I've been out of the loop for a while

cfrozer

Hello! It's been a minute since I've kept up with all the new fancy components. Last time I really kept up was back when Zen(1) was being released, has AMD refined their process to overpower intel or does Intel still reign king? I've heard things that Intel no longer holds the crown for gaming when it comes to raw performance. 
Does nVidia still hold the crown?
Is Intel optane still around? 
Update me!  

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

1 minute ago, Not Wills said:

Amd is now the multi core king and the budget king as well but intel is still best for gaming and single core performance, Nvidia is still top though we havent seen amds new card but the 3070 is 2080ti performance but for half the price, and the 3090 with destroy any card, o and amd released a bike.

A bike? lol
so it looks like AMD is giving intel a run for their money 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

Recent AMD processors have been amazing. They usually do better than intel in price to performance and performs better in many tasks that benefit from more cores (like editing and rendering). Intel still reigns supreme on the majority of games though and has better single core performance.

AMD also did pretty well with GPUs. The 5700xt is basically the price of the 2060super and when on the most up to date drivers, can outperform the 2070super in some cases. But nvidia is still the performance king. Nvidia recently announced the 3070, 3080, and 3090 which are coming out shortly and are all expected to outperform the current king (2080 ti) at much lower prices (except the 3090). The 3070 is $500, 3080 is $700, and 3090 is $1500. 

AMD is announcing Ryzen 4000 on October 8th and the next generation GPUs on October 18th or 28th, I can’t remember which.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

8 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Recent AMD processors have been amazing. They usually do better than intel in price to performance and performs better in many tasks that benefit from more cores (like editing and rendering). Intel still reigns supreme on the majority of games though and has better single core performance.

AMD also did pretty well with GPUs. The 5700xt is basically the price of the 2060super and when on the most up to date drivers, can outperform the 2070super in some cases. But nvidia is still the performance king. Nvidia recently announced the 3070, 3080, and 3090 which are coming out shortly and are all expected to outperform the current king (2080 ti) at much lower prices (except the 3090). The 3070 is $500, 3080 is $700, and 3090 is $1500. 

AMD is announcing Ryzen 4000 on October 8th and the next generation GPUs on October 18th or 28th, I can’t remember which.

That's good to hear!
Sounds like there's both options to go for, depending on your use case. Definitely better than intel essentially having a monopoly when it came to CPU's.
It also does sound like Nvidia does have some competition.
Do you think the price of the 5700xt caused Nvidia to lower the price of the flagships? 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32 minutes ago, That_Something_ said:

bike for their money.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, That_Something_ said:

Do you think the price of the 5700xt caused Nvidia to lower the price of the flagships? 

It did more than that. They first launched the regular 2000 series cards and 2000 ti series cards but a few months after that, amd released their cards. Those (5600, 5600xt, 5700, 5700xt, etc.) had much better performance than the existing cards so nvidia replaces them with the 2000 super series. That is why the 5700xt was slightly outperformed by a 2070 super for a while. 
The 3000 series is so great because the $500 3070 has the performance of the 2080ti which was $1200 and the others are more powerful for a more reasonable price increase. The main reason it is such a great deal is because 2000 was so overpriced.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

2 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

After the release of Intel's 10th gen, we basically went straight back to the middle of 2018.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

10 hours ago, That_Something_ said:

A bike? lol

Intel has probablems in the manufacturing of new cpus 

And they are way behind their own roadmap 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler