Looking to upgrade my PC today

MatthewSH

Okay guys. Looking to upgrade some components. I know there's a bottleneck somewhere and this PC hasn't been upgraded in years. Like 5. Honestly, was thinking about getting a new case all together.
I'm literally copying this information straight from Speccy. I can't recall the exact brands/specs.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
MoBo: ASUS M5A97
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 Super (4GB)
RAM: (this is where I can't remember the brand, so I'll have to actually open it if needed for this) "16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)"

PSU, maybe looking to upgrade that to a modular? Not looking to spend a crazy amount of money. Maybe some sleek case suggestions too? Honestly, I could just setup a new PC and use my old 1050ti for this PC and have it as a dedicated streaming PC.

Know what, what are some good suggestions for a decent gaming PC (knowing that I won't have to worry about graphics, OS, monitors, etc).

I don't need on board WiFi. I don't need any crazy RGB stuff. For gaming, I play games like Overwatch, etc. But I play them at super low quality to squeeze as close as I can to 120+ FPS out of it. I also do a lot of programming, but even that isn't hindered on any of my older builds so no worries there. I just use VMs for some stuff like replicating server setups.

So here's what I have to move over.

- Storage (I have SSD and HDDs right now)

- Graphics card (my 1650 super, not looking to upgrade really...if it's not compatible with the build then I have my other graphics cards too)

- Any peripherals

Really, I guess I need help selecting the case, RAM, MoBo, PSU, and CPU, and anything else you guys can suggest. Again, not looking to spend a crazy amount. I get that MoBo/CPU could cost about $350? Maybe a bit more. RAM about $100ish, and case...eh. Case I just really want a blackish case. It's not really visible and I don't need anything super fancy. Just keep it cool and we're good. I guess I'll need cooling too. So...yeah. Throw that in there.

CPU : wait for AMD 4th gen.

Mobo : B550 or B450

Storage : 1 SSD and a HDD

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

CPU : wait for AMD 4th gen.

Mobo : B550 or B450

Storage : 1 SSD and a HDD

Is there any reason I should wait though? I'm not an enthusiast and really all I do is game/stream on it. Well, besides writing code...but that's different. My old roommate built a Ryzen build like 4 years ago and it still holds up really well to this day for VR, streaming, gaming, etc.

Yes, the new one will be a bit faster for the same price.

Since it's 2-3 months away i suggest waiting.

Once the new one announced the current CPU will also drop the price by 20%, that's another reason to wait if you wanna get cheap older cpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, MatthewSH said:

Is there any reason I should wait though? I'm not an enthusiast and really all I do is game/stream on it. Well, besides writing code...but that's different. My old roommate built a Ryzen build like 4 years ago and it still holds up really well to this day for VR, streaming, gaming, etc.

When second gen Ryzen dropped, the Ryzen 5 1600 cut $80 off its price tag. When third gen dropped, same thing happened with the be 2600. Cheaper is more gooder

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

When second gen Ryzen dropped, the Ryzen 5 1600 cut $80 off its price tag. When third gen dropped, same thing happened with the be 2600. Cheaper is more gooder

I guess for me though, that extra $60 doesn't mean so much that it will prevent me from getting a better build...you know? Plus...weird things are happening with my PC more often and I'm worried that after 5-6 years of very intensive use the MoBo is finally starting to give out I believe. I mean, USB ports constantly shutting down, the whole PC loosing power. Fans lose power. It could be a PSU issue too...but with how much seems to be going wrong and the everyday bottlenecks I'm getting...I'm willing to pay that little bit more right now so I'm not having these issues anymore...

EDIT: I want to clarify, this only happened a bit and then has happened more and more. I'm scared to even plug more USB devices in because like 3-4 will randomly shut down completely. I don't have that many plugged in either.

4 minutes ago, MatthewSH said:

I guess for me though, that extra $60 doesn't mean so much that it will prevent me from getting a better build...you know? Plus...weird things are happening with my PC more often and I'm worried that after 5-6 years of very intensive use the MoBo is finally starting to give out I believe. I mean, USB ports constantly shutting down, the whole PC loosing power. Fans lose power. It could be a PSU issue too...but with how much seems to be going wrong and the everyday bottlenecks I'm getting...I'm willing to pay that little bit more right now so I'm not having these issues anymore...

EDIT: I want to clarify, this only happened a bit and then has happened more and more. I'm scared to even plug more USB devices in because like 3-4 will randomly shut down completely. I don't have that many plugged in either.

Then this might work

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Then this might work

So you're saying "might" work, what could be your reservations with this build?

2 minutes ago, MatthewSH said:

So you're saying "might" work, what could be your reservations with this build?

I'm just saying "might" because your budget and use case was pretty generalized. It's a pretty strong parts list with a quality upgrade path to newer and higher core count CPUs, and I'm personally a huge fan of the case.

If you like the idea of a strong 6 core part and a feature-filled board in a spacious case, it's a good buy, but you can also save money with micro ATX offerings and getting the Ryzen 3 3100, still a large improvement over your current CPU.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I'm just saying "might" because your budget and use case was pretty generalized. It's a pretty strong parts list with a quality upgrade path to newer and higher core count CPUs, and I'm personally a huge fan of the case.

If you like the idea of a strong 6 core part and a feature-filled board in a spacious case, it's a good buy, but you can also save money with micro ATX offerings and getting the Ryzen 3 3100, still a large improvement over your current CPU.

Oh okay, yeah. That definitely fits where I'm looking to spend. I just opened the case and looked at PSU. It's a diablotek 775w ATX UL series PSU. Model is PSUL775. Here's the Newegg link: https://www.newegg.com/diablotek-ul-series-psul775-775w/p/N82E16817822015

What if we were to throw a modular PSU in there? Just to help clean up the wires. That's one thing I'm hating about my current build is the fact I'm horrible at cable management and there's so many freaking cables from the PSU.

Just now, MatthewSH said:

What if we were to throw a modular PSU in there? Just to help clean up the wires. That's one thing I'm hating about my current build is the fact I'm horrible at cable management and there's so many freaking cables from the PSU.

That and diablotek PSUs are infamously bombs disguised as power supplies. If you are having problems, I am not surprised if it was directly related to the PSU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

This would do nicely.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

That and diablotek PSUs are infamously bombs disguised as power supplies. If you are having problems, I am not surprised if it was directly related to the PSU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

This would do nicely.

Yeah, looking around...that's what I'm thinking. I did inherit this build from my old roommate too when he built his new PC. I haven't done any major upgrades.

Looks like a good build. Honestly, I'll probably run it by a couple others to get opinions because I'm not the best with hardware side of things. If they thinks it's good then I'll pull the trigger. Really appreciate your help!

Actually, now that I'm thinking. Cooling, will I need to get more fans or is the stock stuff gonna be okay?