Starting dongle life, help? How to split USB C to display type C and charging type C?

chnapo

I recently bought used Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3". Awesome laptop. It has HDMI 1.4, dual USB A, 3,5mm jack and USB Type-C that is used for everything - charging, data and display out. It is capable of outputting 4K at 60Hz. Now my problem is, that I can either output 4K 60Hz or charge my laptop. As far as I searched, I have not found any solution.

I have two ideas.
Either I get Type-C dongle that will split my type-C into HDMI 2.0 (or displayport 1.4), couple of USBs, ethernet, SD card reader and charging port (and potentially a full USB-C port with video out at 4K 60Hz?). But I don´t think such dongle exists (and sells for a reasonable price) - I have spoken to a local USB hub and dongle company and they said that with current technology they cannot make dongle with HDMI 2.0 and my laptop will only provide DP 1.2. Is that true for all companies or just for that company?

Or I get a basic dongle without display output (I mean if it is not 4K60 then I don´t care) and some kind of Type-C splitter that would allow me to split that port into 4k60 video out AND another type C with charging.

Now I am aware that there are monitors with PD but I want to connect to my TV that does not feature PD over type-C. I would use Type-C to HDMI 2.0 cable (which company confirmed would work with my laptop). Simply said, how do I output 4k60 and charge my laptop at the same time please?

12 hours ago, Slottr said:

Kingston Nucleum.

That is all.

Are you sure this dongle can handle 4k60 output via USB C? Because it is nowhere to be found in the specs, and the HDMI is 1.4!

44 minutes ago, chnapo said:

Are you sure this dongle can handle 4k60 output via USB C? Because it is nowhere to be found in the specs, and the HDMI is 1.4!

Nope HDMI 1.4 only supports up to 30hz @4K

image.png.0d18ec06ac474c52c31fe0989afd0650.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 hours ago, chnapo said:

No it won’t, but that’s a reasonably priced unit. Otherwise you’ll be looking at something like the caldigit TS3 or a caldigit mini dock which all run for 150$ +

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

No it won’t, but that’s a reasonably priced unit. Otherwise you’ll be looking at something like the caldigit TS3 or a caldigit mini dock which all run for 150$ +

bro but that is the only reason why I asked :D I asked for a dock that can output at 4k60 and I almost bought what you recommended, which is not capable of 4k60 :D

2 hours ago, chnapo said:

bro but that is the only reason why I asked :D I asked for a dock that can output at 4k60 and I almost bought what you recommended, which is not capable of 4k60 :D

Your options are super limited and really thats one of the only options under 100$.

Maybe check an Anker powerexpand (I think thats what they're called)- that may be what you're looking for.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

11 hours ago, chnapo said:

I was asking about the USB-C port in the dongle, not HDMI. HDMI sure can only handle 30Hz as it is 1.4.

Sorry about that :)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.