Is it okay to use monitor at max brightness

EndofEra

I just bought an asus VP249QGR and it is my first 144hz monitor and I am used to maxing out the brightness of my previous monitors(cheap TN ones with a reso of 1366x768). I am now torn apart if I should max out the brightness since I saw a forum though it was quite old, dating back at 2009, saying that it shortens the lifespan of the back light. Is it still applicable to todays monitors? Can I max out my monitors brightness?

P.S. I really want to lengthen the lifespan of this monitor since it is not really that cheap for me

If you already see whats on the screen what is the point of going brighter? Direct sunlight is screens worst enemy...

5 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

should be fine if it's a high quality panel and not something cheap, though it can still affect it's lifespan somewhat and it's not good for your eyes either

is the effect on its lifespan that big especially in the long run?

5 minutes ago, RageTester said:

If you already see whats on the screen what is the point of going brighter? Direct sunlight is screens worst enemy...

I am not on a directly sunlit room but in the morning it gets really bright and since I have a big windows just about 3 feet from me

Yeah, I wouldn't run them at 100%

It's not necessarily about short lifespan ... it's a bit complicated to explain. it's an issue of how much heat those leds will produce and how there's a higher chance the wires that connect the diode that emits light to the package will break or become loose due to heat.  If a led dies, it's possible the whole strip or a segment of led strip which produces light will fail. 

Older monitors used fluorescent tubes...like the neon long tubes used to light big rooms. Those were rated for many hours and they're relatively cold, but when driven at high brightness they would slowly become a bit yellowish so instead of having a nice white / almost bluish tint panel, the monitor would become a bit cream / warm white. 

The led backlights typically use blue leds with some phosphorus applied to convert the blue into yellow / white and some extra filters to make the light emitted more natural, more spectrum. 

In lots of monitors the leds are barely cooled enough and the manufacturers often rely on fact you're using monitor only for a few a hours a day , so especially on cheaper monitors they add heatsinks and design it just well enough to last more than the 3-5 years of warranty 

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, I wouldn't run them at 100%

It's not necessarily about short lifespan ... it's a bit complicated to explain. it's an issue of how much heat those leds will produce and how there's a higher chance the wires that connect the diode that emits light to the package will break or become loose due to heat.  If a led dies, it's possible the whole strip or a segment of led strip which produces light will fail. 

Older monitors used fluorescent tubes...like the neon long tubes used to light big rooms. Those were rated for many hours and they're relatively cold, but when driven at high brightness they would slowly become a bit yellowish so instead of having a nice white / almost bluish tint panel, the monitor would become a bit cream / warm white. 

The led backlights typically use blue leds with some phosphorus applied to convert the blue into yellow / white and some extra filters to make the light emitted more natural, more spectrum. 

In lots of monitors the leds are barely cooled enough and the manufacturers often rely on fact you're using monitor only for a few a hours a day , so especially on cheaper monitors they add heatsinks and design it just well enough to last more than the 3-5 years of warranty 

this is great info, what level of brightness would you suggest for me to use? this monitor has an ips panel according to its specs

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Honestly, it is a personal preference.

yes I know but I am willing to sacrifice a bit of my preference if maxing the brightness would affect its lifespan

13 minutes ago, EndofEra said:

this is great info, what level of brightness would you suggest for me to use? this monitor has an ips panel according to its specs

I personally feel 70-85% is enough brightness on lots of monitors. Same for TVs... tv's are even more sensitive to this as they have bigger surface area so they often use more power leds which are more heat sensitive... 

Ideally, you'd do a color calibration on your monitor - you'll most likely find you get more accurate colors when both brightness and contrast are not quite at 100% 

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I personally feel 70-85% is enough brightness on lots of monitors. Same for TVs... tv's are even more sensitive to this as they have bigger surface area so they often use more power leds which are more heat sensitive... 

Ideally, you'd do a color calibration on your monitor - you'll most likely find you get more accurate colors when both brightness and contrast are not quite at 100% 

okay thank you very much for those infos will take note of them