I need suggestion for upgrading RAM

Go to solution Solved by AndrewZScorpion,

I would just put an additional 4gb stick in the third slot. Just buy the cheapest DDR3 you can find.

Hey Guys!

I own a low-end PC running Windows 10 (64 bit) that I mostly use for work (browsing up to 15 tabs at once and using Microsoft Office) and occasionally for Photoshop/other resource heavy applications. I currently have 4GB RAM which is pretty slow and inadequate; I started feeling lag as my workload increased (I also used the Performance Monitor to check how much virtual memory my system used and it would start paging as soon as I open anything other than the browser and Microsoft Office). Therefore, I would like to increase it up to about 8GB and that should be enough for now. I just need a cost-effective advice as to what RAM I should choose and what I should do with the RAM that I currently have. I have attached the CPU-Z screenshots of the specs and am willing to provide you with any other hardware info required to make your decision :)

And BTW I am NOT looking forward to buying a new PC with a better CPU and motherboard. Instead, I just want to upgrade the RAM a bit and build a PC later on when I can afford it...

Regards,

Basil

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

9.PNG

If you have $100 bucks to spare I recommenced buying a cheap 250gig ssd and move your os and browser to it and upgrading your cpu. An ssd will run you around 30-40 usd an extra stick of 4gb ddr3 ram should be about 20 usd and I found a cpu that fits your mobo on ebay for 50 usd all this would be a pretty noticeable difference in preformence for around $100

Ebay CPU: https://www.ebay.com/itm/141859613895 

If you do upgrade your cpu and you don't choose to buy the one I listed make sure you get one that fits a lga 775 socket. CPU's that fit this socket are Pentuim D chips and core 2 chips

Edited by kucharczykt

9 hours ago, kucharczykt said:

how many ram slots do you have?

4 slots - 1 free

9 hours ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

I would just put an additional 4gb stick in the third slot. Just buy the cheapest DDR3 you can find.

Was thinking the same - will probably go for it - thanks

8 hours ago, kucharczykt said:

If you have $100 bucks to spare I recommenced buying a cheap 250gig ssd and move your os and browser to it and upgrading your cpu. An ssd will run you around 30-40 usd an extra stick of 4gb ddr3 ram should be about 20 usd and I found a cpu that fits your mobo on ebay for 50 usd all this would be a pretty noticeable difference in preformence for around $100

Ebay CPU: https://www.ebay.com/itm/141859613895 

If you do upgrade your cpu and you don't choose to buy the one I listed make sure you get one that fits a lga 775 socket. CPU's that fit this socket are Pentuim D chips and core 2 chips

I think I'll go for a 4GB stick for now cz I'm not in US and $100 is not a small amount here in Pakistan :P (it's around 16k - for reference, 1k can buy you the biggest cereal box of koko krunch and 1ltr milk/5k is the amount an average person would spend on food in a month) But I will consider this option when I intend to upgrade this PC :)

On 9/14/2020 at 4:20 AM, printf_cyber said:

4 slots - 1 free

Was thinking the same - will probably go for it - thanks

I think I'll go for a 4GB stick for now cz I'm not in US and $100 is not a small amount here in Pakistan :P (it's around 16k - for reference, 1k can buy you the biggest cereal box of koko krunch and 1ltr milk/5k is the amount an average person would spend on food in a month) But I will consider this option when I intend to upgrade this PC :)

oh wow i didnt relize that 100 dollars in the us was so much in Pakistan. in that case def get the cheapest ddr3 ram you can find