DisplayHDR on a FreeSync PremiumPro with Nvidia Cards

killabunny

Anyone here closely familiar with the interaction between FreeSync PremiumPRO monitors and Nvidia GPUs?

Namely, I am looking to get the following monitor:

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/lg-ultragear-38gn950-b

https://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-38gn950-b

I am going to use it with a 3080 and was wondering IF and ANY features will or will not work. For instance, I am wondering if I can turn on HDR in HDR-supported games (not those mastered for RADEON CARDS but the others). I wonder if LFC will work properly, and other similar features. Google provided mw with no valuable info, thus, I turn to you all.

I cannot afford a G-Sync Ultimate monitor (2500euros and upwards), thought I'd get this one and it'll come with agreeable compromises. Please, do not share opinions that DisplayHDR600 is a wasted money. I've heard it all. I just want to know if the features will work with Nvidia or not.

EDIT: Response from an AMD employee:

"They can get FreeSync (i.e. G-Sync compatible, probably), and FIDR10. I cannot speak to the quality of either on a 3080 they will not get FreeSPC Premium Pro, but can get standard HDRIO if the monitor supports it (most do)"

8 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

From LG's site, that monitor isn't a Freesync model, it's an actual G-Sync one.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

I apologize, I had both open, I mistakenly linked the G-Sync one. I was actually looking at the FreeSync Premium Pro one instead, since it has DHDR600 instead of 400 and is cheaper by 250 euro. I updated the link.

21 minutes ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

I apologize, I had both open, I mistakenly linked the G-Sync one. I was actually looking at the FreeSync Premium Pro one instead, since it has DHDR600 instead of 400 and is cheaper by 250 euro. I updated the link.

It will work.  Source : I have a GTX 1070 and an Odyssey G7, which is also Premium Pro and G-Sync Compatible.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It will work.  Source : I have a GTX 1070 and an Odyssey G7, which is also Premium Pro and G-Sync Compatible.

Can you verify, sir, that you have indeed turned on an HDR-compatible game, such as: Odyssey, FarCry5 and ticked on HDR in the menu and it works?

6 minutes ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

Can you verify, sir, that you have indeed turned on an HDR-compatible game, such as: Odyssey, FarCry5 and ticked on HDR in the menu and it works?

I've tried it on Destiny.  D2 doesn't have an option to force on HDR, but rather switch over to HDR if the Windows setting is turned on.  The game is also very colourful by default so I didn't notice much difference in how it looks unfortunately.  Movies also play in HDR (easier to test since non HDR videos look washed out with HDR on, and HDR videos look washed out when HDR is off).

I have neither Odyssey or FC5 unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

I've tried it on Destiny.  D2 doesn't have an option to force on HDR, but rather switch over to HDR if the Windows setting is turned on.  The game is also very colourful by default so I didn't notice much difference in how it looks unfortunately.  Movies also play in HDR (easier to test since non HDR videos look washed out with HDR on, and HDR videos look washed out when HDR is off).

I have neither Odyssey or FC5 unfortunately.

It would work in films, that is true. However, in such cases, it is using a different HDR10 standard, not DisplayHDR600. DisplayHDR600 requires a specific mastering by the developer -- AMD lists dozen games mastered for FreeSync Premium Pro monitors, where I guess NVIDIA would not work. However, there are bunch other games mastered for general HDR. As the AMD employee already confirmed, HDR10 will work, but not the gaming feature of DHDR600. Wanted to confirm this before splurging the money on such a monitor.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

It would work in films, though, since it is using a different HDR10 standard in such situations, not DisplayHDR600 which requires a specific mastering by the developer. As the AMD employee already confirmed, HDR10 will work, but not the gaming feature of DHDR600.

Is there even such a thing as mastered in HDR600?  HDR600 is a certification for meeting the qualities needed to display HDR, it's not a format of media.  Also, customer service reps are really not the place to go for technical details.  Phanteks reps don't even know that their P400A had secondary mounting points for their HDD cage that would make installing a 360mm rad in the front possible.  It's even in their specs that it supports 360mm, but nobody over there knows how to do it.  I had to find out myself by fiddling with the case.

Who specifically wrote the quoted message in your original post?

EDIT : I do have BL3 which is listed in their Fresync Premium Pro games list.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Is there even such a thing as mastered in HDR600?  HDR600 is a certification for meeting the qualities needed to display HDR, it's not a format of media.  Also, customer service reps are really not the place to go for technical details.  Phanteks reps don't even know that their P400A had secondary mounting points for their HDD cage that would make installing a 360mm rad in the front possible.  It's even in their specs that it supports 360mm, but nobody over there knows how to do it.  I had to find out myself by fiddling with the case.

