windows server network reccomendations.

hello ltt community! i have a few questions on where to find resources for windows server operating system os networking information i have a few more specific questions as well. some of the questions i think i know the answer to but im not sure if im right.

heres my current pc specs if that effects anything.

Hp p7-1534 from 2013

i have upgraded ram to 24gb (iif they were not faulty they should be 28) but thats what i get for buying the cheapest ram i found

installed a gtx-1650

installed an ssd im not using, it kept causing crashes i havnt looked into the issue yet.

an extra 1tb hdd.

everything else is stock.

oh and a 600w psu

what ports does windows server use.

how does dns server work and what does it do.

what is a dmz 

how does port forwarding work

what is the recommended bandwidth and speed for server to server and server to client communication?

what does it mean when the active directory  has failed to replicate?

how could i connect to my server outside of my lan, like if i was at school, tim hortons another house my work etc. i was thinking like direct access, a vpn, dynamic dns etc

how does d-dns work 

what does dynamic dns do.

im trying to buy a new nic, what would i need for  a windows server environment

im looking to learn about networking and it for free, are there any resources that are of good quality, beside ltt. (watched more for entertainment)

5 minutes ago, conntech said:

what ports does windows server use.

what services are you using? The os doesn't really use any ports on its own, but services like rdp, dns, dhcp, web, ftp and others all use ports.

6 minutes ago, conntech said:

how does dns server work and what does it do.

basically address book of the internet. You give it a name and it gives some information, normally a ip address

6 minutes ago, conntech said:

what is a dmz 

SUbnet that allows all ports to be public, exatly how it works depends on the exact network config

7 minutes ago, conntech said:

how does port forwarding work

When nat is used, multiple private addresses are behind a public address. Port forwarding tells the router when the public ip is accessed what private ip to send that packet to. By default NAT will drop that packet if it doesn't have a destination.

8 minutes ago, conntech said:

what is the recommended bandwidth and speed for server to server and server to client communication?

Really depends on what your doing and what services are being used.

9 minutes ago, conntech said:

what does it mean when the active directory  has failed to replicate?

Ad has a a dfsr volume it uses for ad files like users, passwords, groups and gpo's that all domain controllers need. If there are errors making sure all domain controllers have this it will throw this serror.

9 minutes ago, conntech said:

how could i connect to my server outside of my lan, like if i was at school, tim hortons another house my work etc. i was thinking like direct access, a vpn, dynamic dns etc

Normally open a port that is needed or use a vpn, but depends on the exat setup for what is the best.

10 minutes ago, conntech said:

how does d-dns work 

what does dynamic dns do.

do you mean dynamic dns for d-dns?

Sine most homes have chaning ipv4 addresses, if you want to host publically you ip will change and clients need to change this. DDns will automatically what the dns entry points to as the IP address changes.

11 minutes ago, conntech said:

im trying to buy a new nic, what would i need for  a windows server environment

What does it need to plug into? What switch do you have? What bandwidth do you need?

12 minutes ago, conntech said:

im looking to learn about networking and it for free, are there any resources that are of good quality, beside ltt. (watched more for entertainment)

Best way for me is to make a test lab. Fire up some vms and make a ad network and see how things work.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so i havnt hopped on this forum in a while. so i will answer the questions because i left out many details

for the server the services i will be using is remotedesktop, remote app, network drives, steam, and any other services required for these to operate properly.

thats why im trying to find out what kind of nic i need im assuming its high bandwidth.