How difficult to install accelero xtreme iv

evilmark443

Yesterday I upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2080 Super, and because I got a blower model it is LOUD (had never used one before so didn't know the difference until now). Temperatures are surprisingly fine based on complaints I've seen, the highest I've had is 70 degrees, the fan just sounds like a leaf blower lol. I just reserved the last accelero xtreme iv from the local Micro Center and I was wondering how difficult it is to install, and can it be installed without the backplate? I would have prefered the xtreme iii because the backplate on the iv is going to hang over top of my m.2 slot, but unfortunately they didn't have that model.

My specific graphics card is the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Turbo.

Why not return the card and get a card that already has a good cooler? The main issue with the accelero coolers is vrm cooling and such as they go for a universal route which results in poor vrm cooling and those tiny heatsinks that you do get with it tend to like to fall off.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why not return the card and get a card that already has a good cooler?

Most other cards seem to be out of stock atm.

I don't think that leaving out the backplate is a good option. Afaik the Accelero heavily relies on the backplate to cool the memory and VRM.

As for the installation: It's not that hard to replace the cooler of a GPU, just follow the manual step by step and you can't really do anything horribly wrong as long as you don't throw your GPU against a wall.

I did a cooler switch on my 1080Ti aswell. I used the Raijintek Morpheus, which is a little more subtle than the Arctic one. I didn't have problems with the tiny heatsinks falling off because i followed the manual and cleaned the VRMs and memory modules before mounting them with the included thermal pads. I'm really happy with the temp/noise results.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I don't think that leaving out the backplate is a good option. Afaik the Accelero heavily relies on the backplate to cool the memory and VRM.

Yeah, after looking at pictures of the iii and iv a little closer it looks like the iv doesn't have the little heatsinks at all, that cooling seems to all be done through the backplate heatsink. Oh well, worst case scenario I'll have to take the card out for a second if I ever decide to install a NVMe drive.

29 minutes ago, evilmark443 said:

Yeah, after looking at pictures of the iii and iv a little closer it looks like the iv doesn't have the little heatsinks at all, that cooling seems to all be done through the backplate heatsink. Oh well, worst case scenario I'll have to take the card out for a second if I ever decide to install a NVMe drive.

It's why I do not recommend you use it as this can and will cause temp and longevity issues with the card. You could also just wait a week for the 3000 series and see what happens with prices and used market then.

4 hours ago, evilmark443 said:

Yesterday I upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2080 Super, and because I got a blower model it is LOUD (had never used one before so didn't know the difference until now). Temperatures are surprisingly fine based on complaints I've seen, the highest I've had is 70 degrees, the fan just sounds like a leaf blower lol. I just reserved the last accelero xtreme iv from the local Micro Center and I was wondering how difficult it is to install, and can it be installed without the backplate? I would have prefered the xtreme iii because the backplate on the iv is going to hang over top of my m.2 slot, but unfortunately they didn't have that model.

My specific graphics card is the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Turbo.

The accelero isn't too difficult to install.  Make sure to get some good thermal paste.  Get some thinner, better heatpads than the ones that come with the accelero.

Use the backplate and get some little heatsinks for the VRAM.  You'll need some regular VRAM heatsinks and a few tiny ones.  The accelero will probably get in the way of using full heatsinks on all the VRAM.   The backplate is worth it.  It pulls out a lot of heat.  You can get a PCIe extender and riser to mount it vertically.  It'll be huge and ugly, but worth it if you want good performance.