i7-4790 (non k) still valid? upgrade advice

Go to solution Solved by rob_097,

Thanks a lot you guys!

I think I will Wait a bit and first of all see what happens to prices when the new nvidia cards get released. Maybe I can get a good deal somewhere!

Plus I'll probably do the same for the cpu and see and wait for the new generation later this year since I dont need a new System right away!

Hey guys,

I've got a question I hope you can help me with. First of all my pc specs:

ASUS H81-Gamer MB

Intel i7-4790 (non k)

16gb DDR3 Memory

Gainward Phantom GTX 970

I'm currently looking into upgrading and am not sure where to start to be honest. Since my pc is quite a bit older by now i wanted to make it a bit more future proof. Im looking forwards to games like Cyberpunk and VR gaming. I've got an Oculus Quest which works fine standalone. But I would also like to use it as a pc vr headset. Problem ist that my pc starts chugging even on the smallest most lightweight pc vr games like VRChat...

The usual advice i ge everywhere is to upgarde the GPU first since its the easiest. But people kept pointing out to me, that my cpu is too weak to even handle a 980ti, referring to this website.

So accoring to those guys I need to upgrade my cpu and gpu. But that basically means to get and completely new pc since ill need a new mb and memory as well...

(I do have a big case and 650Watt power supply which should be fine for any new system)

What do you guys think ?

I appreciate any kind of advice or help!

Thanks in advance,

Robert

5 minutes ago, rob_097 said:

Hey guys,

ASUS H81-Gamer MB

Intel i7-4790 (non k)

16gb DDR3 Memory

Gainward Phantom GTX 970

I'm currently looking into upgrading and am not sure where to start to be honest. Since my pc is quite a bit older by now i wanted to make it a bit more future proof. Im looking forwards to games like Cyberpunk and VR gaming. I've got an Oculus Quest which works fine standalone. But I would also like to use it as a pc vr headset. Problem ist that my pc starts chugging even on the smallest most lightweight pc vr games like VRChat...

The usual advice i ge everywhere is to upgarde the GPU first since its the easiest. But people kept pointing out to me, that my cpu is too weak to even handle a 980ti, referring to this website.

So accoring to those guys I need to upgrade my cpu and gpu. But that basically means to get and completely new pc since ill need a new mb and memory as well...

(I do have a big case and 650Watt power supply which should be fine for any new system)

What do you guys think ?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

My suggestion is to start from scratch. New board, new CPU, new graphics card, new RAM.

I'm almost in an identical situation, except I have a Haswell Xeon that's roughly equivalent to your 4790, 32 GB of DDR3, and a GTX 980. I've been eyeing a 9900k and a 2080TI. Also considering a Ryzen 3900x or similar.

I think you should set a budget, and build a system for the budget.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Depends on the games you play. I have a 4460 that's basically a downclocked 4790 with no HT and I struggle in some triple-A titles such as Odyssey (40ish to 60ish fps), while in some other games the CPU does just fine and it's not bottlenecking the system. The CPU itself is valid, but from your situation it's just better to buy an entirely new system, if you feel the need to, that is.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

Just now, Sarra said:

My suggestion is to start from scratch. New board, new CPU, new graphics card, new RAM.

I'm almost in an identical situation, except I have a Haswell Xeon that's roughly equivalent to your 4790, 32 GB of DDR3, and a GTX 980. I've been eyeing a 9900k and a 2080TI. Also considering a Ryzen 3900x or similar.

I think you should set a budget, and build a system for the budget.

Thanks for the quick response!

Sounds smart! But i think I'll at least wait until the next gen of nvidia gpus comes out in hope for the old gen to drop in price a bit... maybe

I was hoping that I could reuse at least some of the parts but I guess a completely new system is kind of inevitable.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Just now, Parideboy said:

Depends on the games you play. I have a 4460 that's basically a downclocked 4790 with no HT and I struggle in some triple-A titles such as Odyssey (40ish to 60ish fps),
while in some other games the CPU does just fine and it's not bottlenecking the system. The CPU itself is valid, but from your situation it's just better to buy an entirely new system, if you feel the need to, that is.

