HELP: 1080ti XOC Bios funkyness

SolarNova

Greetings all.

Need some help with those who've had experience with Bios modding their 1080ti.

I've got a Gigabyte 1080ti OC (basic reference design), its on a custom loop.

Prior to the Bios Flash it had issues with power limits, best i could manage was roughly 2012mhz to remain stable in everything, but that would drop considerable at 4k gaming and benchmarks, into the low 1900mhz and even high 1800s in superposition iirc, all from power limit. At 1080p in normal gaming it would stick to 2012mhz, and even 2025mhz if i set it there.

Anyway, i got the XOC bios flashed, no more power problems, but the voltage and OC controls in MSi afterburner and Precision (tried separately) are going crazy.

It just wont do as its told, wants to stick to 1.125v, and the voltage curve utility just keeps 'auto adjusting' to seemingly random values higher or lower than what im trying to set it to, for example if i try to limit the top of the curve to 1.05v and 2012mhz, it just wont do it, not until i put a load on the GPU then adjust the curve on the fly.

Then it will work, but ofc the profile which is then saved when applied during start up wont work properly and ill be at 1.125v again and base 1999mhz clock.

So ...with my 1080ti version (Gigabyte OC , the one with the white and orange cooler), any advice on what Bios would work ?

I dont want to flash the Bios more than i have to, anything goes wrong and im in trouble as my system doesnt have a iGPU and my loop design means i cant plug in an old card without disassembling the entire waterloop.

Cheers.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 3 months later...

Hey there, sorry for the late reply. Do you mean the Gigabyte 1080 Ti Gaming OC? I've got lots of experience with those ones; even pushed one so far to the limit I killed it with XOC; thanks to the mediocre VRM-Design requiring way more cooling than usual. Short list of facts/recommendations to make it quick:

- It is, in fact, NOT a founders edition, but a custom PCB

- Doesn't seem to react to shunt-modding at all

- Sometimes developes coil whine

- Sensitive to Bios changes. An incompatible Bios may instantly kill the 1080 Ti, instead of only bricking it temporarily.

- Cooling the VRM-Section well (especially the MosFETs!) is insanely important, as the card on it's own may draw more than double the power of what it was designed for with XOC, up to 600W. VRM-Throttling is also a thing

- No issues with MSI-Afterburner with it at that time, though I never used the curve on that card - being on air - as it stopped scaling with voltage above 1,1V @75C

- Had a similar issue with my current founders edition; Voltage barrier at 1,125V not using the curve. Using it and increasing voltage to 1,2V solved it. Make sure the graph doesn't go down again after your top clock, elsewise it won't work.

What exactly do you mean with "It just won't do it", concerning the clock-behaviour? Does it apply at all without using the curve? What's the PerfCap-Reason (GPU-Z)? Do you use the EVGA or ASUS XOC-Bios? Did you do a clean driver install after flashing the bios? GPUs sometimes also regulate the clocks down within a given voltage, if detected as more stable. Also depends on the aggressiveness of the curve.

I hope this brainstorming helps a little!

I ended up trying  couple bioses, including XOC. In the end the card was less stable and couldnt clock as high than on its stock bios. (2012-2025)

Just gunna leave it there.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |