Separate ssd setup os+games

JohnStory1

Hi,

I have an older ssd  (500mb/s) type for my OS

And I bought a nvme m2 ssd (gen3) of around 2000/3500 MB/s  for my games for now, since it's probably a year to soon to upgrade to gen 4, awaiting windows directstorage. The reason for upgrading , to get textures in game loaded quicker.

QUESTION:

Will my older ssd (500mb/s) on which my windows OS is installed, limit the performance of my other newer M2 SSD (2000-3500mb/s) that has the game and launcher installed?

In other words. Do I have to also upgrade the system ssd?

No.

Even going NVMe for games was unnecessary. 

In blind tests people have found SATA drives to sometimes even feel faster than PCIe4 for game loading... if there's a benefit it's completely unnoticeable.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, JohnStory1 said:

upgrade the system ssd?

I do the same.

I have a 128GB SSD for OS and all games on 1TB SSDs.

The system SSD should not adversely effect your loading times off the m.2.

Actually that's my setup...sata ssd for OS...NVMe for games...it does help in some games.  The fact you have two drives means the bandwidth is greater.  Meaning when your OS is making calls/updates to your sata ssd...it's not competing with calls/reads/writes to the gaming NVMe.  As for gaming performance...i know it's a tad faster with NVMe, but not mind blowing...only in certain scenarios can you see/feel the delta.  That said why not give your rig every leg up. 

Just for giggles try installing Win10 on your NVMe too...dual boot if you will.  Then boot up on your old sata ssd...run crystal disk mark on both drives.  Then boot up your Win10 on the NVMe...run crystal disk mark on both drives.  What do you get ?  You likely will find that the OS drive always performs a tad less when compared to the non-OS physical drive...cause the OS drive always has OS reads/writes being performed in addition to any application/games being run.  Not sure if I've had enough coffee to type this coherently.