Who specifically wrote the quoted message in your original post?

http://www.nickschaden.com/2018/12/12/gamings-early-days-of-hdr-mastering/

Developers have to specifically setup the lightning, LUT tables, etc. for use with HDR.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

Hmm, I don't see where it mentions anything in your first post.  This blog also predates G-Sync compatible and the VESA HDR400/600/1000 spec.  I have Borderlands 3 and it's listed as a supported game on the FreeSync HDR Games page so I'll download it and give it a go tonight.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/freesync-hdr-games

Just now, Samfisher said:

Hmm, I don't see where it mentions anything in your first post.  This blog also predates G-Sync compatible and the VESA HDR400/600/1000 spec.  I have Borderlands 3 and it's listed as a supported game on the FreeSync HDR Games page so I'll download it and give it a go tonight.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/freesync-hdr-games

Please do. And take note of the changes in the visual fidelity. Share your thoughts afterwards. Much appreciated.

27 minutes ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

Please do. And take note of the changes in the visual fidelity. Share your thoughts afterwards. Much appreciated.

I found this post on reddit regarding it, but there's no source anywhere for the info he's writing about.

Do you have Odyssey so I can see if there's a specific Freesync HDR option in the game?

Also, the Epic Game Store really doesn't want to work with TeamViewer, so it might be a few days before I can get it to download and have time to test the HDR features out.  Thought I would be able to download the game while at work...

8 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

I found this post on reddit regarding it, but there's no source anywhere for the info he's writing about.

Do you have Odyssey so I can see if there's a specific Freesync HDR option in the game?

Also, the Epic Game Store really doesn't want to work with TeamViewer, so it might be a few days before I can get it to download and have time to test the HDR features out.  Thought I would be able to download the game while at work...

I do have Odyssey, and there's indeed a specific HDR toggle in game options. The thing is, these are expensive monitors, and prospective buyers should really have all the info needed before making a purchase. Google has surprisingly little to no info about the issue.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

I do have Odyssey, and there's indeed a specific HDR toggle in game options. The thing is, these are expensive monitors, and prospective buyers should really have all the info needed before making a purchase. Google has surprisingly little to no info about the issue.

I'll see if I can get Odyssey and refund it within the refund period and test it out.  But seeing as I have no experience with the game, it will take a while to notice any difference between HDR vs non HDR.  HDR on Windows automatically maxes out my monitor's brightness so that can have an effect on colour as well, so it might take a few days for me to do any tests.

Just now, JohnnyBoi11 said:

I do have Odyssey, and there's indeed a specific HDR toggle in game options.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

I'll see if I can get Odyssey and refund it within the refund period and test it out.  But seeing as I have no experience with the game, it will take a while to notice any difference between HDR vs non HDR.  HDR on Windows automatically maxes out my monitor's brightness so that can have an effect on colour as well, so it might take a few days for me to do any tests.

Should prove beneficial for you as well, no? You own a fairly high-end monitor. You should really know that you're getting what you paid for.

1 minute ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

Should prove beneficial for you as well, no? You own a fairly high-end monitor. You should really know that you're getting what you paid for.

It's so high end my 1070 doesn't fully support it lmao.  240hz/1440p/10-bit colour requires so much bandwidth that it needs DSC, and only Turing and Navi cards support DSC (and anything newer)... So I'm limited to 240hz/8-bit or 144hz/10-bit.  Also the 3080 is out of stock every damn place...

It's so high end my 1070 doesn't fully support it lmao.  240hz/1440p/10-bit colour requires so much bandwidth that it needs DSC, and only Turing and Navi cards support DSC (and anything newer)... So I'm limited to 240hz/8-bit or 144hz/10-bit.  Also the 3080 is out of stock every damn place...

Same here but by the time I get a monitor, the 3080 will be in stock, but it's a lot of money, no? Better to make sure I purchase the right one. I have no money for the GSync Ultimate ones which are upwards of 2500 euro.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

Same here but by the time I get a monitor, the 3080 will be in stock, but it's a lot of money, no? Better to make sure I purchase the right one. I have no money for the GSync Ultimate ones which are upwards of 2500 euro.

Indeed.  I'll take a look with BL3 and Odyssey.  Probably get you results before the weekend.

So I tested Borderlands 3, and in the Calibration settings there's an option to turn HDR on.  So I did.  The screen is definitely brighter, but I'm not sure how you test for specific Freesync Premium Pro features vs regular HDR in game.

