HELP! Delay after pressing the power button and the computer actually powering on

I upgraded the processor and motherboard on my desktop PC last weekend by switching to a Ryzen 7 3700X and an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E motherboard with 2x16 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 MHz CL16 RAM. After the upgrade, I have been running into an issue with the powering up of the computer.

When the computer is powered off and I press the power button in the case front panel, nothing powers on and nothing happens for 5-10 seconds and then everything powers on and works perfectly fine. Is this something indicating some hardware issue/incompatibility? I have checked all the connections and they are properly seated. The delay appears to be somewhat similar every time but I haven't tried to accurately measure it. Below are the things that I am suspecting

* I enabled DOCP to overclock the RAM to its factory-rated 3200 MHz to match the Infinity Fabric clock speed.

* My nearly 5 years old PSU is having issues. But it worked perfectly fine with the previous i5 6600 K processor on an ASUS Z170-K motherboard with 48 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM.

* There are 2 EATX 12V ports on the new motherboard - 1 with 8 pins and another with 4 pins. My previous motherboard only had one of those with 8 pins and my PSU also only has a 8-pin connector. So I went ahead and connected only the 8 pin connector on the new motherboard as well. Could this be causing issues? The overall wattage for my build is around 380 W to 400 W as per the various online wattage calculators. So there is enough room with the 620 W PSU even if it has started degrading in performance.

Since my computer is working perfectly fine after the delayed powering on, should I stop worrying about this? I am anyways planning to upgrade to a modular PSU with a higher wattage to be able to upgrade to an Ampere GPU. So can I wait till then to diagnose this further if there are no issues? Could this issue be because the computer requires a larger amount of power than the PSU can supply right away at powering on time and then it lowers after that?

I have ordered a PSU tester to check the PSU but I am not sure if that will help in isolating and identifying the issue.

Any comments/suggestions/ideas/recommendations?

11 minutes ago, Artful Sodger said:

Since my computer is working perfectly fine after the delayed powering on, should I stop worrying about this?

Yes, you should stop worrying about it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

41 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes, you should stop worrying about it.

36 minutes ago, Dujith said:

For a cold boot this is normal yes. At least on the x570 boards i have seen multiple ppl asking about this. Myself included.

If both of you are referring to the scenario where the computer appears to be dead for a few seconds and not respond/power up at all and then starts, that's a huge relief and makes me very happy! ❤️

If not, can you provide more references/details/pointers @NumLock21, @Dujith?

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever find out what was causing this?

I have an ASUS B550 exhibiting the same problem. I don’t think it is normal behaviour because it sometime starts up normally - power light and fans come on as soon as button is pressed. Most of the time, though, it is completely dead for 5 or so seconds before springing to life.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 4:08 PM, Neil123123 said:

Did you ever find out what was causing this?

I have an ASUS B550 exhibiting the same problem. I don’t think it is normal behaviour because it sometime starts up normally - power light and fans come on as soon as button is pressed. Most of the time, though, it is completely dead for 5 or so seconds before springing to life.

Unfortunately, no. Have learnt to live with it 🤷‍♂️

On 11/3/2020 at 10:24 AM, Artful Sodger said:

Unfortunately, no. Have learnt to live with it 🤷‍♂️

So a number of people have suggested to me that it is an issue with one of the capacitors on the motherboard struggling to discharge normally. The 5-10 second delay is thus the time for the capacitor to discharge itself. When powering on the computer after it has been unplugged for more than a day, it starts up normally the first time, which would tend to support this view.