How to Progress from Being a Beginner

Go to solution Solved by Flojer0,

For me the most import thing has always been to find something I like working on and running with that for as long as possible. If unity does that then go for it. That would actually be a good step because you can stick with event driven programming for a little longer and get use to a different environment. Beyond that any of the languages Unity supports will let you do whatever you want. But if you want to learn something you can carry beyond unity then C# is where you want to go since none of the others follow standards.

Hello, I am a bit new to programming with only a few highschool classes of experience. In my school, they only used VB and had an introduction to Java for one class only. I was looking into getting into unity to start getting back into working with code, and I am wonering what code should I learn for unity. Like i said, I have no experience with anything outside of Visual Basic, and I am willing to take any sugestions.

Also: if you think i should start with something other than unity, that would be a great help so that i don't get into anything that is over my head.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

I would start with python.

Like i said, I already have some experience with coding so i don't really need to learn the basics again, I was mostly focussing on where to go from a Visual Basic, because it is made for beginners and I want to be able to do more.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

I would start with python.

I second this, python is such a powerful and versatile language plus it's easy to learn.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Hello, I am a bit new to programming with only a few highschool classes of experience. In my school, they only used VB and had an introduction to Java for one class only. I was looking into getting into unity to start getting back into working with code, and I am wonering what code should I learn for unity. Like i said, I have no experience with anything outside of Visual Basic, and I am willing to take any sugestions.

Also: if you think i should start with something other than unity, that would be a great help so that i don't get into anything that is over my head.

if you want to go into Unity, learn C#, you can do everything that has to do with coding in unity with c#

For me the most import thing has always been to find something I like working on and running with that for as long as possible. If unity does that then go for it. That would actually be a good step because you can stick with event driven programming for a little longer and get use to a different environment. Beyond that any of the languages Unity supports will let you do whatever you want. But if you want to learn something you can carry beyond unity then C# is where you want to go since none of the others follow standards.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

If you want to do unity, just download it and start playing with it. And since it's most optimized for C#, you can do small, not necessarily game-oriented projects on your own, if you can get your hands on Visual Studio.

As you progress, you can jump into XNA, which is code-based without GUI around it. 

Once you get comfortable with C#, you have open doors towards C++ if it interests you, and effectively most game engines you can freely put your hands on :)

In terms of java experience how much do you have? Let's say that I give you a task which is to create an accounting system which calculates the inputted value's percentage would you be able to create that for me with no issues and without doing allot of research so not having to search online how to find a percentage and then find out how to create a gui etc...? If not then expand your java knowledge to the point where you would be able to create a project at ease with barely having to research anything.