flight sim 2020 stuttery mess

BardiaMGTGC

i got flight sim 2020 today and when i started the guide game was so stuttery 

fps drops down to 1 and gpu utilization drops down to 0 its completely unplayable until i go to the menu wait for a few seconds and close the menu then after a minute or two stutters start again

its running on a i5 7400 and gtx 980 16gb of ram

34 minutes ago, BardiaMGTGC said:

i got flight sim 2020 today and when i started the guide game was so stuttery 

fps drops down to 1 and gpu utilization drops down to 0 its completely unplayable until i go to the menu wait for a few seconds and close the menu then after a minute or two stutters start again

its running on a i5 7400 and gtx 980 16gb of ram

MS fltSim2020 is famously weird.  Apparently making it work at all requires massive hardware which has little to do with the actual needs of the game.  It’s built very oddly apparently.  As the “first” game theoretically designed for consoles it’s getting a lot of study.  I understand it’s very weirdly threaded and eats massive amounts of memory

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

MS fltSim2020 is famously weird.  Apparently making it work at all requires massive hardware which has little to do with the actual needs of the game.  It’s built very oddly apparently.  As the “first” game theoretically designed for consoles it’s getting a lot of study.  I understand it’s very weirdly threaded and eats massive amounts of memory

ive seen some guy running a rtx 2060 with medium settings cuz he said thats the most stable setting but im running it on lowest

3 minutes ago, BardiaMGTGC said:

ive seen some guy running a rtx 2060 with medium settings cuz he said thats the most stable setting but im running it on lowest

It seems pretty random.  I heard someone mention that it’s barely multithreaded at all for one thing but it creates and uses swap on almost any system it’s out on.  It seems to me like It’s like it’s a red herring or a monkeys puzzle.  It doesn’t need to hit the hardware as hard as it does, and if you throw enough general oomph at it you can make it go.  It’s like it’s deliberately crippled. Designed to not work well on desktops even though it could.  I suspect it will run beautifully on an Xbox and the code won’t be even remotely the same.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:00 PM, BardiaMGTGC said:

i5 7400

There’s a bug right now with 4-core CPUs. A lot of quad core users have been having issues lately. 

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:55 PM, Bombastinator said:

It doesn’t need to hit the hardware as hard as it does, and if you throw enough general oomph at it you can make it go.  It’s like it’s deliberately crippled. Designed to not work well on desktops even though it could.  I suspect it will run beautifully on an Xbox and the code won’t be even remotely the same.

Yeah no that’s not true. It’s not deliberately crippled at all. My 3700X + RX580 handles a mix of high and ultra at 22-30fps. Granted that isn’t great, but for an RX 580 it’s quite good.

the Xbox version obviously will have code changes but the core engine has to be the same for official addons through the marketplace to work.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

1 hour ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Yeah no that’s not true. It’s not deliberately crippled at all. My 3700X + RX580 handles a mix of high and ultra at 22-30fps. Granted that isn’t great, but for an RX 580 it’s quite good.

the Xbox version obviously will have code changes but the core engine has to be the same for official addons through the marketplace to work.

How does your statement disagree with mine? The statement “it’s like it’s deliberately crippled” perhaps.  I remember reading that the cpu end was lightly threaded. Mainly two thread with some additional other things.  A very inefficient use of 8/16. 580 is a not a modern card.  It’s sort of an oddball.  It’s a no longer very fast card with a lot of video memory it normally can’t really use. and based on the 480 which is really old. That it can do almost as well on a 580 as in a card retailing for 5 times as much says something is up.

Edited by Bombastinator

On 9/10/2020 at 1:55 AM, Bombastinator said:

It seems pretty random.  I heard someone mention that it’s barely multithreaded at all for one thing but it creates and uses swap on almost any system it’s out on.  It seems to me like It’s like it’s a red herring or a monkeys puzzle.  It doesn’t need to hit the hardware as hard as it does, and if you throw enough general oomph at it you can make it go.  It’s like it’s deliberately crippled. Designed to not work well on desktops even though it could.  I suspect it will run beautifully on an Xbox and the code won’t be even remotely the same.

Isn’t it still technically in beta? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

“it’s like it’s deliberately crippled” perhaps.  I remember reading that the cpu end was lightly threaded. Mainly two thread with some additional other things.  A very inefficient use of 8/16

Yes, you are right that it only uses 4 of my cores most of the time. And yes, it is weird that an old RX 580 which is definitely not fast beats a 980. 

As I said though, there is a bug affecting 4-core CPUs so that is likely the issue

On 9/9/2020 at 8:55 PM, Bombastinator said:

Designed to not work well on desktops even though it could.

This I very much disagree with. I doubt you've ever played flight sim, cuz the venerable FSX was the same. It barely ran on any hardware available. X-Plane 11 also doesn't run particularly well on any of the hardware I've ever used it on.

23 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Isn’t it still technically in beta? 

Dunno.  Maybe.

16 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Yes, you are right that it only uses 4 of my cores most of the time. And yes, it is weird that an old RX 580 which is definitely not fast beats a 980. 

As I said though, there is a bug affecting 4-core CPUs so that is likely the issue

This I very much disagree with. I doubt you've ever played flight sim, cuz the venerable FSX was the same. It barely ran on any hardware available. X-Plane 11 also doesn't run particularly well on any of the hardware I've ever used it on.

Goes to definition of “ well”. I did have a copy of xplane long ago that ran well enough for me. That might not be well enough for you though. 

There are weird perplexing issues. That those issues were pure coincidence is not impossible.  It’s very old software that was redone though. One would think any outstanding issues would be known. 

41 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Goes to definition of “ well”. I did have a copy of xplane long ago that ran well enough for me. That might not be well enough for you though. 

There are weird perplexing issues. That those issues were pure coincidence is not impossible.  It’s very old software that was redone though. One would think any outstanding issues would be known. 

MSFS is completely new code for the most part. X-Plane at 1080p@medium settings ran at 18-24fps while MSFS at 1440p@high settings is 24-30fps. All in GA aircraft btw

3 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

MSFS is completely new code for the most part. X-Plane at 1080p@medium settings ran at 18-24fps while MSFS at 1440p@high settings is 24-30fps. All in GA aircraft btw

If it’s new code why is it dual thread with a few outlying threads?  That seems like 2003 style programming to me.  

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If it’s new code why is it dual thread with a few outlying threads?

Have you actually tried it? In my experience it uses 4c/8t pretty consistently. It's a DX11 sim

also while i was playing i realized that gpu doesnt hit anything higher than 60% but cpu is usually at 90-100%

other than minecraft which is a cpu intensive game this never happened to me before

6 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Have you actually tried it? In my experience it uses 4c/8t pretty consistently. It's a DX11 sim

No.  I’ve been reading descriptions of it.  What I read said it would max 2 cores, have a few low level anticilliary threads outside those two main threads that did near nothing cpu percentage of use wise, but did almost nothing besides that.   4/8 is not new.  It’s old.  You appear to be either claiming something different than that, or are claiming only that, but are phrasing it as if you are not. It isn’t super clear. Dx11 might have something to do with that.  I don’t know.  If it does it means dx11 more or less requires single thread programming, so all stuff incorporating dx11 would have this too by default. The use of dx11 is also strange.  Dx11 is a vista era technology. Near 10 years old.    Dx12 is 2015.  Why would newly coded stuff use a system leftover from before even windows seven?  Something doesn’t mesh.