First Motorcycle

Wellingtonzed
Go to solution Solved by steelo,
7 hours ago, Wellingtonzed said:

Hi. so Im looking for an easy classic cruiser as a first motorcycle.

What are you thoughts on a Honda Shadow Phantom. https://www.autotrader.ca/a/honda/shadow 750/fort mcmurray/alberta/19_11574940_?ms=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=5_5_5&sprx=-2

Just asking for thoughts and opinions on the motorcycle itself. Thanks!

That was going to be my recommendation....A Honda Shadow would make for a great first bike, it has just enough power to keep one happy and will be reliable for years to come. You can cruise around town or on the highway comfortably on one. I started out on a 2001 (I think) 250cc Rebel. Even though it was bulletproof, I quickly grew tired of its power limitations.

What are you thoughts on a Honda Shadow Phantom. https://www.autotrader.ca/a/honda/shadow 750/fort mcmurray/alberta/19_11574940_?ms=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=5_5_5&sprx=-2

7 hours ago, Wellingtonzed said:

That was going to be my recommendation....A Honda Shadow would make for a great first bike, it has just enough power to keep one happy and will be reliable for years to come. You can cruise around town or on the highway comfortably on one. I started out on a 2001 (I think) 250cc Rebel. Even though it was bulletproof, I quickly grew tired of its power limitations.

Honda rebel? Maybe a bit cheaper than a shadow, same style tho. The new ones have a bit more vrooom in em than the old ones

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

13 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Honda rebel? Maybe a bit cheaper than a shadow, same style tho. The new ones have a bit more vrooom in em than the old ones

My current bike has the same engine (mostly) as the new Rebel 500. A good bit of juice for a first bike, but it's bulletproof. The peg location on the new Rebel doesn't work for me, but that's preference.

The Shadow 750 is legendary though, excellent bikes. A 2012 should be recent enough that it's both fuel-injected and shaft-driven, so very low maintenance and easy starting.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Right there with ya! I got myself a 1981 Suzuki GS250T. Needed a little TLC, which was taken care of by a good friend of mine. I haven't started riding it as my daily yet, but I should within the next few weeks. I would recommend wearing florescent and reflective gear. You may not look as cool as those other guys, but your body is one of the first things other drivers see. Also, don't be a squid, wear a lid. While not required in every state, it's a really dumbass idea not to wear one. It's like wearing a seat belt when driving a car - 'nuff said.

I personally will wear over pants and an over coat. I would recommend good rain gear because you will get caught in a nasty down poor - more than once. It's just inevitable. Never wear shorts while riding (i mean, you can. but trust me, it damn hurts). You will have stones hit your body - especially at speed. It does hurt on bear skin. So jeans and at least a leather jacket are a good go to. (Also, as cool as Linus looks in his socks/sandals, don't wear open toed shoes on a motorcycle. You will get hurt otherwise).

You may also want to think about a backpack, side saddles, rear bag, tank bag or anything along those lines. Some people just need a small backpack to put their stuff in. Personally, I do not recommend you keep anything in your pockets while riding. Stuff will fall out. Just a small backpack with an upper torso strap can do just nicely.

If you've never driven a manual car, you'll have an extra learning curve here too. I certainly can't help over the internet (being a beginner myself) so hopefully you have a friend or family member who can help with that.

Also a word of warning, most guys who ride Harley Davidson bikes tend to be HUGE pretentious assholes. Don't be surprised if some of them literally shit talk you about your bike. Some will even spit at you (has happened to my friend. Guy literally followed him to his destination to do it). That said not all of them are like that. A guy that I was a firefighter with rides a Harley, and he's actually really cool.

In the end, it's not what you ride - it's why. I started riding to save on fuel. While I love my trucks more than anything, 20mpg highway is pretty bad - especially when I rarely drive on the highway.

Remember the wave too! Two fingers (your left index and middle) making a sort of "peace" sign pointed at an angle favoring the ground, but not a full 90 degree angle. This basically means "keep two wheels down" it's a way of saying ride safe. Most bikers will oblige the wave. Some won't. It's not a huge deal - think of it like the Jeep wave for motorcycles.

Oh and another thing, if you ever see a biker on the side of the road - watch for a thumbs up or down. Thumbs down, pull over because he/she needs help. Thumbs up they're okay.

I've only touched on a few things. There's tons more to learn/know - but that's mostly safety and state riding laws. Also ensure you sit down with your bike in safe area (like an empty parking lot) and get used to it. The feelings, noises, and how it handles/controls. Every bike is different and requires it's own finesse to control. So good luck and safe travels!

I know you just wanted advice on the bike but I couldn't help myself. I get excited about this stuff now ;_;

It looks like you're wanting a cruiser but if, by chance you're looking for a sportier bike in the future, a used cbr 500 is a good intro into motorcycling. Always buy used as your first bike...you'll thank me later

4 minutes ago, steelo said:

Always buy used as your first bike...you'll thank me later

I think this is a good idea if you're handy with tools, but motorcycle repair is expensive and the shops are sometimes few and far between. It's good motivation to learn how to wrench.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

7 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I think this is a good idea if you're handy with tools, but motorcycle repair is expensive and the shops are sometimes few and far between. It's good motivation to learn how to wrench.

If you find a shadow in good shape and relatively low miles, chances are all you'll need to do is change the oil. Hondas are SOLID bikes. I've owned a rebel 250, a rebel 450, a cbr 250 and never had any problems. I now have an Indian scout 60 and its a 999cc beast 😁