GPU for WORK (no gaming)

PandaGab68
Go to solution Solved by PandaGab68,

for thoses wondering, he finally cashed up and we built him a nice working pc for under 500$ CAD!! 

hi guys, I have a friend who have been given an old lenovo m78 slim pc. He came to me asking for upgrades. I had a ryzen 1600 for him and he really want to have it. The thing is that it isn't an apu! so we need a video/Graphics card. He only work and do web browsing on this pc. He will only use Microsoft office, do some Facebook and some youtube. Want should we get im in a $100-$150 range that is worth buying? 

btw I'll upgrade the mobo to a am4 m-atx, so yes the cpu will fit haha

~(O.o)~ 

R5 3600x  MSI MPG x570 Gaming EDGE Wi-Fi   Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO (black) 2x8GB 3600MHz  Zotac GTX 1070ti AMP! Edition 8GB  EVGA 750W B2  Noctua NH-D15S Chromax ‖ 2 × Be quiet!  SILENTWING 3 140mm / x Be quiet! PUREWING 2 140mm / 1 x Be quiet! PUREWING 2 120mm  Corsair 540 air (black)

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

a gt1030 is enough for him

is there any brand we should look for or avoid? 🤔 

~(O.o)~ 

R5 3600x  MSI MPG x570 Gaming EDGE Wi-Fi   Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO (black) 2x8GB 3600MHz  Zotac GTX 1070ti AMP! Edition 8GB  EVGA 750W B2  Noctua NH-D15S Chromax ‖ 2 × Be quiet!  SILENTWING 3 140mm / x Be quiet! PUREWING 2 140mm / 1 x Be quiet! PUREWING 2 120mm  Corsair 540 air (black)

Just now, PandaGab68 said:

in case of a gt1030 in that use case no

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

4 minutes ago, PandaGab68 said:

There is 2 versions of the gt 1030 one wiht ddr4 and one with gddr5. DON'T but the ddr4 one.

9 minutes ago, PandaGab68 said:

hi guys, I have a friend who have been given an old lenovo m78 slim pc. He came to me asking for upgrades. I had a ryzen 1600 for him and he really want to have it. The thing is that it isn't an apu! so we need a video/Graphics card. He only work and do web browsing on this pc. He will only use Microsoft office, do some Facebook and some youtube. Want should we get im in a $100-$150 range that is worth buying? 

btw I'll upgrade the mobo to a am4 m-atx, so yes the cpu will fit haha

Yup, as mentioned above a lot profile GT 1030 will be more than enough.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gt-1030-gt1030-2g-csm/p/N82E16814126203?Item=N82E16814126203

It's also going to be 100% silent, since there's no fan at all.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, ishapli8 said:

There is 2 versions of the gt 1030 one wiht ddr4 and one with gddr5. DON'T but the ddr4 one.

It doesn't matter in the slightest. This card will not see any gaming

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ishapli8 said:

he doesnt no want to game or something graphical

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Yup, as mentioned above a lot profile GT 1030 will be more than enough.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gt-1030-gt1030-2g-csm/p/N82E16814126203?Item=N82E16814126203

It's also going to be 100% silent, since there's no fan at all.

I would not recommend a passive cooler for a case that is starved for airflow, it's not like a GT 1030 would be loud anyway but a fan would help ensure that it's performing properly, and I'm very aware that it doesn't consume much power but it is designed with case-airflow in mind

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Syn. said:

I would not recommend a passive cooler for a case that is starved for airflow, it's not like a GT 1030 would be loud anyway but a fan would help ensure that it's performing properly, and I'm very aware that it doesn't consume much power but it is designed with case-airflow in mind

The thing is, it will never get fully loaded. This card is going to spend most if not all its lifetime in 2D workload frequency

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 3400G APU would have equally adequate performance also. But if not planning upgrading CPU then disregard this.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The thing is, it will never get fully loaded. This card is going to spend most if not all its lifetime in 2D workload frequency

It's difficult to assume what he would do with his PC in the next however many years he plans to keep it, we don't know if he would do any type of simple 3D work on it, or video edit or hell maybe he wants to play some WoW because he just felt like it, it's best to recommend based on his case condition rather than banking on that the card would never get used, which is absurd.

those passive cards reach 70C+ in a proper case and it could overheat in a case with a single 90mm fan

8 minutes ago, Syn. said:

It's difficult to assume what he would do with his PC in the next however many years he plans to keep it, we don't know if he would do any type of simple 3D work on it, or video edit or hell maybe he wants to play some WoW because he just felt like it, it's best to recommend based on his case condition rather than banking on that the card would never get used, which is absurd.

those passive cards reach 70C+ in a proper case and it could overheat in a case with a single 90mm fan

Actually I'm going to stop this argument because a version with a fan is available for the same price. OP can make the choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L4VKF6

You're right that this will run cooler and fully loaded in a case with bad airflow might take it to the high 80s

I started with the passive one because I hate the noise of small fans xD

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

On 9/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, Energycore said:

It doesn't matter in the slightest. This card will not see any gaming

no chance of that happening haha he isn't a gamer by any means 😂 

~(O.o)~ 

On 9/26/2020 at 12:56 PM, Syn. said:

it will be in a deepcool matrexx 30 with 2x120mm intake and 1x120mm exhaust. should be plenty of airflow here! 💨 be quiet! silentwing for those who wanna know. If anything happen over 80°c i'll look for something else. 

~(O.o)~ 

1 hour ago, PandaGab68 said:

it will be in a deepcool matrexx 30 with 2x120mm intake and 1x120mm exhaust. should be plenty of airflow here! 💨 be quiet! silentwing for those who wanna know. If anything happen over 80°c i'll look for something else. 

Then it should be okay, but at that point you're not using any of the m78 components and it's a completely new system

• 2 weeks later...

for thoses wondering, he finally cashed up and we built him a nice working pc for under 500$ CAD!! 

~(O.o)~