Subnet newb needs help

ShearMe

Alright, so I made the mistake of setting some devices to a subnet mask of 255.255.255.254

What windows IP settings do I need to employ to actually be able to reach the webportal of the devices to reconfigure their network settings?

3 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

Alright, so I made the mistake of setting some devices to a subnet mask of 255.255.255.254

What windows IP settings do I need to employ to actually be able to reach the webportal of the devices to reconfigure their network settings?

i mean it depends on the ip's that you own/pay for.

as a device with that subnet mask only has space for itself on the subent.

don't you have physical access to the devices

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

i mean it depends on the ip's that you own/pay for.

don't you have physical access to the devices

Yes, I have physical access to the devices

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

Actually, a /31 mask allows for point to point connectivity so one host would be .0 and the other .1 if you do 192.168.0.0/31 as an example. OP would need to connect directly to the device and configure the other available IP in that subnet on their device to access it to fix this.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

if you can access the device and plug in a keyboard/mouse, just edit the subnet to a 255.255.255.0 this would put them in the same subnet as all other devices which ip starts with (ip used is purely random and to make an example) 192.168.0.XXX

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Actually, a /31 mask allows for point to point connectivity so one host would be .0 and the other .1 if you do 192.168.0.0/31 as an example. OP would need to connect directly to the device and configure the other available IP in that subnet on their device to access it to fix this.

oh, i must be remembering incorrectly.

but wouldn't a /31 allow one host since the two others would be occupied for the network/broadcast adresses

Devices configured with the /31 mask do not have keyboard/mouse capability. Can only factory reset or "log in" through a web portal to change settings.

Just now, flashiling said:

but wouldn't a /31 allow one host since the two others would be occupied for the network/broadcast adresses

A /31 is actually 2 addresses and is just a "broadcast" and "network" address but instead of leaving them "idle" in a sense you use both of those for each end of the link. It's used a lot in enterprise settings to conserve address space so you're not burning 4 addresses with a /30 but just 2 with a /31 since in most cases you don't need the other two :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, ShearMe said:

Devices configured with the /31 mask do not have keyboard/mouse capability. Can only factory reset or "log in" through a web portal to change settings.

You would have to reset them to factory defaults or plug in a laptop or something, set the other side to the other address in the subet of /31 and then access it via browser on your device.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, flashiling said:

For typical subnetting, yes. 

However, for a point to point link, the broadcast address doesn't really apply as there's only one address for it to "broadcast" to. 

This video explains to pretty well:

Just now, Lurick said:

A /31 is actually 2 addresses and is just a "broadcast" and "network" address but instead of leaving them "idle" in a sense you use both of those for each end of the link. It's used a lot in enterprise settings to conserve address space so you're not burning 4 addresses with a /30 but just 2 with a /31 since in most cases you don't need the other two :)

oh, will remember that as i'm going back to school in a few weeks :)

Just now, Lurick said:

You would have to reset them to factory defaults or plug in a laptop or something, set the other side to the other address in the subet of /31 and then access it via browser on your device.

Ok, so I'm connected with a laptop... what's the "other address" I should be using for the laptop? 10.60.13.104 is the device, for example

Just now, flashiling said:

oh, will remember that as i'm going back to school in a few weeks :)

Yah, it was something I didn't see in school either, they stopped at /30s for subnetting and then /32 for host and a lot of older devices would actually warn you if you configured a /31 subnet because it wasn't as common 5-10 years ago.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, ShearMe said:

Ok, so I'm connected with a laptop... what's the "other address" I should be using for the laptop? 10.60.13.104 is the device, for example

In that case it would be 10.60.13.105

I would use this to make it easy and just set the mask to /31 and put in the device IP and calculate what you need to set your laptop/PC to:

https://www.calculator.net/ip-subnet-calculator.html

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, ShearMe said:

10.60.13.105/31

Well, crap. +1 is what I have been trying to use for the past half hour. Guess I'll bite the bullet and get those resets rolling.

Thanks dudes.