Connect rtx 3080 to 4+4 cpu

Zoltus

I have cs750m and can i connect rtx 3080 to it? Few 3rd party sellers said that it would support it and some say it doesnt
My power supply is semimodular so it already has buildin cpu and motherboard connectors.

Mine looks like this https://i.imgur.com/51iEoLG.png

but problem is other 8pin says 4+4 cpu, so can i use it?

Yes you can, both of those sockets on your psu are the same the only difference will be the cable you use whether it has cpu 4+4 or pci-e 6+2 on the end of it 

The connector on the power supply which says "6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU" can be used to plug in either a 6+2 PCIe cable (for graphics cards!) or a 4+4 cable for CPU power.

For plugging in to the graphics card itself it will need to be a 6+2 PCIe cable. You cannot plug a 4+4 CPU power cable in to a graphics card.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Raz Ghost said:

Yes you can, both of those sockets on your psu are the same the only difference will be the cable you use whether it has cpu 4+4 or pci-e 6+2 on the end of it 

I have 3x cables, 2x cable where it goes from 8pin to 6+2, and one where it goes from 8pin to two 6+2 pins

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

The connector on the power supply which says "6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU" can be used to plug in either a 6+2 PCIe cable (for graphics cards!) or a 4+4 cable for CPU power.

For plugging in to the graphics card itself it will need to be a 6+2 PCIe cable. You cannot plug a 4+4 CPU power cable in to a graphics card.

So you are saying i can use my 2 cables which 8pin to 6+2 with rtx 3080?, with my psu slots which say 4+4 cpu and 6+2  pcie-e

Just now, Zoltus said:

So you are saying i can use my 2 cables which 8pin to 6+2 with rtx 3080?, with my psu slots which say 4+4 cpu and 6+2  pcie-e

Yes.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Zoltus said:

Yes you can use those cables. It says "6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU" because you can use either one in both of those sockets, not because one is PCIe only and the other is CPU only. Everything incompatible in a computer is physically incompatible. Unless you go around pushing connectors into sockets as hard as you can you can't get electrical connections wrong.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

You can use either the single 8 pin to 2x PCI-e or use the two 8 pin to single pci-e cable, personally I would go for the later

3 minutes ago, Raz Ghost said:

You can use either the single 8 pin to 2x PCI-e or use the two 8 pin to single pci-e cable, personally I would go for the later

what?:D i mean i have to connect 2x 8pin to 3080

7 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Unless you go around pushing connectors into sockets as hard as you can you can't get electrical connections wrong.

i've seen people plug floppy disk power into fan header

it fits right in afaik

instant fried motherboard

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Yes you can use those cables. It says "6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU" because you can use either one in both of those sockets, not because one is PCIe only and the other is CPU only. Everything incompatible in a computer is physically incompatible. Unless you go around pushing connectors into sockets as hard as you can you can't get electrical connections wrong.

I head my friend connecting something wrong and fried 500 euros motherboard with harddrives

23 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I'm interested in this aswell: So you're basically saying 4+4 CPU and 6+2 PCIe cables are running the same specs but the connectors are different? So you can basically use adapters to make them work?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I'm interested in this aswell: So you're basically saying 4+4 CPU and 6+2 PCIe cables are completely interchangeable and the connectors share the same specs?

What do you think, can i use my 2 cables which are 8pin to 6+2 and my psu which has 6+2 pcie-e and 4+4 cpu slot?

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I'm interested in this aswell: So you're basically saying 4+4 CPU and 6+2 PCIe cables are running the same specs but the connectors are different? So you can basically use adapters to make them work?

PCie and CPU connectors both use 12V and ground. CPU is 4x 12V and PCIe is 3x 12V (the +2 on PCIe are just sense wires). You cannot plug a 4+4 CPU connector directly in to a graphics card, or a PCIe connector in to a motherboard. CPU has the 12V across the top row and PCIe is across the bottom row.

AX1200i Questions - The Corsair User Forums

Because it's just 12V and ground wires it's possible to use the same connector on the power supply for both CPU and PCIe - Though not all power supplies do this.

