Need help choosing custom loop parts

Thomas G

Hey, I'm thinking of doing a custom water cooling loop for the first time this christmas, and I am a bit stuck on some of the parts. I will be cooling a 3960x threadripper alongside a strix 3090, and I have decided I will be getting a 360mm radiator and a slightly thicker 240mm radiator. What I am unsure of is whether I should use the 360mm radiator on the 3090 or the 3960x, as the 3960x also draws quite a bit of power. Another thing I am unsure of is whether the pump/res combo i have selected (EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 PWM D-RGB - Plexi) is going to be sufficient. Below I listed the parts I currently have selected for the loop. Thanks in advance!Untitled2.png.96919c9427c84416bacab4504147c9e3.png

I've recently build my first custom loop too. But i went for soft-tubing. Also bought everything from EK and had zero issues and i'm very happy with my results. The D5 pump/res combo is as good as it gets. WIth hard-line you'd also want some silicon insert for bending the tubes without kinkin them. And you'll want to plan a lot of budget into fittings and angle adapters, to make the look as clean as possible. I needed ~2m of tubing for my build, so expect a lot more hard-line tubing. As it's your first time also get even more tubing because you will make mistakes when doing your first bends. I would get at least 2 360mm rads for your hardware combo, as both of your parts are very high powered. Power usage is expected somewhere in the neighbourhood of 630W under full load and pretty much the same heat output.

Edit: Also get a ATX PSU bridging plug to let the pump run on it's own while the rest of the system is unpowered to test for leaks without breaking any of your expensive hardware. I'd also look into a ball valve to have an easy drain later on when it's time for maintenance.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Youre making one loop, so you will be using the 360 on both components. You wont be picking which one it cools. Id fit more rad if you could either way. I assume that the 360 is gonna be intake and the 240 will be exhausting. Sounds like a system thats gonna run hot or have high fan settings. Does the mobo have a temp probe header? Id get one for the fluid if possible. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I've recently build my first custom loop too. But i went for soft-tubing. Also bought everything from EK and had zero issues and i'm very happy with my results. The D5 pump/res combo is as good as it gets. WIth hard-line you'd also want some silicon insert for bending the tubes without kinkin them. And you'll want to plan a lot of budget into fittings and angle adapters, to make the look as clean as possible. I needed ~2m of tubing for my build, so expect a lot more hard-line tubing. As it's your first time also get even more tubing because you will make mistakes when doing your first bends. I would get at least 2 360mm rads for your hardware combo, as both of your parts are very high powered. Power usage is expected somewhere in the neighbourhood of 630W under full load and pretty much the same heat output.

Edit: Also get a ATX PSU bridging plug to let the pump run on it's own while the rest of the system is unpowered to test for leaks without breaking any of your expensive hardware. I'd also look into a ball valve to have an easy drain later on when it's time for maintenance.

Thanks for the information. I still need to look into fittings a bit more as there are so many different types, and yeah they are definitely not cheap. I think 4-5 2 packs of hard tubing should hopefully be enough, as it will leave room for error, but I might get even more to be on the safe side. I was considering going for 2 360mm radiators, but the problem is my case (Corsair 750D airflow) only supports one 360mm afaik. 

19 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Youre making one loop, so you will be using the 360 on both components. You wont be picking which one it cools. Id fit more rad if you could either way. I assume that the 360 is gonna be intake and the 240 will be exhausting. Sounds like a system thats gonna run hot or have high fan settings. Does the mobo have a temp probe header? Id get one for the fluid if possible. 

Yeah mb, it is one loop. I think what I meant was like which order should I place the radiators in, if I first have the gpu then the cpu. But I assume that doesn't really matter (or at least i think I saw a video from jayztwocents where he said it wasn't too important). I'm not sure if my motherboard has a temp probe header, I had a look at the specifications on their site (the msi creator trx40) but I didn't see one, unless I wasn't looking properly. If you think one 360 and one 240 won't be enough then I think the only solution for me would be to upgrade my case to one that supports two 360mm rads, as my current one only supports one afaik.