Pihole on Docker/WSL - DNS works, DHCP doesn't

JP!
On 8/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, JP! said:

I have Pihole on Docker on windows using WSL2.

When i try to disable the DHCP on my router to use Pihole as a DHCP, clients get no IP addresses.

Docker recomends using host mode for DHCP --network host, but it is not supported in Windows: https://docs.docker.com/network/host/

I have zero knowledge of containers / linux. Any thoughts?

JP

On 8/30/2020 at 3:17 PM, JP! said:

I have changed my docker script to include ports for DHCP: -p 67:67/tcp -p 67:67/udp -p 68:68/tcp -p 68:68/udp

I have also enabled port forwarding on WSL using this command line: netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listenport=67,68 listenaddress=192.168.1.1 connectport=67,68 connectaddress=172.23.249.164

Still, clients get no IP when DHCP is disabled on router and enabled on pihole.

What else could i try?

JP

How could i diagnose why devices get no IP in my network? Does my router need DHCP relay?

JP

15 minutes ago, JP! said:

I have also enabled port forwarding on WSL using this command line: netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listenport=67,68 listenaddress=192.168.1.1 connectport=67,68 connectaddress=172.23.249.164

Still, clients get no IP when DHCP is disabled on router and enabled on pihole.

For the DHCP-server to work, it needs to be able to see broadcast-messages, so it needs low-level access to the network. Port-forwarding isn't enough.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

For the DHCP-server to work, it needs to be able to see broadcast-messages, so it needs low-level access to the network. Port-forwarding isn't enough.

That or DHCP relay would work as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Thank you for the reply.

DNS doesn't need it them?

Is there a way to give it acess on my environment? Docker / WSL?

JP

Just now, JP! said:

DNS doesn't need it them?

For DHCP to work, the machines send a request to the network to find a DHCP-server. For DNS, you've already given them the IP-address, so there is no need for them to find it in the first place!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

That or DHCP relay would work as well.

Thanks.

I have not found any setting or documentation that my router supports DHCP relay (Asus).

I have two Asus one as a router (AC-1200HP) and another as a AP (AC-52U). Anyway to activate DHCP relay on either one?

JP