It's possible to use an adapter a 4+4pin CPU connector to a PCIe connector, though I normally wouldn't recommend adding additional adapters as it just adds additional failure points and increases resistance across the cable. Typically speaking power supplies will have more PCIe cables than CPU power cables anyway. Most power supplies only have a single 4+4 connector, though some higher wattage models will come with two. Typically though PSUs with 2 CPU cables will have at least 2 PCIe cables as well so unless you're powering multiple GPUs you shouldn't really have any need to adapt a CPU connector to PCIe.

With modular power supplies you could always just get another modular cable compatible with your model of power supply. The CS750M that OP has uses Corsair's Type 3 cables which are also compatible with Corsair's Type 4 PCIe and CPU power cables.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

PCie and CPU connectors both use 12V and ground. CPU is 4x 12V and PCIe is 3x 12V (the +2 on PCIe are just sense wires). You cannot plug a 4+4 CPU connector directly in to a graphics card, or a PCIe connector in to a motherboard. CPU has the 12V across the top row and PCIe is across the bottom row.

AX1200i Questions - The Corsair User Forums

Because it's just 12V and ground wires it's possible to use the same connector on the power supply for both CPU and PCIe - Though not all power supplies do this.

It's possible to use an adapter a 4+4pin CPU connector to a PCIe connector, though I normally wouldn't recommend adding additional adapters as it just adds additional failure points and increases resistance across the cable. Typically speaking power supplies will have more PCIe cables than CPU power cables anyway. Most power supplies only have a single 4+4 connector, though some higher wattage models will come with two. Typically though PSUs with 2 CPU cables will have at least 2 PCIe cables as well so unless you're powering multiple GPUs you shouldn't really have any need to adapt a CPU connector to PCIe.

With modular power supplies you could always just get another modular cable compatible with your model of power supply. The CS750M that OP has uses Corsair's Type 3 cables which are also compatible with Corsair's Type 4 PCIe and CPU power cables.

I have 2x type 4, 8 pin which split ionto 2x 6+2 pin connector, Can i use those or do i need adapter? srry im a bit confused with all this and want to confirm because putting a lot of money on this!

2 minutes ago, Zoltus said:

I have 2x type 4, 8 pin which split ionto 2x 6+2 pin connector

Yeah those are fine. If you can use both cables with one connector from each cable just to spread it over the two cables since the RTX3080 can draw up to 370W in some situations.

Type 4 and Type 3 PCIe connectors are the same. The difference between Type 3 and Type 4 was on the motherboard 24pin, but since your power supply is semi-modular that doesn't apply.

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yeah those are fine. If you can use both cables with one connector from each cable just to spread it over the two cables since the RTX3080 can draw up to 370W in some situations.

Type 4 and Type 3 PCIe connectors are the same. The difference between Type 3 and Type 4 was on the motherboard 24pin, but since your power supply is semi-modular that doesn't apply.

Ye so i will just leave 1x 6+2 pin unconnected from both cables, Sick i literally cant thank ur help enought :)

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i've seen people plug floppy disk power into fan header

it fits right in afaik

instant fried motherboard

In modern PCs then. No new PSU that isn't a $15 Shenzhen special has had a floppy connector since at least 2015. Excluding legacy replacement PSUs anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

In modern PCs then. No new PSU that isn't a $15 Shenzhen special has had a floppy connector since at least 2015. Excluding legacy replacement PSUs anyway.

Pretty sure many PSU still comes with a molex, chain with a floppy end or molex to floppy adapter

Think my seasonic I bought in 2016 had a molex chain with floppy at the end of it

My corsair rmx (2018) and cxm(2019) have molex to floppy I think

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Pretty sure many PSU still comes with a molex, chain with a floppy end or molex to floppy adapter

Think my seasonic I bought in 2016 had a molex chain with floppy at the end of it

My corsair rmx (2018) and cxm(2019) have molex to floppy I think

Really? My CX750M I bought mid-2016 had neither.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop: