Asus P9X79-E WS case compatability - Corsair 750D & NZXT Phantom

Hello All

Ever since the Youtube review of the Asus P9X79-E WS I have come to the conclusion that it really is the best board for my build. The basic line is I want a Gaming computer but it has to double as a CAD and rendering workstation. The P9X79-E WS will give me that and more. Two twin Slot GPU's, a Quadro K4000, RAID card and Audio card is the rough profile. (And possibly a Tesla down the line if it will fit!) 

However, the board is of CEB form factor; derived from EEB and ATX forms, and frustratingly doesn't seem to be compatible with any of the cases I would want sitting on my desk.

The 2 cases I am looking at are the Corsair 750D and NZXT Phantom 630, both of which have the right amount of internal space but do not have the correct stand off positions.

Has anyone tried putting a CEB form factor MB inside a ATX case? Do they fit without much problem or does the case need modifying to get a secure fit?

I was rather hoping a follow up would be done since many people will be looking at the board now Linus has introduced us to it, I just don't want to buy a ugly case just to use one of the best looking MB's around.

Thanks for reading

Eventorizon

Desktop: i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, GTX 1070, 512GB M.2, 2x 3TB HDD's, Acer XR342CK
Laptop: Mac Book Pro 17" 2010, with Windows 7, & Dell U2410.
Most used Software: Solidworks 2017, Skyrim, Fallout 3 & NV, Maplestory 2, Space Engineers

you cant fit 2 GPU's, a quadro a raidcard and a soundcard in 1 PC, there arent enough Pcie slots

there are 7 pcie slots but 2 of those fall away with your GPU's, so 3 remaining, 1 falls away with your quadro, so 1 remains, but you have 2 devices left

also tesla isnt for consumers, you will never be able to leverage that power.

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

-snip-

It will fit in the 750D

[EDIT] Just to add, people have put the dual socket Asus WS board into the 750D with no issues, you shouldn't have too many issues. :)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

you cant fit 2 GPU's, a quadro a raidcard and a soundcard in 1 PC, there arent enough Pcie slots

there are 7 pcie slots but 2 of those fall away with your GPU's, so 3 remaining, 1 falls away with your quadro, so 1 remains, but you have 2 devices left

2x GPU takes up 4

Quadro K4000 takes up 1
Sound Takes up 1
Raid Takes up 1

That is 7. The P9X79 has 7 full PCIe x16 slots. The Tesla I can get through my brother and it will be for him anyway but that's another story. I would remove the Sound card to get that in.

But the set up isn't the issue its the compatibility.

It will fit in the 750D

[EDIT] Just to add, people have put the dual socket Asus WS board into the 750D with no issues, you shouldn't have too many issues. :)

Well, that's simple :-) I just hope the stand-offs don't get in the way.

Desktop: i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, GTX 1070, 512GB M.2, 2x 3TB HDD's, Acer XR342CK
Laptop: Mac Book Pro 17" 2010, with Windows 7, & Dell U2410.
Most used Software: Solidworks 2017, Skyrim, Fallout 3 & NV, Maplestory 2, Space Engineers

2x GPU takes up 4

Quadro K4000 takes up 1

Sound Takes up 1

Raid Takes up 1

That is 7. The P9X79 has 7 full PCIe x16 slots. The Tesla I can get through my brother and it will be for him anyway but that's another story. I would remove the Sound card to get that in.

But the set up isn't the issue its the compatibility.

sorry, i though you'd use a K6000 :) wich takes up 2 slots

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

SSI CEB can use the mounting holes from ATX. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 11 months later...

Actually if you use the bottom PCIe for dual slot card, it will only use up 1 slot. so it gives you 8 actuall spaces.

I know this is a bit old, but I stumbled upon it looking for info for X99-E-WS CEB fitting in the corsair 750D.

X99-E-WS, CEB, 750D, ASUS. Corsair

PC1: Intel i7-6950X | EVGA X99 FTW | EVGA RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra | SBZ | ATH-M40x | 760T | Sapphire Pro 14 | G815 | Dark Core | 
Drives: 970Evo+, 980, SN750EK | 850Pro | 6x1TB RAID0 | WD RED 4TB | WD Blk 2TB | WD Blue 4TB 
Displays: (2) ASUS VG278Q | (2) ASUS VG279Q | (1) Vizio 40" 4K HDR

Build Log: https://builds.gg/builds/raid-red-rtx-ws-14981