Good cheap UPS?

Rlmva

I'm looking to get a cheap UPS at $80 and under range, but I'm not sure what one to get. Any suggestions?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It's generally not a good idea to cheap out on anything that is related to power delivery. You wouldn't feel comfortable if your contractor cheaped out on your house wiring would you? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 hours ago, Rlmva said:

I'm looking to get a cheap UPS at $80 and under range, but I'm not sure what one to get. Any suggestions?

1) Why are you getting an UPS? The use case matters a lot. Asking for a UPS without saying what it will be used for is like asking "I want a CPU. Which one do I get?". Do you want it just for filtering dirty power? Do you want it to prevent data loss in the case of a power outage? Do you want to keep your computer(s) running during a power outage? If so, how long do you need them to stay online?

2) What are you going to plug into it?

For example, that UPS SansVarnic linked that's called "APC UPS, 850VA, BE850G2" is pretty good, but if you plug in a pretty standard computer that draws 300 watts, plus a monitor and some other stuff then we're looking at around 8 minutes of power during a power loss. So I'd say that's enough for one computer if you only want it to have time to shut the PC off to prevent data loss.

Also, it can only handle 450 watts of power, so not much more than a regular computer and maybe a monitor.

The larger unit SansVarnic posted bumps that up to 11.5 minutes which is better and might even allow you to plug in more computers and safely turn them off (assuming they don't surpass 600 watts in total).

23 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I used to exclusively recommend APC, but honestly in my experience they've gone down hill.

We've had multiple APC UPS's go defective in one way or another (usually battery failure, sometimes control unit failure). I even had one catch fire once.

We've been leaning towards Eaton since then.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I used to exclusively recommend APC, but honestly in my experience they've gone down hill.

We've had multiple APC UPS's go defective in one way or another (usually battery failure, sometimes control unit failure). I even had one catch fire once.

Interesting, I will have to look into them. 👍

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I've had several different brands: CyberPower, APC, Tripp Lite, and they all failed in a minimal amount of time (IMO anyway). But, the ones that were more expensive tended to last longer. Tripp Lite has done marginally better per $ than the others, if I had to make a recommendation.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

22 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I actually got an old 850w one for free today because the previous owner thought it was broken, it actually needs new battery’s because they haven’t been changed since they were made (8 years ago)

8 minutes ago, Rlmva said:

I actually got an old 850w one for free today because the previous owner thought it was broken, it actually needs new battery’s because they haven’t been changed since they were made (8 years ago)

Nice! That's actually a really common way to get a very good quality UPS for fairly cheap. My current UPS I got for free as well - though it had no battery at all, and I recently bought a new battery for it. It is an APC unit, a Backups RS 1300 I think? It's one of the older units though, which I personally associate with better quality.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Nice! That's actually a really common way to get a very good quality UPS for fairly cheap. My current UPS I got for free as well - though it had no battery at all, and I recently bought a new battery for it. It is an APC unit, a Backups RS 1300 I think? It's one of the older units though, which I personally associate with better quality.

Yeah, just $80 for new official cyber power batteries