THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER New PC BSODing constantly: R3 3200g, Asrock A320m-HDV R4.0, 8 GB RAM Dual-Channel

Hello everyone, I built this new PC with all new componentes (Except for a very very old case, but that shouldn't matter, the PSU is new), and it's crashing all the time while gaming. The exact components are:

-CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200g
-GPU: AMD Vega 3
-Motherboard: Asrock A320M-HDV R4.0 (BIOS factory default 3.70)
-RAM: 2x4 GB Kingston 2666 MHz KVR26N19S6/4

-SSD: Kingston A400 480 GB

The PC works, it boots up (And quite fast at that), I can use office programs, internet browsing, no problem. However, when gaming I get constant BSOD, always the same error code: "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"

I tried updating the BIOS from version 3.70 to version 4.00, and I still get the crashes.

Last night, I was able to play for about 3 hours no problems, but today I couldn't play one whole CSGO competitive match without crashing. I noticed something interesting, it's always when using an internet browser on the backgroud while the game was on. I guess it could have been other programs, but I tested while whatching YouTube videos. I tried a few times, and indeed the game worked fine until I put on a video. It's not instant, and it seems kinda random, but it's what I could gather. Also, for some reason (As of now, I'll keep testing), the PC only crashed when using Microsoft Edge. I went around 20 minutes watching with Chrome and it was fine, then used Edge and within 3 or 4 minutes it crashed. I repeated this a couple times. It could have been just coincidence, but I don't know.

Other thing that got my attention is the low CPU and GPU usage while playing. It never reached 100% in either of those, even with Vsync off and unlimited framerate. It's not thermal throttle, according to HWMonitor and Speccy, temps were cool at about 40º-50ºC. 

I'm thinking about downgrading the BIOS to version 3.30, which is the first one to support the 3200g. But I wanted to ask opinions on what to do here, and if someone had similar problems.

I don't think this is the problem, but I'm not using a 80 plus PSU. Since it's a low power build, I thought spending lots of money on a good PSU was a waste, and just went for a generic one, with at least a little bit of power on the 12V line (rated for 32 A, it should be more than enough, but I'm throwing this here just in case). This is the PSU: http://lnz.com.ar/index.php/producto/sx-550-watts/

Now this may be a bit silly but... are short circuits with the case possible? I'm guessing if that was the case the PC wouldn't work at all, but since it's pretty old and uses a kinda different mounting mechanism for the screws... idk, I really don't think so, but yeah...

I still can ask for a refund, so that's my chance, I have 2 weeks to fix the problem, but I don't want to get to that. I rather fix the problem. My main suspect here is the motherboard, but I can't be sure, maybe the CPU or RAM?

So... If anyone could help me, I'd be extremely grateful, I hope I can find an answer soon.

24 minutes ago, ivan3dx said:

I thought spending lots of money on a good PSU was a waste

no, always better to buy a quality psu, rather than get a cheap one and risk a fire, or it destroying your pc. if you have not already, i would try ddu on the display drivers, and reinstall the latest ones. what are you using to check usage? if it is the same as temps, i would use hwinfo instead, as speccy and hwmonitor aren't good anymore.

10 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

no, always better to buy a quality psu, rather than get a cheap one and risk a fire, or it destroying your pc. if you have not already, i would try ddu on the display drivers, and reinstall the latest ones. what are you using to check usage? if it is the same as temps, i would use hwinfo instead, as speccy and hwmonitor aren't good anymore.

I understand the PSU thing, is just that spending 15% more on the cheapest 80 plus PSU I could find, which wasn't even that good (Gamemax VP500), or 35% more on a Corsair PSU didn't seem to justify a statistically improbable scenario (I never heard it happen first hand, though I read some stories on the internet). Those 15% and 35% are TOTAL PC budget btw.

Regardless of the danger, I don't think the PSU is causing the problem.

Regarding the drivers, I formatted the SSD and reinstalled Windows, so I really don't think that's the problem, though I could try, and I will uninstall and reinstall them now.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

bro im facing the same issue can anybody help me