Dual Monitor Setup

Hello all, 

i need help setting up a Dual Monitor on my PC.

I have recently purchased a Gigabyte RTX2060 Super Gaming OC. It comes with 3 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI output.

I also have purchased a new monitor to have as my main. ( AOC G2590FX).

I have been having issues trying to connect my old monitor (LG 22EN43T-B).

My old monitor has only 2 available options to connect. A DVI-D and a VGA.

I tried going the DisplayPort to DVI-D route with buying two cables but that didn't seem to work because it displayed "No Signal"

So the last thing i could think of making this work is  buying a DVI-D to HDMI adapter.

I have connected the adaptor straight on my LG Monitor and then attached a working HDMI cable from the GPU to the LG Monitor. 

When i connect the LG monitor, i can hear the connection sound on my speakers, my AOC monitor goes to no signal and my LG monitor isn't displaying anything ( Black screen).

So after obsessing over this for 2 days straight i thought i maaaaaaybe need some help.

Any ideas or recommendations are welcome and i would realy appretiate it.

You can connect it with a basic DVI to HDMI cable like this https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

On 9/3/2020 at 7:21 PM, Biomecanoid said:

2nd monitor is usually off unless you enable it from nvidia/amd/intel control panel.

That might be case but once i connect my old monitor it does sound like it has connected but then both my screens turn black and the AOC displaying "No signal" meaning i can't do anything on the computer while the LG is connected. 

Could the Frequency set on my AOC cause compatibility issues? I've set it up to 144Hz while the LG can only go up to 60Hz.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, G27Racer_188 said:

You can connect it with a basic DVI to HDMI cable like this https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/

I will start troubleshooting again with the assumption i have a faulty adapter and buy a solid cable DVI to HDMI as you have suggested and see what happens. 

Update: i've managed to change by using windows button &P to get the AOC display back to normal while the LG is still connected.
Unfortunately, the LG is still active but displaying just a black screen. Both screens are now shown in the device manager and in NVidias' control panel under the multiple displays configuration. 
I did try to  connect the LG Monitor with a XMG laptop but it had the same result so i will get a dvi to hdmi cable tomorrow. 

On 9/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, G27Racer_188 said:

I will start troubleshooting again with the assumption i have a faulty adapter and buy a solid cable DVI to HDMI as you have suggested and see what happens. 

Update: i bought a straight dvi to hdmi cable:

the NVidia control panel and the Device manager detect both monitors but the LG is displaying a no signal.

Device Manager.JPG

NVidia Control Panel.JPG

What input did you use on the LG before you got 2060? Do you know that DVI input is working.

Also if you have HDMI to HDMI cable, try connecting only AOC via it's HDMI input to the GPU. Maybe it's HDMI port is bad.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

5 hours ago, G27Racer_188 said:

What input did you use on the LG before you got 2060? Do you know that DVI input is working.

Also if you have HDMI to HDMI cable, try connecting only AOC via it's HDMI input to the GPU. Maybe it's HDMI port is bad.

I was using the DVI input before i got the 2060. Frankly, i don't know for sure if the monitors DVI is not working ( because i don't have a device that i can directly connect the monitor via DVI without an adapter at the moment) but i'm sure the 2060s' HDMI port is woking because i had succesfully connected my tv screen with the same HDMI cable i had the dvi-hdmi adapter on.

If the DVI input wasn't working wouldn't that mean that the monitor wouldn't be recognized as a device via Device Manager and NVidias' control panel?

Right, i've managed to having the old monitor working.

1. I downloaded the monitor drivers for each one ( LG didn't have drivers for the specific model but they did have one for a variation of the said model)

2. Restarted the computer

3. Went on the NVidia Control Panel and dropped down the screen resolution for the LG monitor down to 800x600 with a 56Hz.

It started displaying although it was distorted and with some red pixelation.

4. After tweaking between resolutions and with a stable 60Hz it started working again.

Thank you @G27Racer_188, @Biomecanoid for your help and your suggestions. 

That is really odd, but I'm glad you found the solution. My guess is that GPU tried to push 144Hz to both monitors, which is obviously out of range for LG.

How have you ended up connection the LG, straight DVI-HDMI cable or through an adapter?

15 hours ago, G27Racer_188 said:

That is really odd, but I'm glad you found the solution. My guess is that GPU tried to push 144Hz to both monitors, which is obviously out of range for LG.

How have you ended up connection the LG, straight DVI-HDMI cable or through an adapter?

My guess is that probably the computer was trying to push the same Resolution on the LG Monitor which couldn't work. 

After i was able to make it work i tried using my various cables that i bought through out the troubleshooting process...

1. DVI-D to Display Port (2 different cables)  - Nope

2. DVI-D to HDMI with an adapter - Works

3. DVI-D to HDMI straight cable - Works
So at the moment i am using option 3. 

Although i get some random flickerings/black outs from time to time on the LG monitor, i will get by with it until the VGA to HDMI adapter arrives to test out which is optimal.