Have to restart router every 2 hours

kurama3114

Hello, I am having a problem where I have to restart my router every 2-3 hours a day. When I restart it, I get wireless speeds of around 80-90 mbps, however about 2 hours later the speed will drop to 1-2 mbps. I restart it and all is good. The weird thing is that whenever I have super slow WIFI speed my ether-net is fine, it's just my wireless, on all 3 bands as well. My router is the Nighthawk X6S AC3600. I pay for 300 mbps downloads from Comcast Xfinity, and live in the southeast US. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

yeah its probably that your router gets to toasty try keeping it somewhere with a little airflow or attach a fan to it 

The router may be due a firmware upgrade maybe?  Maybe a heat problem??

1 hour ago, kb5zue said:

The router may be due a firmware upgrade maybe?  Maybe a heat problem??

I just updated the firmware and the problem still stands, but it might be a heat problem. It is in my linen closet with no airflow. Unfortunately I can't move it elsewhere because it connects to my network switch through a brush plate in the closet. Would using a small fan do the trick? 

2 hours ago, kurama3114 said:

I just updated the firmware and the problem still stands, but it might be a heat problem. It is in my linen closet with no airflow. Unfortunately I can't move it elsewhere because it connects to my network switch through a brush plate in the closet. Would using a small fan do the trick? 

Good news on the firmware.  As for the heat problem, any fan is better than no fan.

@kurama3114

Start by feeling the X6S's case. Does it feel unbearably hot that you can't leave your hand on it for more than 10-15 seconds or can you tolerate it for longer?

Heat is a killer of electronics. Not many router SoCs have good power management to underclock when running hot, like computer CPUs. They can tolerate quite high temperatures, but at some point, functions will fail. Running the wireless radios produces the most heat from what I've experienced; if you've ever converted a wireless router to just a router, you'll be able to tell the difference. That's why the wired connections still remain active.

If you don't want to shorten the lifespan of your X6S, you should seriously consider moving it into the open, away from direct sun and things that might obstruct ventilation. Running a fan where it is currently might temporarily improve performance, but if enough hot air builds up in that closet, it's just circulating already-hot air.

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

@kurama3114

Start by feeling the X6S's case. Does it feel unbearably hot that you can't leave your hand on it for more than 10-15 seconds or can you tolerate it for longer?

Heat is a killer of electronics. Not many router SoCs have good power management to underclock when running hot, like computer CPUs. They can tolerate quite high temperatures, but at some point, functions will fail. Running the wireless radios produces the most heat from what I've experienced; if you've ever converted a wireless router to just a router, you'll be able to tell the difference. That's why the wired connections still remain active.

If you don't want to shorten the lifespan of your X6S, you should seriously consider moving it into the open, away from direct sun and things that might obstruct ventilation. Running a fan where it is currently might temporarily improve performance, but if enough hot air builds up in that closet, it's just circulating already-hot air.

That's the thing, when I feel the router it feels lukewarm at the hottest, nowhere near unbearable. That's why initially thought it wasn't a heat problem. The issue just started happening and if anything my house has gotten cooler because I got my ac fixed a few weeks ago, so I don't think the summer heat would be the reason. I will just leave the closet door open for now and see if that helps, and maybe have a fan blowing over it. Do you think there could be any issues other than overheating?

2 hours ago, kurama3114 said:

Do you think there could be any issues other than overheating?

Start by getting the X6S out of the closet. Other than heat, you're limiting the wireless signal by placing it in a closet. If it needs to be connected to the switch in the closet, just use a longer ethernet cable or extend it with a coupler.

Next, run a wireless survey (see WiFi Analyzer from the Microsoft store) from a computer near to the X6S. Post screenshots of the 'Networks' and' Analyze' (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands). Identify your wireless SSID.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:54 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Start by getting the X6S out of the closet. Other than heat, you're limiting the wireless signal by placing it in a closet. If it needs to be connected to the switch in the closet, just use a longer ethernet cable or extend it with a coupler.

Next, run a wireless survey (see WiFi Analyzer from the Microsoft store) from a computer near to the X6S. Post screenshots of the 'Networks' and' Analyze' (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands). Identify your wireless SSID.

OK, so I fixed the problem. I did what you said and ran the tests on the laptop, and I got good speeds, etc. However, even when the wifi slowed down on my phone, the pc with wifi was still fine, so it was a problem with my phone. It turns out my phone was treating my wifi as a metered connection, so it was throttling me. Thanks for your help!