Lenovo care repair gone horribly wrong[LEGION Y520]

Greetings!\

A week ago, i faced an issue with my lenovo legion y520( i5 7300hq, GTX 1060 max-q), the hard drive just failed one day, bam, gone, upon using the novo button (special button to access BIOS and other diagnostic settings)  and entering into the bios, the system wasn't able to detect my 1TB HDD, hence prompting me each time that there is no boot drive whenever I turn my laptop on
I had a spare 1TB SSD which was suppose to be the drive for a pc which I decided to make but didn't and though if the hard drive have failed, I would have swapped it, easy as that, and went to lenovo center nearest to my place, my laptop was out of warranty so I was paying for the swap

Now to keep it short, he said the particular area on my motherboard where the SATA hard drive connects wasn't working and told me to use the m.2 drive for any drive, I out of desperation bought an m.2 1TB ssd from him for 500aed (136$) and told me the job would be done in 1 day, this was yesterday
Today I wanted to ask him the time for collection, and he told me that the FANS AND SPEAKERS ARE NOT WORKING, I was confused but he told me to give him some time he might figure something out, I called him again 2 hours later and he told me the fans and the speakers have failed and replacement of components was the only option......

My total cost rundown currently is
100aed initial fee
50 aed diagnosis
500aed ssd
And possibly 300-500aed fan and speaker cost

This makes the bill about 300$

Im so confused , angry and sad, he keeps extending the bill and this guy is suppose to be an expert, Im 200% sure the fan and the speaker were working perfectly before I gave him the laptop, during the demonstration of the problem I clearly heard the fans and the speaker worked the night before.....
What should I do?
Why should I pay for the things that were initially ok and broken only during the repair?

Help me out with this please

isn't there any policy of the technicians being responsible for the things caused due to his actions?

he even accepts the fact that these components worked before he started working on my laptop

the laptop has been with him since day 1 of this drama

Take it back as is, if he did break those during the repair, I would look elsewhere. He's probably just trying to get extra money out of you without doing any work.

Just now, AndrewZScorpion said:

Take it back as is, if he did break those during the repair, I would look elsewhere. He's probably just trying to get extra money out of you without doing any work.

I was thinking of doing that initially , however Lenovo team is the only establishment I can think of having somewhat "certified" technicians and parts , either way I would have to get these new problems solved somewhere , its not like every repair guy has such parts lying around

1 minute ago, ali99__ said:

I was thinking of doing that initially , however Lenovo team is the only establishment I can think of having somewhat "certified" technicians and parts , either way I would have to get these new problems solved somewhere , its not like every repair guy has such parts lying around

I would guess most repair guys would ship something in if they don't have it. If there's someone you've gone to before, try them.

5 minutes ago, ali99__ said:

What kind of testing did you do before taking it in?

Did you, for example, remove the HDD and test it in another computer?

Are you experienced in doing any computer upgrades or repairs? I looked up the Y520 on iFixit, and a HDD swap is like a 15-30 minute job tops. An SSD swap apparently can take up to 2 hours (likely due to the position of the M.2 slot) though so that's more advanced.

You have a couple of options - if he says in writing that the speakers and fan were working before he started, then they should be liable to fix the parts they broke. Your best bet would be to speak to the persons manager and discuss what they are willing to do.

Alternatives include finding a "trusted" independent repair shop. No, the people working there probably won't be "certified" by Lenovo, but if they're skilled it won't matter. You can probably order individual parts from Lenovo as needed, so an independent shop can tell you what ones to order and then can do the installs for you.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What kind of testing did you do before taking it in?

Did you, for example, remove the HDD and test it in another computer?

Are you experienced in doing any computer upgrades or repairs? I looked up the Y520 on iFixit, and a HDD swap is like a 15-30 minute job tops. An SSD swap apparently can take up to 2 hours (likely due to the position of the M.2 slot) though so that's more advanced.

You have a couple of options - if he says in writing that the speakers and fan were working before he started, then they should be liable to fix the parts they broke. Your best bet would be to speak to the persons manager and discuss what they are willing to do.

Alternatives include finding a "trusted" independent repair shop. No, the people working there probably won't be "certified" by Lenovo, but if they're skilled it won't matter. You can probably order individual parts from Lenovo as needed, so an independent shop can tell you what ones to order and then can do the installs for you.

Thank you for replying

No , I did not swap out my drive or performed any such operation by myself , Im sharing a room and due to personal reasons I did not attempt to do something like that , however a bigger factor was infact me doing something irreversible , I wasn't confident.

As for the Independent repair shop option , sign , I really could have done that at the start , this whole mess wouldn't have

happen , but no use crying over split milk now .

Right now , im taking the approach of getting the speaker and the fan being repaired for free since that issue weren't present when I gave him my laptop , all he really did is installing an m.2 drive.

I didnt spoke regarding this to him , the last conversation on call we had was him asking me to agree to these repairs and order the parts and add to my bill , I told him dont do anything yet.

23 minutes ago, ali99__ said:

Thank you for replying

No , I did not swap out my drive or performed any such operation by myself , Im sharing a room and due to personal reasons I did not attempt to do something like that , however a bigger factor was infact me doing something irreversible , I wasn't confident.

As for the Independent repair shop option , sign , I really could have done that at the start , this whole mess wouldn't have

happen , but no use crying over split milk now .

Right now , im taking the approach of getting the speaker and the fan being repaired for free since that issue weren't present when I gave him my laptop , all he really did is installing an m.2 drive.

I didnt spoke regarding this to him , the last conversation on call we had was him asking me to agree to these repairs and order the parts and add to my bill , I told him dont do anything yet.

At this point you might as well have him install the SSD.

If you can get him to replace the fan/speakers at no charge, do it. Get that in writing (via email or a printed invoice/scope of work/repair ledgar, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I am very doubtful that the fans and speaker broke on their own. He was likely fiddling around in the laptop and broke some connectors, or didn't reseat them properly. Get him to admit that he did it (pretty easy to tell what happened if they worked before the repair but didn't after) in writing, and you can probably get them fixed for free.