Am I being ridiculous

Bassai Dai

Hi all.

Am I being ridiculous?

I'm currently working from home, and have my work computer (on the left), my home computer is on the right and as I use it almost daily. To use a different one, I have to switch the USB and one Display port cable from the back and switch it with the other.

My work computer, I dont care about. Ill happily drag and smash that about all day. My computer is a little more important to me. Its a bit of a faff to pull it out gently, and the rubber feet grip the floor quite well.

I'm considering making a trolley for it to sit on. Effectively 4 wheels on a board to it slides back and forth.

Is that a stupid thing to do, anyone done similar?

15989082625117146930237289636661.jpg

What would be stupid about it? Go for it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

you could also put in switches so you don't have to move anything, pricier, but cleaner imo

10 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

you could also put in switches so you don't have to move anything, pricier, but cleaner imo

Can a DVI do that, does it introduce input lag for my USB devices?

12 minutes ago, Bassai Dai said:

Can a DVI do that, does it introduce input lag for my USB devices?

i don't have experience with gaming over a kvm switch, but afaik lag depends on the quality of the switch you use. I've only used one with display port, but I'm sure ones with dvi exist.

Why not? That's a cool idea.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |