Best used am4 CPU on tight budget

Looking for a temporary CPU replacement since my x79 board died I got myself an am4 board and 8gb of 3200 viper ram, for now it's single channel but I will get another stick and new CPU, but I need to actually buy the CPU, I have around a £30 budget/$40 and I've seen amds A12 9800 used for £25, is this a bad buy, I would be using it for a few months at most and only play games like apex legends and Forza horizon 4, pretty much it

For around 50ish bucks you can get a 1200 af new if you can find one, as for used, a used 1200 or maybe a 1600 if you can find one for that price.

what board is that?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, Stargaze obama said:

I've seen amds A12 9800 used for £25

terrible option, only compatible with early BIOS revisions on first gen boards.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

For around 50ish bucks you can get a 1200 af new if you can find one, as for used, a used 1200 or maybe a 1600 if you can find one for that price.

what board is that?

Just an a320 board from ASRock

My budget is £30, I cannot spend more than that, what about the 3000g? Seems like a worthy competitor

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

terrible option, only compatible with early BIOS revisions on first gen boards.

Oh thanks for the info, would a 3000g be a better option? Forgot to mention I'm running an RX 570, not the intergrated gpu

1 minute ago, Stargaze obama said:

would a 3000g be a better option

Would be a lot better. If a 3000g is the best thing that you can get then yes it's a lot better. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Would be a lot better. If a 3000g is the best thing that you can get then yes it's a lot better. 

Ok then, just because the 9800 is a quad core, wasn't sure how it's architecture faired and struggled to actually find benchmarks anywhere, most of them were estimates

10 hours ago, Stargaze obama said:

most of them were estimates

well there is more to a cpu than that, there's the ipc and the fpu, the cache layout etc.

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

well there is more to a cpu than that, there's the ipc and the fpu, the cache layout etc.

Yes, but games are favouring more cores and coming from a Xeon 2630 it's quite a few threads and cores less, I've never even had a dual core so I'm not sure what my  frames are going to be like, stable or not ect

9 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

as others have said look for a Ryzen 5 1200. 

I have been using my 360 as entertainment during lockdown, my motherboard died 2 months ago and I've been saving for a system since, I do not want to sell anything else, I would rather suffer lower frames and stutters on some games than wait for my quarantine to be over when I can get another job, so I'd like a 1200, I can't afford one or I will be waiting until next year when zen 3 is out and the 1200 is at a reasonable used price, it's currently£70/£100 and I haven't seen it cheaper apart from china, I don't want to wait

1 minute ago, Stargaze obama said:

Yes, but games are favouring more cores and coming from a Xeon 2630 it's quite a few threads and cores less, I've never even had a dual core so I'm not sure what my  frames are going to be like, stable or not ect

the 3000g will be fine as a temporary CPU, if you're only using it for a few months it would be better to get a new dual core than getting a discontinued 4 core that barely has any support. The 3000g is also on the 14nm process which won't require any BIOS updates for older AM4 boards

3 minutes ago, Som3a said:

the 3000g will be fine as a temporary CPU, if you're only using it for a few months it would be better to get a new dual core than getting a discontinued 4 core that barely has any support. The 3000g is also on the 14nm process which won't require any BIOS updates for older AM4 boards

Thanks, my final option then

24 minutes ago, Stargaze obama said:

Oh thanks for the info, would a 3000g be a better option? Forgot to mention I'm running an RX 570, not the intergrated gpu

If you can get it on the cheap, it's far from a terrible CPU. As long as you're sure the motherboard is compatible, since it is a third gen CPU and will require a recent BIOS, despite the fact that it only uses first gen Zen architecture.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If you can get it on the cheap, it's far from a terrible CPU. As long as you're sure the motherboard is compatible, since it is a third gen CPU and will require a recent BIOS, despite the fact that it only uses first gen Zen architecture.

My board does support it, running the latest bios as I got it used, made sure they person updated it for me

Look for Ryzen 5 1400. 4 c 8t. I Have one. Really decent cpu. No igp though.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Look for Ryzen 5 1400. 4 c 8t. I Have one. Really decent cpu. No igp though.

we did suggest a 1200 but it's out of his budget, i doubt a 1400 will be within it

Just now, Som3a said:

we did suggest a 1200 but it's out of his budget, i doubt a 1400 will be within it

I have one of those too. I dont suggest that cpu because of lack of threads.

But now a realization, perhaps a 200 or 220ge would suffice until a later time when funds are better. I have one of each of those as well. 

Just now, Som3a said:

I'd love a 1200 but it's literally not possible at all, their prices has risen and haven't fallen at all, I will probably buy a 2600 once I get back into work but this is purely a place holder, I don't need a powerful chip anyway

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I have one of those too. I dont suggest that cpu because of lack of threads.

But now a realization, perhaps a 200 or 220ge would suffice until a later time when funds are better. I have one of each of those as well. 

Why do you have so many ryzens and not use them? Or do you use them?

200ge is as cheap as they come. Get that.

Just now, Stargaze obama said:

Why do you have so many ryzens and not use them? Or do you use them?

I did the 200 and 200ge, one for delid experiment ( not soldered) and the other is my wife's office PC.

I also did the 1200 for HTPC but lacked the threads so bought the 1400. The 1200 I delidded for experiment and turned out to be soldered. 

My brother now has the 1400.

I also have a 2700x which you see in my avatar.

Then the 3000 series came out and the price increase wasn't good. No reason to upgrade a 2700x for 10 lousy percent IPC.

Lastly, tldr, I'm an enthusiast more than a gamer.

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I did the 200 and 200ge, one for delid experiment ( not soldered) and the other is my wife's office PC.

I also did the 1200 for HTPC but lacked the threads so bought the 1400. The 1200 I delidded for experiment and turned out to be soldered. 

My brother now has the 1400.

I also have a 2700x which you see in my avatar.

Then the 3000 series came out and the price increase wasn't good. No reason to upgrade a 2700x for 10 lousy percent IPC.

Lastly, tldr, I'm an enthusiast more than a gamer.

Oh I see, just amd parts or anything Intel or older chips?

25 minutes ago, Stargaze obama said:

Oh I see, just amd parts or anything Intel or older chips?

Have 8700K that I use strictly for 3D competitive benchmarking.

Edited by ShrimpBrime
Spelling

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Have 8700K that I use strictly for 3D competitive benchmarking.

You just see who has the best oc? Sounds expensive and time consuming