Ryzen 3 cpu temperature fluctuations while gaming

Go to solution Solved by Bad5ector,

If you're concerned then I would look into replacing the stock cooler. 75 degrees or even 80s will not degrade the CPU like you are worried about. They have safe guards in place (thermal throttling) to avoid letting the chip get to levels where it will be dangerous for the chip. Think of all the Intel laptops that run at 100 degrees. They are designed that way because they know it can handle it.

Hi there, 

I'm using ryzen 3 3100 cpu on my build and using a stock cooler. my idle temp is around 50C. on BIOS I'm keeping current low idle in power supply idle control and PBO(precision boost overdrive) off to keep the temperature low. Currently I'm playing assassin's creed origins and the cpu temp fluctuates like crazy. It goes from 62 to 75+C. It touches around 75 and automatically its going down and keeps happening especially on AAA games. It doesn't happen on Apex legends or fortnite. Does anyone have solution for this? 

Motherboard: MSI b450 Tomahawk max
GPU: ASUS GTX 750 TI OC
PSU: Corsair CX550

Thanks 

Temp spikes are normal, more load on cpu means the cpu will have to do more work and it will get hotter, temps are perfectly safe. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Temp spikes are normal, more load on cpu means the cpu will have to do more work and it will get hotter, temps are perfectly safe. 

Yes I know its not above 80 but I'm worried about keep playing around 75 for cpu life span..Does this have to do with I have customized smart fan mode? I have customized the fan speed according to the temps

1 hour ago, RajTheGeek said:

but I'm worried about keep playing around 75 for cpu life span

it wont harm anything, i'd star worrying if it reaches 90c plus. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, Bad5ector said:

75 degrees is fine. I would be more worried if it was high 80s or more.

I think it will be when the summer starts.. currently its 32C in my area. In summer it will be 45C

Then if that's your concern,  might need to look into replacing that wraith stock cooler.  But as for your current temps, given your current outside temp, I would say it's performing as expected. 

In summer it will be 45C

80s sill wont hurt anything, but if temps get high to the point of throttling, i guess a better cooler could help with it. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

80s sill wont hurt anything, but if temps get high to the point of throttling, i guess a better cooler could help with it. 

yes at 80 it won't hurt but it will certainly shorten the lifespan if you keep playing around 80C don't you think? One thing I don't get it is that the temps shouldn't be that high of this cpu ryzen 3100. I saw many benchmarks and reviews of this cpu and they were certainly not more that 70C. I would accept my current temps if I had ryzen 3600 or higher. 

If you're concerned then I would look into replacing the stock cooler. 75 degrees or even 80s will not degrade the CPU like you are worried about. They have safe guards in place (thermal throttling) to avoid letting the chip get to levels where it will be dangerous for the chip. Think of all the Intel laptops that run at 100 degrees. They are designed that way because they know it can handle it.

don't you think?

No it wont. 

I don't get it is that the temps shouldn't be that high of this cpu ryzen 3100

they're. fine.

. I saw many benchmarks and reviews of this cpu and they were certainly not more that 70C

there ae many things that affect temps, not the cpu, depends on the case configuration, ambient temps, cooler, airflow etc etc.  

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

No it wont. 

they're. fine.

there ae many things that affect temps, not the cpu, depends on the case configuration, ambient temps, cooler, airflow etc etc.  

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Thanks guys.. I'll look more into the cooler and other things as well. 

CPU today are designed to work well at 100c, so 80c is nothing.

If laptop can handle it, desktop will be better.

For me personally having to look at it under 75c is an accomplishment.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w