WordPress - Setting up Categories, Tags & Attributes Properly (Advice Needed)

Hey all, hope this is the correct place in the form to post this kind of question.

Just seeking some confirmation on using Categories, Tags & Attributes correctly when setting up Woo Store.

In my example I will be selling Movies and Music. Within each of these will be genre and also format type (DVD, bluray, 4K.. ect)

From my current understanding The structure should look something like this..

Parent Categories
- Music
- Movies

Sub Categories of parents (Genre)
- Action
- Adventure
- Crime
- Ect…

Tags
- Actors
- Region
- Language
- Ect..

Attributes
- DVD
- Ect…

Does this sound correct?

The confusing part was under which section Genre should fit into because they could also fit under tags or attributes I believe.

The aim is to have one page with each respective parent category and the ability to refine the selection based on Genre and media format with Tags being searchable content.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

21 hours ago, Vash. said:

Hey all, hope this is the correct place in the form to post this kind of question.

Just seeking some confirmation on using Categories, Tags & Attributes correctly when setting up Woo Store.

In my example I will be selling Movies and Music. Within each of these will be genre and also format type (DVD, bluray, 4K.. ect)

From my current understanding The structure should look something like this..

--SNIP--

Does this sound correct?

The confusing part was under which section Genre should fit into because they could also fit under tags or attributes I believe.

The aim is to have one page with each respective parent category and the ability to refine the selection based on Genre and media format with Tags being searchable content. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

While I haven't had to setup a Woo Commerce based WordPress store in AGES, I think you're on the right track. If I were a user visiting your side wishing to browse instead of just searching for items, I'd typically look for media by type (movie, music, tv show, game, book, etc.) then by genre (horror, thriller, suspense, drama, comedy, etc.) and expect the medium (paperback, eBook, DVD, streamable, MP3, FLAC, etc.) to be an attribute or "format" of the media.

However, I understand the pains of trying to determine whether tags or categories & sub-categories. The official Woo Commerce documentation gives a few examples of when to use categories, tags, and attributes, so you may wish to give it a read over. There are also quite a few other resources you can check out, but ultimately may wish to list all the different types of products you're planning to sell using sticky notes and waterfall lanes on a whiteboard so you can simulate how to lay these out.

https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/managing-product-taxonomies/

https://builtmighty.com/blog/woocommerce-product-categories-tags-attributes/

https://code.tutsplus.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-woocommerce-product-tags-categories-attributes--cms-22622

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, kirashi said:

While I haven't had to setup a Woo Commerce based WordPress store in AGES, I think you're on the right track. If I were a user visiting your side wishing to browse instead of just searching for items, I'd typically look for media by type (movie, music, tv show, game, book, etc.) then by genre (horror, thriller, suspense, drama, comedy, etc.) and expect the medium (paperback, eBook, DVD, streamable, MP3, FLAC, etc.) to be an attribute or "format" of the media.

However, I understand the pains of trying to determine whether tags or categories & sub-categories. The official Woo Commerce documentation gives a few examples of when to use categories, tags, and attributes, so you may wish to give it a read over. There are also quite a few other resources you can check out, but ultimately may wish to list all the different types of products you're planning to sell using sticky notes and waterfall lanes on a whiteboard so you can simulate how to lay these out.

https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/managing-product-taxonomies/

https://builtmighty.com/blog/woocommerce-product-categories-tags-attributes/

https://code.tutsplus.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-woocommerce-product-tags-categories-attributes--cms-22622

Thanks heaps for the response and info mate, was begining to think no one would respond. It's really appreciated.

Ultimately I had trouble trying to figure out if Genre should be a secondary Category, Tag or Attribute as it technically could be either however, I would like to use best practice and make sure it's done correctly. I plan to add several 100 items so as you can imagine it will be VERY annoying having to re-do it if wrong.

The Woo com info was good to get a scope of how to use category, tags and attributes.. it did confuse me a little as they used clothing as an example which, didn't have as many variables as movies/music. 

Eg..

Parent Categories
- T-shirt

Tags
- Cat prints

Attributes
- Size
- Colour

With this example I feel like Cat prints should be a secondary/nested category instead of a Tag.

Good idea about the post-it notes. I may give that a crack as I find it easier to figure things out when it's physically tangible.