HDD Showing up in BIOS but not in Windows 10 installer

Alex Biebel
Go to solution Solved by Alex Biebel,

SUMMARY FOR ANYONE READING.

I was having trouble finding a drive to install my HDD on windows installer even though it was showing up in my BIOS. The issue was located in the BIOS under Chipset. All I had to do was switch from RAID to AHCI which is extremely simple.

I have a gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard

Hi all, I'm building a new PC and was looking to install windows 10 OS onto it. Everything was going smoothly up until windows needed a drive to install the OS on. My 2TB HDD did not show up. So I restart and check BIOS. It is showing up there but not in the installer so I'm very confused and I'm not very experienced. Thanks tons

What is your motherboard, and what are settings in the BIOS? 

If set to RAID, that might be why. Windows might require a driver to be loaded before you can see the drive during install.

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

What is your motherboard, and what are settings in the BIOS? 

If set to RAID, that might be why. Windows might require a driver to be loaded before you can see the drive during install.

I have a B450M Gigiabyte mother board. I have no idea if it's set to RAID, how could I check? I've been reading around and I've seen RAID pop up every now and then

22 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Refer to page 36 of your manual. It tells you what you need to know.

Edit: Assuming you have it set to RAID. But that section also tells you how to switch between RAID and AHCI

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450m-ds3h_e_v1.pdf

okay so RAID is setup, what should I do from here?

EDIT: I'm currently on the "Where do you want to install windows" page and there is still no driver available

Do you want RAID? If not, you should disable it. Otherwise you might have to install third party driver (as noted in the manual). Setting the system to AHCI (default) should be all you need to do.

9 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Do you want RAID? If not, you should disable it. Otherwise you might have to install third part driver (as noted in the manual). Setting the system to AHCI (default) should be all you need to do.

Ay what do ya know, that was the issue. You my friend have done more for me in 3 posts than 3 phone calls and 2 hours did for me. Thank you so much!

SUMMARY FOR ANYONE READING.

I was having trouble finding a drive to install my HDD on windows installer even though it was showing up in my BIOS. The issue was located in the BIOS under Chipset. All I had to do was switch from RAID to AHCI which is extremely simple.

I have a gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard