1080p or 1440p with a catch ...

LordVetinari

Which would generally be considered better for a PC mainly used for gaming:

In my budget I could get 1080p at a high refresh rate (144+) or a 1440p at 75? I could possibly stretch to a 4k monitor but would perhaps be overkill unless I ran it at 1080? Unfortunately the wallet just won't stretch to 4k at 144. 

I currently have a 1070ti, but will be looking to upgrade to a 3060 or 3070 (or AMD equivalent) sometime next year so I don't want to undercook this too much.

Size will be between 27" to 32".

2 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

Which would generally be considered better for a PC mainly used for gaming:

In my budget I could get 1080p at a high refresh rate (144+) or a 1440p at 75? I could possibly stretch to a 4k monitor but would perhaps be overkill unless I ran it at 1080? Unfortunately the wallet just won't stretch to 4k at 144. 

I currently have a 1070ti, but will be looking to upgrade to a 3060 or 3070 (or AMD equivalent) sometime next year so I don't want to undercook this too much.

Size will be between 27" to 32".

If you play FPS multiplayer games or racing games : Go with higher refresh rates

For other games you want a better resolution than hertz

Ideally you want both :P 

personally i prefer hz over res, so i stayed at 1080p240

with your GPU of choice, 1440p144 is nice balance

but if i had to pick from your option, 1080p144

just make sure your games can run at those refresh rate, the 3070 will run games at that fps in ultra, but it depends on your CPU

my 3900x cant run some AAA titles above 150fps avg, so my 2070S is just yawning at 1080p

CPU bound at high fps is common, but not a bad thing (it's still 150fps after all)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

If you play FPS multiplayer games or racing games : Go with higher refresh rates

For other games you want a better resolution than hertz

Ideally you want both :P 

Thanks, I'm more an RPG/strategy kinda chap with only a light dusting of racing/FPS so that pretty much answers that. I definitely won't be competing in any eSports anytime soon either.

I definitely want both, but the wife is asking awkward questions....

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

personally i prefer hz over res, so i stayed at 1080p240

with your GPU of choice, 1440p144 is nice balance

but if i had to pick from your option, 1080p144

just make sure your games can run at those refresh rate, the 3070 will run games at that fps in ultra, but it depends on your CPU

my 3900x cant run some AAA titles above 150fps avg, so my 2070S is just yawning at 1080p

CPU bound at high fps is common, but not a bad thing (it's still 150fps after all)

I could probably stretch to a 1440 at 144 on a budget panel, iiyama do one that has seemingly decent reviews.

I currently have a R5 3600xt so I am expecting to be a little CPU bound anyway when I upgrade my card. (Hence the possibility of the 3060, depending on spec to avoid any huge bottlenecks)

Just now, LordVetinari said:

R5 3600xt

it's plenty enough, it'll perform the same as 3900x in games, so 3070 will be just fine

if you're looking at 3070, I recommend 1440p144

you can go with 3060 and 1080p144, it's a more budget option, and still game just as well

1440p is clearer, but the gaming experience should be the same, unless you like sight seeing :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I would pick the 1440p@75hz, I play a lot but also work/read/series/movies a lot, I like the bigger resolution so i can put excel + firefox side by side, or CorelDraw + Firerox PiP, etc.

1 hour ago, LordVetinari said:

Thanks, I'm more an RPG/strategy kinda chap with only a light dusting of racing/FPS so that pretty much answers that. I definitely won't be competing in any eSports anytime soon either.

I definitely want both, but the wife is asking awkward questions....

RPG / Strategy -- > Resolution first !!! Go with 1440p

For budget 144hz 1440p, I would suggest these two.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/pixio/px7-prime

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl83a-b

Pixio should be 400USD, and LG is even under that right now on Amazon.

You can also get some decent VA panels for $300-350, but they'll suffer from lots of ghosting.

You should read the sticky as it has lots of good information.