PC doesn't POST

Ansh Jaiswal

As the title says, my PC isn't POSTing

Previously I thought it was the Motherboard and PSU so got them replaced...got the mobo replaced twice actually..order of replacement:mobo then PSU then mobo again.

So I tried turning it on outside the case with bare minimum parts..

Tried turning it on with just CPU, then CPU and RAM then CPU,RAM and GPU.....here are the videos for those tries:

[MEDIA=imgur]a/qnDURzs[/MEDIA]

View: https://imgur.com/a/qnDURzs

Still doesnt POST.

The PSU fans don't even spin when I turn it on

Could it be the CPU?

SPECS:

asus Prime a320m-k

Corsair 8 gb 3000Mhz

Zotac 1060 3gb

Ryzen 3 1st gen

PC used to work before....it just didn't POST one morning all of a sudden 5 months ago

If the PSu fans are not spinning that means that the PSU fans are only spinning up when there's lots of load or the psu has a problem, not the cpu has a problem

Since you've pretty much done everything you possibly could and in the correct order I'm going to suggest that you must be doing something wrong in the building process. Given your method of bug hunting I'm also going to assume that you know what you're doing and therefore it must be something either you missed or made a silly mistake on.

To answer your question, its very likely not to be the CPU at fault since the system seems to not be getting any power at all. Even with a dead CPU you would expect to see some fans spinning and lights on the board.

First of all check that the PSU cable (the one from the wall to the PSU) actually works. This is something I have missed myself and spent hours pulling my PC apart for no reason. To test this try the paperclip test on the PSU, if you get nothing then its either a bad wall cable or bad PSU.

Another easy mistake to make is plugging the Power Button onto the wrong header on the board. Try getting a flat head screwdriver and shorting out the 2 pins that the button connects to. If that doesn't work try shorting out all the pins 2 at a time.

If both of these options fail then see if you can get the CPU tested in another system, as I said, its very unlikely to be the CPU but not impossible.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Since you've pretty much done everything you possibly could and in the correct order I'm going to suggest that you must be doing something wrong in the building process. Given your method of bug hunting I'm also going to assume that you know what you're doing and therefore it must be something either you missed or made a silly mistake on.

To answer your question, its very likely not to be the CPU at fault since the system seems to not be getting any power at all. Even with a dead CPU you would expect to see some fans spinning and lights on the board.

First of all check that the PSU cable (the one from the wall to the PSU) actually works. This is something I have missed myself and spent hours pulling my PC apart for no reason. To test this try the paperclip test on the PSU, if you get nothing then its either a bad wall cable or bad PSU.

Another easy mistake to make is plugging the Power Button onto the wrong header on the board. Try getting a flat head screwdriver and shorting out the 2 pins that the button connects to. If that doesn't work try shorting out all the pins 2 at a time.

If both of these options fail then see if you can get the CPU tested in another system, as I said, its very unlikely to be the CPU but not impossible.

I'll reply to you when I get my new PSU paper clip tested....

But before getting the PSU replaced, I performed the paper clip test on the older one and the fans spin when I short the connector thru paper clip but the fans don't spin when I connect it to the motherboard...

I'll do the paper clip test on the new PSU and reply to you shortly...I am actually afraid of doing paper clip test on the new PSU, is it harmful?

24 minutes ago, Ansh Jaiswal said:

I'll reply to you when I get my new PSU paper clip tested....

But before getting the PSU replaced, I performed the paper clip test on the older one and the fans spin when I short the connector thru paper clip but the fans don't spin when I connect it to the motherboard...

I'll do the paper clip test on the new PSU and reply to you shortly...I am actually afraid of doing paper clip test on the new PSU, is it harmful?

No, all your doing is pulling the activate signal to ground, even if you get it wrong it won't hurt anything.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)