Best outcome in this upgrade, perhaps skipping the 30xx?

Grihm

I will try to make this as short and precise as i can.

The 30XX series is here, and upgrading is the hot topic. However, do we have what it takes to upgrade to make use of this gen card?

The way i see it, i have three areas to consider before considering buying a new GPU.

1: My CPU.

I am now using an ASUS PRIME Z370-A and an i5 8600k not clocked. 

Please take note that i will not and am not overclocking anything due to the fact that i have zero expertise in it and i don´t want to risk it. It is my preference.

2: My Monitor.

At present day, i have an AOC 34" CU34G2X VA 21:9 Curved 144 Hz

3: My present GPU.

I have the ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC

Now, the math of this equation, and where i need your help.

QUESTION:

1: If i with my current CPU purchase the RTX 3080, will this bottleneck my rig to a degree that no benefit exist at all, or to such a small degree it´s just a waste of money?

2: Would i benefit from upgrading my CPU instead, and keep the 2070 Super, and if that´s the case, what is the most powerful option for my MB, or is that needing an upgrade as well at the same time?

3: If i stay with the 2070 S, or end up with a 3080, does the monitor i have now work enough ( will upgrade it but unsure to what...but it will not be lower specs than this one  ) or what would be the monitor to pick for the best result? IPS or VA etc? I would love to stay with Ultrawide, curved and preferably not under 32".

MY GOALS AND AREA OF USAGE:

1: I will be gaming, preferably at 1440, and i have no illusions at all that i MUST have 144 FPS + otherwise it´s like drawing with crayons on a sandpaper. I respect if you must, but i don´t. Less than 144 does not = slideshow.

2: I am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, and equal experiences. I do not play any Moba or any form of Battle Royale games what so ever. Think CP2077, Deus Ex, Witcher, Hitman, Star Citizen etc.

3: My main focus of my gaming experiences is immersion. I want to experience the game in it´s full potential based on my rig ( As in as good as i can get for my budget, not as in overpriced parts that of course will beat what i have ) 

BUDGET: 

Well, this is a bit of a wider area tbh. But in short, about up to 2500 EURO.

CONCLUSIONS:

Jayztwocents really woke me up to this and slapped me out of the " Hype " that is ongoing right now. So many people are just buying the latest without actually looking at what they have, what it can do, and last but not least..if you are even running that to it´s full potential? So, the TLDR; of this is

I have an i5 8600K not clocked, could i run a 3080 without bottlenecking it to a level of throwing my money in the drain?

7 hours ago, Grihm said:

1: If i with my current CPU purchase the RTX 3080, will this bottleneck my rig to a degree that no benefit exist at all, or to such a small degree it´s just a waste of money?

Compared to your 2070S, it's likely to double your FPS in anything that isn't already CPU bound.

7 hours ago, Grihm said:

2: Would i benefit from upgrading my CPU instead, and keep the 2070 Super, and if that´s the case, what is the most powerful option for my MB, or is that needing an upgrade as well at the same time?

You will definitely get significantly more by upgrading the GPU than you will from upgrading the CPU. An order of magnitude more.

7 hours ago, Grihm said:

3: If i stay with the 2070 S, or end up with a 3080, does the monitor i have now work enough ( will upgrade it but unsure to what...but it will not be lower specs than this one  ) or what would be the monitor to pick for the best result? IPS or VA etc? I would love to stay with Ultrawide, curved and preferably not under 32".

The 2070S is really at its limits when pushing that many pixels, and next gen games like Cyberpunk 2077 are going to need to be run at significantly lowered settings if you want to maintain a playable framerate. You definitely won't be able to run it "playable" at that resolution with raytracing on. (above 30FPS)

7 hours ago, Grihm said:

1: I will be gaming, preferably at 1440, and i have no illusions at all that i MUST have 144 FPS + otherwise it´s like drawing with crayons on a sandpaper. I respect if you must, but i don´t. Less than 144 does not = slideshow.

2: I am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, and equal experiences. I do not play any Moba or any form of Battle Royale games what so ever. Think CP2077, Deus Ex, Witcher, Hitman, Star Citizen etc.

3: My main focus of my gaming experiences is immersion. I want to experience the game in it´s full potential based on my rig ( As in as good as i can get for my budget, not as in overpriced parts that of course will beat what i have ) 

Sounds like the 3080 is ideal for your uses.

7 hours ago, Grihm said:

I have an i5 8600K not clocked, could i run a 3080 without bottlenecking it to a level of throwing my money in the drain?

Yes, quite easily.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

17 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Compared to your 2070S, it's likely to double your FPS in anything that isn't already CPU bound.

You will definitely get significantly more by upgrading the GPU than you will from upgrading the CPU. An order of magnitude more.

The 2070S is really at its limits when pushing that many pixels, and next gen games like Cyberpunk 2077 are going to need to be run at significantly lowered settings if you want to maintain a playable framerate. You definitely won't be able to run it "playable" at that resolution with raytracing on. (above 30FPS)

Sounds like the 3080 is ideal for your uses.

Yes, quite easily.

Wow..really?

These are wonderful news if that´s the case.

One thing i actually did not think of until you wrote it, was that this monitor now is a 3440 X 1440 one, and i was a bit hmm on the fact that the gpu had to work that hard to keep up. I actually did not consider the extra amount of Pixels at work 🤪

So if this is the case, i can get an RTX 3080 and my monitor will stay at 1440, but i will switch it due to pixel fatality.