I just tested it in Odyssey, (with the Discovery Tour Ancient Greece they gave a way awhile ago) and the Freesync 2 HDR button cannot be clicked.  Regular HDR turns on fine.

@JohnnyBoi11

17 hours ago, Samfisher said:

So I tested Borderlands 3, and in the Calibration settings there's an option to turn HDR on.  So I did.  The screen is definitely brighter, but I'm not sure how you test for specific Freesync Premium Pro features vs regular HDR in game.

I just tested it in Odyssey, (with the Discovery Tour Ancient Greece they gave a way awhile ago) and the Freesync 2 HDR button cannot be clicked.  Regular HDR turns on fine.

@JohnnyBoi11

Well, I suppose the added visual fidelity is mostly subjective? Unsure, since I've never had the chance to test HDR. Does B3 look "better" to you with HDR on? Better contrast, colors popping, that sort of thing.

Odyssey, on the other hand, you are telling me has 2 buttons: Freesync 2 HDR and regular HDR? Does it look better when you click only the regular HDR button? Odyssey, I believe, is a specific case since it's an exclusive Freesync 2 HDR game (as listed on AMD's website), therefore it wouldn't work with NVIDIA.

19 minutes ago, JohnnyBoi11 said:

Well, I suppose the added visual fidelity is mostly subjective? Unsure, since I've never had the chance to test HDR. Does B3 look "better" to you with HDR on? Better contrast, colors popping, that sort of thing.

Odyssey, on the other hand, you are telling me has 2 buttons: Freesync 2 HDR and regular HDR? Does it look better when you click only the regular HDR button? Odyssey, I believe, is a specific case since it's an exclusive Freesync 2 HDR game (as listed on AMD's website), therefore it wouldn't work with NVIDIA.

BL3 is also listed in the list of games in the Freesync Premium Pro page, which is why I tested it.  TBH I couldn't see the difference cos I have never played BL3 so I wouldn't know if there was a difference.  I just ran the benchmark with HDR on and my average FPS dropped by 10fps from the last time I ran it a few months ago.

Yes, Odyssey, at least the Tourist Edition has 2 separate HDR toggles.  One for HDR and 1 for Freesync 2 HDR.  The latter is grayed out for me.  It also doesn't come with a benchmark like the base game does.

31 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

BL3 is also listed in the list of games in the Freesync Premium Pro page, which is why I tested it.  TBH I couldn't see the difference cos I have never played BL3 so I wouldn't know if there was a difference.  I just ran the benchmark with HDR on and my average FPS dropped by 10fps from the last time I ran it a few months ago.

Yes, Odyssey, at least the Tourist Edition has 2 separate HDR toggles.  One for HDR and 1 for Freesync 2 HDR.  The latter is grayed out for me.  It also doesn't come with a benchmark like the base game does.

To be honest. For what it offers, such a monitor might still be a very good purchase. Not a lot of people have thousands of dollars to get a G-Sync Ultimate display. Ty for your effort and time testing all this for me.

BTW, do you happen to own any of these kinds that ARE NOT on the Freesync Premium PRO list? Just one last thing to test remains, i.e. trying GENERIC HDR toggle in games that are not on the AMD list.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_high_dynamic_range_display_(HDR)

To be honest. For what it offers, such a monitor might still be a very good purchase. Not a lot of people have thousands of dollars to get a G-Sync Ultimate display. Ty for your effort and time testing all this for me.

Np.  Let me know if I can do further tests.  Otherwise the games are going back to uninstalled :P

Np.  Let me know if I can do further tests.  Otherwise the games are going back to uninstalled :P

Well, I think we've learned all we can by testing AMD-certified games, only thing that remains is trying the HDR setting in a generic HDR game. One from the above list. Just ignore the games in that list that are also present in the AMD list.

Well, I think we've learned all we can by testing AMD-certified games, only thing that remains is trying the HDR setting in a generic HDR game. One from the above list. Just ignore the games in that list that are also present in the AMD list.

I have Modern Warfare 2019 (I mostly play Warzone, but have played a bit of the campaign where I presume would be easier to detect HDR), and when I get my 3080, Watch Dogs Legion cos it comes with it.  I've got Hitman 2...I think.  Pretty sure I do.  Got PUBG (no idea why I bought it, I never played).  Got Destiny 2, although that doesn't have a HDR toggle from what I remember, even when I was trying to test HDR on that.

Got ME Andromeda, Hellblade : Senua's Sacrifice, BF1, Hitman 1, Talos Principle.  Unsure about how well the HDR implementations are on these games but I'll try a few of them out and see if I can perceive any difference.