboards can be found in current laptops, the gpu situation is just a mess. Ironically this may put Mac laptops in the mix which are famous for sucking hard at gaming (primarily because Apple has a history of charging top tier prices for medium tier discrete GPUs and not offering top tier discrete GPUs at all) 

Hi everyone well it arrived and very impressed with it just a question does the setup have better hardware then my ps4 pro like graphics ect and is it comparable to the ps5 when that comes out