Man this is fantastic... Thank you. I have been searching all over for days for information ❤️

7 hours ago, Grihm said:

I have the ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC

It would be a rather large upgrade for you in performance so yes it would be worth it....

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Just now, Ankerson said:

It would be a rather large upgrade for you in performance so yes it would be worth it....

The amount of days i have looked for info... oh the joy of knowledgeable people ❤️
All you see is basically " Oh my old I9 9999999999999 at 5.5 Gigaflurps " is so old.. i bought it last week O_o

This bodes well 😃

Just now, Grihm said:

The amount of days i have looked for info... oh the joy of knowledgeable people ❤️
All you see is basically " Oh my old I9 9999999999999 at 5.5 Gigaflurps " is so old.. i bought it last week O_o

This bodes well 😃

Most of us have midgrade systems, and some are running stuff MUCH older than you. We collectively know our stuff here, and usually aren't elitist. (except in the PCMR way)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 minute ago, BTGbullseye said:

Most of us have midgrade systems, and some are running stuff MUCH older than you. We collectively know our stuff here, and usually aren't elitist. (except in the PCMR way)

It´s quite relaxing to know and to have a place to get help. 

My purchase will have zero bragging rights or just for show. Cash is premium as it is, so i wanna get the absolute most bang for my buck. 

Just now, Grihm said:

It´s quite relaxing to know and to have a place to get help. 

My purchase will have zero bragging rights or just for show. Cash is premium as it is, so i wanna get the absolute most bang for my buck. 

The 3080 is literally the best bang for your buck above 1080p resolution, and comes in just behind the 5700 and 5700XT for 1080p value as well. It is an excellent value choice.

Just now, BTGbullseye said:

The 3080 is literally the best bang for your buck above 1080p resolution, and comes in just behind the 5700 and 5700XT for 1080p value as well. It is an excellent value choice.

I can´t believe i actually did not take into consideration my 1440 monitor upgrade form my 7 year old 1080 panel. That´s like forgetting to plug the power cord! 

Time to start looking at what the different brands will release in terms of looks and performance. I really like the FE tho. That´s a great looking card, part from that connector that is ;) 

7 hours ago, Grihm said:

I

2: My Monitor.

At present day, i have an AOC 34" CU34G2X VA 21:9 Curved 144 Hz

How well the 2070 S handles this monitor? Do you get good FPS with the games you play? Because I'm considering getting this monitor soon.

Just now, Deli said:

How well the 2070 S handles this monitor? Do you get good FPS with the games you play? Because I'm considering getting this monitor soon.

It´s quite well, it handles G-sync with no problems, and that was a main concern for me when buying it. I have recently only tested different settings in ultra and 1440 resolution, but it´s above 60 up to past 100 as well. Considering the amount of pixels ( i had forgotten i was pushing on the card ) the card manages well, but it is on those settings and resolution at 99% as mentioned. 

I will return mine tho due to 2 pixels died within the first week, but that´s just bad luck and not a general AOC issue.

8 minutes ago, Grihm said:

It´s quite well, it handles G-sync with no problems, and that was a main concern for me when buying it. I have recently only tested different settings in ultra and 1440 resolution, but it´s above 60 up to past 100 as well. Considering the amount of pixels ( i had forgotten i was pushing on the card ) the card manages well, but it is on those settings and resolution at 99% as mentioned. 

I will return mine tho due to 2 pixels died within the first week, but that´s just bad luck and not a general AOC issue.

I have a 5700XT, which is a bit slower than your 2070S. If I get about 90 - 100 FPS with this monitor, that's good enough. Even if I have to turn down the settings a bit.

Just now, Deli said:

I have a 5700XT, which is a bit slower than your 2070S. If I get about 100 FPS with this monitor, that's good enough. Even if I have to turn down the settings a bit.

If you don´t need to go for 1440, i suspect you would enjoy the screen very much. It´s among the best value for what one get´s in this range i feel.

144 Hz, 34", Curved, HDR and a very appealing bezel. Nothing clumpy or overkill flashy with dragonstickers or other crap. Sleek and nice 😃

1 minute ago, Grihm said:

If you don´t need to go for 1440, i suspect you would enjoy the screen very much. It´s among the best value for what one get´s in this range i feel.

144 Hz, 34", Curved, HDR and a very appealing bezel. Nothing clumpy or overkill flashy with dragonstickers or other crap. Sleek and nice 😃

I really want an 34" ultrawide for gaming. I read many reviews. This monitor ticks many boxes. I know the LG 34GN850 is better, but it also costs twice as much.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

I really want an 34" ultrawide for gaming. I read many reviews. This monitor ticks many boxes. I know the LG 34GN850 is better, but it also costs twice as much.

That´s the one i am looking at getting...but yeah.. it´s a pretty penny. A tip would be to hold out about 70 days more before you get the screen. Black Friday will surely have a great deal on it.

Just now, Grihm said:

That´s the one i am looking at getting...but yeah.. it´s a pretty penny. A tip would be to hold out about 70 days more before you get the screen. Black Friday will surely have a great deal on it.

Thanks for the tips.

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

Thanks for the tips.

Anytime bud. Let us know how you like the screen later 😃

1 minute ago, Grihm said:

Anytime bud. Let us know how you like the screen later 😃

Sure. :)