Upgrade: intel or amd

Budget (including currency):  £2000(ish) gbp

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming (flight sims, crisis, red dead..), standard apps (blender, iTunes, google chrome etc..)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello

So my current pc has just died, the mother board gave up the ghost, I have no idea why. One minute it was fine, next poof - nothing. I have tried everything to fix it but no luck at all.

My current build is:

Intel i7-4790k @4.9ghz (all cores and threads)

asus z97 deluxe mobo

16gb Corsair dominator platinum ram @ 1600(ish)mhz

2x evga gtx 980ti classified (overclocked) in sli 

custom ek cpu water cooling loop

Corsair hx 850i psu

So do I go AMD or Intel? Below is what I am proposing but i struggling to decide which way to go.

AMD:

ryzen 9 3900x

msi z570 godlike mobo

32gb Corsair dominator platinum ddr4 ram @ 3200 (dual channel)

gpu’s will stay along with power supply and cooling

Intel:

i9-10900k 

msi z490 godlike mobo 

Do I go more cores at slightly lower speeds, higher speeds but slightly less cores? The pci-e 4.0 is very tempting on Amd side but the overcooking on AMD is a bit more tricky and involved.

p.s. I will be upgrading to an RTX3080 later on.

Any advice or guidance would be helpful.

I would go ryzen and iirc blender not being so hard om ram so 16 would be enough maybe

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

3 minutes ago, Chickens2Death said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming (flight sims, crisis, red dead..), standard apps (blender, iTunes, google chrome etc..)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello

So my current pc has just died, the mother board gave up the ghost, I have no idea why. One minute it was fine, next poof - nothing. I have tried everything to fix it but no luck at all.

My current build is:

asus z97 deluxe mobo

Corsair hx 850i psu

So do I go AMD or Intel? Below is what I am proposing but i struggling to decide which way to go.

AMD:

ryzen 9 3900x

msi z570 godlike mobo

Intel:

i9-10900k 

msi z490 godlike mobo 

Do I go more cores at slightly lower speeds, higher speeds but slightly less cores? The pci-e 4.0 is very tempting on Amd side but the overcooking on AMD is a bit more tricky and involved.

Just get motherboard and CPU to fix your PC and reuse everything else

Since you are doing blender a 3900x would be nicer. But please don't spend 700$ on a motherboard there is no reason for that especially on ryzen a good b550 board is more than enough. If you really want x570 get one of the good x570 boards they are still overkill but 500$ cheaper. A msi x570 mpg is excellent and you will not notice any difference between the boards at all.

You could also just get a board from ebay for your current system and carry on. Way cheaper and it is still perfectly capable especially with such a good overclocking cpu.

For ryzen, get 3600mhz cl16 RAM.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Chickens2Death said:

overcooking on AMD is a bit more tricky and involved

it's as easy as turning on PBO

18 minutes ago, Chickens2Death said:

Hello

My current build is:

asus z97 deluxe mobo

Corsair hx 850i psu

AMD:

ryzen 9 3900x

msi z570 godlike mobo

Intel:

i9-10900k 

msi z490 godlike mobo 

since you are going 3080 amd is better with pci-e gen 4 and you have more upgrade paths.

You don't need to spend £600+ on a board. That is just wasting money that could be spent in other areas. With a £2000 budget you can easily get an RTX 3080 from the off.

An MSI X570 Tomahawk would save you around £400 for starters. Put that towards the RTX 3080.

waiting around for zen 3 will be nice, especially if you are not upgrading the gpu right away

13 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it's as easy as turning on PBO

Not really pbo doesn’t do that much besides increasing temps dramatically. Just do the time on manually OC or no OC at all.

45 minutes ago, Chickens2Death said:

AMD:

ryzen 9 3900x

msi z570 godlike mobo

for sure , for your wallets safety , no need to get a godlike mobo , something like a msi b550 gaming plus/msi b550 tomohawk ......get a better speed ram instead and  since u r gonna be getting rtx 3080 down the road , UNLESS u r getting the first shipment ....... it will take around 1- 2 months for them to be back on stock , so waiting for the 4000 series amd chips  / 11th gen intel chips to release might be a better idea

50 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Just get motherboard and CPU to fix your PC and reuse everything else

I was considering this, but I am not sure now a used motherboard id]s such a great idea. I know they can be fine.

i was thinking of upgrading this year anyway.

11 minutes ago, alirafi321 said:

for sure , for your wallets safety , no need to get a godlike mobo , something like a msi b550 gaming plus/msi b550 tomohawk ......get a better speed ram instead and  since u r gonna be getting rtx 3080 down the road , UNLESS u r getting the first shipment ....... it will take around 1- 2 months for them to be back on stock , so waiting for the 4000 series amd chips  / 11th gen intel chips to release might be a better idea

I won’t be getting the first lot, I am going to wait for reviews, I made that mistake last time with the rtx 2080ti. I would really like to wait, but my pc is dead and I can’t use it. Waiting around for ‘n’ months without it is pretty difficult.

I will definitely look at a cheaper motherboard, that seems to the written a few times in this, although i love the look of the godlike.  Better ram, are you thinking 3600? Lots of reviewers say above that then the ratio becomes 2:1 and it is best to keep it 1:1. 

55 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I would go ryzen and iirc blender not being so hard om ram so 16 would be enough maybe

Thanks. Ryzen seems to be the consensus and it is what I was thinking. 16gb of ram is only just enough at the mo, I have 3 flight sims and they eat memory for breakfast. 

11 hours ago, Chickens2Death said:

£2000(ish) gbp

If possible wait for zen 3 to come out and check what it has to offer first, as well ampere and big navi. 

11 hours ago, Excorcist_46 said:

you are going 3080 amd is better with pci-e gen 4

gen 3 is enough

11 hours ago, Excorcist_46 said:

and you have more upgrade paths.

how?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, Chickens2Death said:

Lots of reviewers

1 hour ago, Chickens2Death said:

reviews

lol , dont take reviewers words , MOST of em get paid to do a review 

2 hours ago, Chickens2Death said:

Hello

My current build is:

asus z97 deluxe mobo

Corsair hx 850i psu

AMD:

ryzen 9 3900x

msi z570 godlike mobo

Intel:

i9-10900k 

msi z490 godlike mobo 

Troubleshoot your current PC. Find out where the fault is and you may restore your PC to working order for the cost of a motherboard or CPU ( 50 gbp ), Then you can wait for a new PC and think it over without pressure.

3 hours ago, Chickens2Death said:

I was considering this, but I am not sure now a used motherboard id]s such a great idea. I know they can be fine.

i was thinking of upgrading this year anyway.

I would still advise a board replacement. Then you can hold out a bit and do a proper full upgrade later this year. Plus you have a sick secondary system you could sell for a lot of money as people pay a loot of extra for a watercooled machine even if it's old.

16 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

If possible wait for zen 3 to come out and check what it has to offer first, as well ampere and big navi. 

gen 3 is enough

how?

we know that intel does not support motherboards beyond 2 gens, going by history a 500 series am4 motherboard should last atleast till zen 4

10 hours ago, Excorcist_46 said:

going by history a 500 series am4 motherboard should last atleast till zen 4

zen 4 will be on a new platform. zen 3 is the last am4 lineup.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 hours ago, Excorcist_46 said:

we know that intel does not support motherboards beyond 2 gens, going by history a 500 series am4 motherboard should last atleast till zen 4

Am4 board upgrade support ends this year. Then it's on to am5. Intel will also just like every time do 2 cpu's on a socket and move on so 11th gen is the last one available too. No matter how you look at it both platforms are at their end.

22 hours ago, alirafi321 said:

lol , dont take reviewers words , MOST of em get paid to do a review 

Who's word should you take then ? As long as you watch reviews from the likes of Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed etc then you know you are not getting a BS review.