500W for OC'd 1660 Super + OC'd R5 3600?

lenardmgtr

Title, basically. Would a 500W PSU be enough for an overclocked 1660 super and overclocked Ryzen 5 3600? Of course, the ability to upgrade would be a bit compromised, but I figure by the time I'd want to upgrade I'd just build an entirely new rig and pass it down to my younger sister.

Yep, wattage wise it's more than enough.

what 500w unit though?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

be quiet! System Power U9, should fit well since I'm targeting a cheap midrange build (unless my judgment is wrong lmao)

2 minutes ago, lenardmgtr said:

Title, basically. Would a 500W PSU be enough for an overclocked 1660 super and overclocked Ryzen 5 3600? Of course, the ability to upgrade would be a bit compromised, but I figure by the time I'd want to upgrade I'd just build an entirely new rig and pass it down to my younger sister.

It's perfectly fine but I usually like going 50-100 watts over the recommended minimum, especially if i'm overclocking. And if you're passing it down to your sister you might want some head room so maybe a 600 watt unit with an 80+ Bronze rating from any of the reputable manufacturers  

10 hours ago, lenardmgtr said:

be quiet! System Power U9

afaik, it's a pretty low end unit, should handle this build but it's not really the best unit..

should fit well since I'm targeting a cheap midrange build

wait so you don't already have it?

10 hours ago, Som3a said:

80+ Bronze rating from any of the reputable manufacturers  

those mean litreally nothing in terms of quality and 500w is plenty of headroom.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, Som3a said:

It's perfectly fine but I usually like going 50-100 watts over the recommended minimum

The (cheap) Palit card I'm looking at is recommended at 450 watts according to the specsheet, so it should be fine per your advice

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

wait so you don't already have it?

Sadly no :^(( but I've been using low-end laptops my entire life and I figured nvidia wouldn't be releasing anything I can afford anytime soon

Sadly no :^((

Afaik it's a pretty low end unit but should power this build just fine..

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, lenardmgtr said:

be quiet! System Power U9, should fit well since I'm targeting a cheap midrange build (unless my judgment is wrong lmao)

It's a decent budget unit, and should be more than fine with just a 1660 Super. Just ignore the manufacturer's wattage recommendation. The 1660 Super is a 120W card iirc, so expect the entire system to draw about 200W from the PSU under a gaming load. Even if you're overclocking, you're more than fine.

Ignore any talk about hEaDrOoM, especially with low-mid range PSUs, as that money would be spent better elsewhere (either on other PC components, or on a higher end instead of higher wattage PSU). Also ignore the 80+ rating, as it says nothing about how good a PSU is, and especially ignore the brand, as all brands are equally capable of selling crap.

:)

Looks to be an CWT GPM unit with an updated DC-DC secondary. It would be fine for your system. If you haven't bought it already, providing a budget and e-tailers you can buy from can help others see if that's the best option you can get.

Just now, quan289 said:

Looks to be an CWT GPM unit with an updated DC-DC secondary. It would be fine for your system. If you haven't bought it already, providing a budget and e-tailers you can buy from can help others see if that's the best option you can get.

https://dynaquestpc.com/collections/power-supply

This is the selection I have. I live in the Philippines so I can't reliably provide budget as prices here are pretty different. But for reference, I'd maybe spend around P3,500 at max (the be quiet! U9 is at P2,800)

19 minutes ago, lenardmgtr said:

https://dynaquestpc.com/collections/power-supply

This is the selection I have. I live in the Philippines so I can't reliably provide budget as prices here are pretty different. But for reference, I'd maybe spend around P3,500 at max (the be quiet! U9 is at P2,800)

Yeah, I would go with that. It's more than plenty for your setup and should be very quite at your load range as well.