Will we ever see a standardised OS for wearable tech?

pythonmegapixel

There already kinda-is one - Android Wear - but manufacturers don't seem particularly interested in it.

Samsung has Tizen, Apple has WatchOS, Garmin and Fitbit have their own proprietary systems, the Chinese phone makers make a few Android watches but also some with their own proprietary system... what this adds up to is no true flagship on the platform and everyone going their separate ways. The only Android Wear watches are from lesser manufacturers.

Of course a watch, being primarily a peripheral to a phone, probably matters less, because people will use it as long as it's compatible with their phone... but still...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Eh, I wouldn't want anything to touch WatchOS. It's good how it is.

A standardized, well supported Android wearable ecosystem would be good though.

But that's the gift and curse of Android. You can do whatever you want and most manufactures do just that.

I think it will be similar to phones and pcs even, Apple is in its own little world, with Windows for PC and Android for phones also having their seperations, unless Android or Apple suddenly died, I dont think so

Each company wants its users to wear its tech and they give the best features and operations with that, even though Samsung uses Android they have their own watch os and give their best features there, Apple with Apple, there is also obviously Googles Android Wear that would work pretty okay with every phone

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

It's going to take some time. More time than it took for when the smartphone os battle happened most likely. As well simply put smartwatches aren't that big of a market and have just less products released. It will probably pick up when more focus and actual good use for the watches starts happening for everyday people. But till then enjoy the wild wild west :p.

I highly doubt it, cant have needed development with out competition.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

As soon as we see it with any other corner of tech. Like, can you point corner of tech which uses one OS or standardized OS? We just had discussion about graphical calculators few weeks ago. Those have been around longer than wearables, yet no standard OS there.

Lets be real, OS and additional companion software are the main reason why manufacturers can keep their userbase. It makes harder for cheaper knockoffs to profit by just copying tech itself when the software is selling point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well the thing is that, for example, Samsung watch had compute power, xiaomi mi band can do just a few things, you can't expect to have the same os. Also it's the same as cameras apps that all could have the gcam, instead everyone had it's own

Apple Watch is petty much superior to all wearables, but it'll only really work with iPhone. Android watches can pair with everything, but because of that, they are usually very limited in functionality. And mostly using old, outdated chipsets means they are usually slow.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Apple Watch is petty much superior to all wearables, but it'll only really work with iPhone.

It's also unfortunately quite expensive, and (subjective comment alert) doesn't look all that good. But it's functionality - and the integration with the target platform - are both fantastic, and being Apple their marketing is very good, so it sells well.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Android watches can pair with everything, but because of that, they are usually very limited in functionality. And mostly using old, outdated chipsets means they are usually slow.

That said, you don't really need amazingly fast performance in something which will only be used for smartwatch purposes. I don't think anyone is going to be gaming on a smartwatch anytime soon, and even the cheapest, nastiest phones can perform functions such as Spotify playback which these are primarily used for.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I mean, when you want to scroll a menu and you see how the thing is struggling with something as simple as that, it's not a good experience. And solving that does come at a cost of less battery life and highe price. But is totally worth it imo.

Also the looks sure are subjective, but Apple has a distinct look they are sticking with and the rest is copying them. I always took the looks as Rado-ish. Also it looks relatively cheap with the silicone strap, but I've bought some black metal bracelet for 20€ on Amazon that makes it actually look like certain rectangular Rado watch models.

Just now, RejZoR said:

I mean, when you want to scroll a menu and you see how the thing is struggling with something as simple as that, it's not a good experience.

Oh gosh, I didn't realise it was that bad...

Just now, RejZoR said:

And solving that does come at a cost of less battery life and highe price. But is totally worth it imo.

Of course, some people will disagree with that, or not have the extra money to spend. But, of course, both views are absolutely fine and that's why there are different models :)

pythonmegapixel