Question about copyright

StrawberryShortCakes
Go to solution Solved by zeusthemoose,

Very limited knowledge on this so take this with a grain of salt.

It sounds like you designed a product which you would need a patent to cover. Copyright covers artistic works such as artworks, music, and designs.
So if you wanted to cover a design you put on the wrap, you would get a copyright. If you want to cover the wrap material and production process, you get a patent.
Now I don’t know how you would cover it for a specific case. My guess is that you would get patent(s) to protect the material and process of making it and then offer different versions of it for which ever cases you choose. But patents can be very complicated and I don’t know what country you live in, so my advice is to contact a patent attorney and see what they say about the process, legality, and cost.

I'm not sure is it an copyright issue but is there a way to register a spacific type of designed wrap for a spacific model of pc case? 

I designed a spacific design type of wrap that feel like a weaved fabric. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

I really doubt you can copyright what is essentially a wallpaper for a case. And if someone decided to steal the design, make their own and sell it, not only will you need to be the copyright holder, but also need to spend thousands of dollars on lawyers considering that a skilled lawyer can cost as much as 500$ an hour, plus other additional fees.

It sounds like you designed a product which you would need a patent to cover. Copyright covers artistic works such as artworks, music, and designs.
So if you wanted to cover a design you put on the wrap, you would get a copyright. If you want to cover the wrap material and production process, you get a patent.
Now I don’t know how you would cover it for a specific case. My guess is that you would get patent(s) to protect the material and process of making it and then offer different versions of it for which ever cases you choose. But patents can be very complicated and I don’t know what country you live in, so my advice is to contact a patent attorney and see what they say about the process, legality, and cost.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

3 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Thanks will do, I'll get my mom's legal advisor to help. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

This sounds like it may fall under design patents, which are different from invention patents. To put it shortly, it is a lot of work to get done if it is possible at all, and unless you're expecting to make big money on this, it is going to end up being a money sink.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible