need help planning $2k 240hz build

vohh

Built a budget pc 3-4 years ago with a i5-6400 & GTX 1060 6gb with 16gb of RAM, its now a sad sight with dust covering everything and ketchup and mustard cables spilled around everywhere. It's time for an upgrade.

Budget: $2,000 USD

Use: Rust, CS:GO, TF2, Photoshop, etc.

Looking to get a constant 240fps in TF2, would be nice to also get that in rust and csgo. 

Nvidia cards and Intel CPUs only!

I'm not interested in spending over $2,000. I'd like to lower the cost as much as possible while not sacrificing power/aesthetics.

Speaking of aesthetics im thinking of doing either black/white or black/gray/silver. Please keep this in mind when recommending parts. No, i do not want a red mobo or ketchup cables.

I dont know much about getting custom cables or RGBs on parts. If any they will be black/gray/white.

Here's a pcpartpicker list I threw together that id like to improve on. 

I'll give a little insight on why I chose what I did

CPU: I went with an i9 because compared to the i7 i was looking at its only like a $60 difference. I'm assuming it'll be worth it. (only interested in intel cpus)

MOBO: It's black and white, didnt really put much insight into it. I want to make sure there are 4 ram slots and a slot for a m.2 ssd (im assuming they are put on the mobo)

MEMORY: I saw it in another build and the white rgbs looked nice, I could probably get away with 24 GB if its priced right

STORAGE: In my old pc I installed windows on a HDD, painful boots. My uncle says m.2 are the way to go. I've just about filled a 1TB HDD in 3 years so I dont think ill be needing much more that 1TB anytime soon. Can upgrade later.

GPU: From what ive seen the 2070 super is the best choice in this price range. The only thing that bugs me is the green lights. Is there anyway to keep them off? Otherwise I might just not get the founder's edition. (only interested in nvidia gpus)

CASE: Saw it in another build, looked killer with White RGBs There is also a black/steel version which I might be interested in if I head in that direction. I'm still open to cheaper cases as long as the aesthetics are nice.

POWER SUPPLY: I'm assuming I need a fully modular power supply in order to use custom cables. Not much reason for that one otherwise. Where should i go to get custom cables?

OS: I'll just buy a key of Kinguin or G2A. They still have good reputations right? no scams?

WIFI CARD: Ive been using a dinky little usb card for wifi the last 3 years. Should I look into getting a mobo with an onboard wifi card or will a wifi card suffice? Please inform me more about this I want good ping!

Monitor: I figured if im going to be getting all this I should probably upgrade to a 240hz monitor, upgrading from a BenQ XL2720 i got off ebay. Ill proably snag one off of ebay. Any other good 240hz+ monitors around this price?

In short I wanna cut down on costs while keeping power and aesthetics. Please give me some recommendations and answer my questions (intel and nvidia only pls)

Wait a month and get the 3070, doesn't make sense not to especially if you're spending this much.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

15 minutes ago, vohh said:

Intel CPUs only!

Any Particular reason?

GPU: From what ive seen the 2070 super is the best choice in this price range. The only thing that bugs me is the green lights. Is there anyway to keep them off? Otherwise I might just not get the founder's edition. (only interested in nvidia gpus)

Wait a month and get a 3070

Please inform me more about this I want good ping!

Use ethernet

Get an i7 10700k or i9 10900k

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

2 minutes ago, mopman94 said:

Wait a month and get the 3070, doesn't make sense not to especially if you're spending this much.

Im planning on getting a 2070 off of ebay, I'm hoping I can get one for around $400 but ill have to watch auctions.
The 3070 sounds cool but is it really going to live up to the hype and also will they all sell out immediately?

11 minutes ago, vohh said:

CPU: I went with an i9 because compared to the i7 i was looking at its only like a $60 difference. I'm assuming it'll be worth it. (only interested in intel cpus)

i would argue you only need 10600k for those games

11 minutes ago, vohh said:

MOBO: It's black and white, didnt really put much insight into it. I want to make sure there are 4 ram slots and a slot for a m.2 ssd (im assuming they are put on the mobo)

at least pick a Z series board if you're picking K sku chips

12 minutes ago, vohh said:

wait for new stuffs

13 minutes ago, vohh said:

you're getting a highend rig, get a high end PSU like RM650x maybe, or RM850x for more headroom

14 minutes ago, vohh said:

WIFI CARD: Ive been using a dinky little usb card for wifi the last 3 years. Should I look into getting a mobo with an onboard wifi card or will a wifi card suffice? Please inform me more about this I want good ping!

use ethernet if you want stability

wifi and ethernet ping is about the same, but only if wifi is stable

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

=

1 minute ago, vohh said:

The 3070 sounds cool but is it really going to live up to the hype and also will they all sell out immediately?

For around $499 you get the performance of a 2080ti with the 3070. But wait for independent reviews before anything.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

2 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Any Particular reason?

Wait a month and get a 3070

Use ethernet

I prefer Intel.

already responded to this idea on mopmans post.

Ethernet is not an option. I'm renting a place and drilling holes in the wall is not an option. Having a cord trailing through my home is not a good option for me. 

Heres my suggestion:

Same budget.

Better Monitor. 240Hz is unnessecary if you're not playing on a very high competetive level. I had 240Hz monitors and could NOT notice a difference between it and my 144Hz LG 27GN850.

CPU will perform the same while being much cheaper.

you didn't include a CPU cooler, i did.

Actually decent mobo that won't cook off as soon as you turn on your PC.

RTX 2070 is a PLACEHOLDER, go for the 3070, which will launch next month for 499$ and 2080Ti-like performance.

Completely black/white themed build without RGB for a subtle but still great looking PC.

For under 2000$ total you could still upgrade the SSD storage to 2TB.

Let me know what you think!

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i would argue you only need 10600k for those games

alright i swapped it with a 10700k

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

at least pick a Z series board if you're picking K sku chips

not familiar with what z series is, what black/white mobos would you recommend?

Just now, vohh said:

not familiar with what z series is

Z series is the chipset, you have a K sku chip, so picking a Z chipset board will allow you to OC it.

1 minute ago, vohh said:

what black/white mobos would you recommend?

im not familiar with motherboard, but isnt most board today black and grey?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Better Monitor. 240Hz is unnessecary if you're not playing on a very high competetive level. I had 240Hz monitors and could NOT notice a difference between it and my 144Hz LG 27GN850.

I play competitively. I'm set on getting a 240hz, even if it isnt a big difference it still would be nice to have. Its kind of making this upgrade worth while because my current build is getting 144hz, ill be selling my old monitor anyway since its not very good as a 2nd monitor.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

RTX 2070 is a PLACEHOLDER, go for the 3070, which will launch next month for 499$ and 2080Ti-like performance.

aight everyone is on that 3070 hype, i cave.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

you didn't include a CPU cooler, i did.

Thanks. How painful is watercooling because ive been looking at this NZXT kraken water cooler and it looks pretty slick. is it worth it?

6 minutes ago, vohh said:

I play competitively. I'm set on getting a 240hz, even if it isnt a big difference it still would be nice to have. Its kind of making this upgrade worth while because my current build is getting 144hz, ill be selling my old monitor anyway since its not very good as a 2nd monitor.

Alright, makes sense that you want to upgrade the refresh rate. In this case the 27GN750 is still a solid monitor and definetly capable of 240Hz.

7 minutes ago, vohh said:

aight everyone is on that 3070 hype, i cave.

It's the only thing that makes sense. Why buy a 2070 Super when you can have heaps more performance for the same price 1 month later.

8 minutes ago, vohh said:

Thanks. How painful is watercooling because ive been looking at this NZXT kraken water cooler and it looks pretty slick. is it worth it?

AiO watercoolers are pretty easy to install, but not realy worth it in my opinion. A decent air cooler like the one i included will go a long way and even allow for overclocking if you want to in the future. Plus, the AiO's have a pump that can fail, which is a lot worse than a failing fan on an air cooler.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.