Well im experiencing the same basically! I can play pretty much every single recent game there is with no problems mostly (but often not on highest settings of course). Where my pc immediately chugs is VR titles... I also dont get why. The quest runs VRChat (yes its tuned down) just fine but my PC cant handle it? just feels weird if that makes sense

20 minutes ago, rob_097 said:

Hey guys,

ASUS H81-Gamer MB

Intel i7-4790 (non k)

16gb DDR3 Memory

Gainward Phantom GTX 970

What do you guys think ?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

I don't really know about VR and how resource intensive it might be but you could start off by researching how far upgrading to a 4790k with an overclock could get you. It could be a lot of work though, because it might need de-lidding because of the terrible thermal material they used between the die and the heat spreader.

The graphics card definitely needs upgrading. 970's were great value at the time but they're stuttery. New graphics cards are about to be revealed at the end of this month so wait and see how the new releases affect pricing etc. ...the 970 is about to get even older and even though it was great value at the time it was less expensive for a reason (memory issues and stuttery performance).

But yeah, if you have more time than money upgrading to a 4790k and overclocking it might stretch some more life out of your rig but do some research on whether it'll be powerful enough for your needs before going that route. 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I love my 980, I may have won the silicon lottery with it (OCed, it hits power limits, but never gets over 75c, I usually drop the OC back to keep it at 70c), but I know that it isn't powerful enough for modern games.

You COULD use the 970 for a temporary card, but it's going to bottleneck your system. I'd at least keep it as a backup card, in any event.

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

I don't really know about VR and how resource intensive it might be but you could start off my researching how far upgrading to a 4790k with an overclock could get you. It could be a lot of work though, because it might need de-lidding because of the terrible thermal material they used between the die and the heat spreader.

The graphics card definitely needs upgrading. 970's were great value at the time but they're stuttery. New graphics cards are about to be revealed at the end of this month so wait and see how the new releases affect pricing etc. ...the 970 is about to get even older and even though it was great value at the time it was less expensive for a reason (memory issues and stuttery performance).

But yeah, if you have more time than money upgrading to a 4790k and overclocking it might stretch some more life out of your rig but do some research on whether it'll be powerful enough for your needs before going that route. 

The cost of a 4790k is stupid. Used, they're around $300. I got lucky and scored a used server pull Xeon for $100, but it's not smart to drop $300 on a CPU you probably won't use for more than a year; plus, his board does not support OCing.

Just now, Sarra said:

plus, his board does not support OCing.

Oh okay, then maybe better to start from scratch?

That much for a CPU plus a new motherboard that you can OC with is a lot to invest in an old system.

I try and stretch my hardware as far as it'll go because the longer it lasts the better value I get when I finally have to upgrade (moore's law etc.) but if you want VR right away I guess a new build would probably be the way to go.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Quad core cpu:s are getting worse and worse on games, and soon almost all games are made for 8 core 16 thread zen2 cpu:s clocked to 3.8GHz. Maybe buy a new gpu first and see if it helps, if not get a new 8-core cpu(zen2 or zen3), motherboard and at least 2x8GB of ram.

You definitely need a new gpu and most likely a cpu upgrade. Cyberpunk minimum spec has an i5-4670k which isn't far off from 4790k. If you are trying to buy used I'd checkout ebay after the rtx 3000 series reveal  in a week. Some 980ti's went for under half price when the 10 series cards were announced. Ryzen 4000 series is reportedly coming out october/novemberish i think.  I don't expect massive improvements on the cpu side, but it's something to keep in mind. 

Thanks a lot you guys!

I think I will Wait a bit and first of all see what happens to prices when the new nvidia cards get released. Maybe I can get a good deal somewhere!

Plus I'll probably do the same for the cpu and see and wait for the new generation later this year since I dont need a new System right away!

Probably best to do a full rebuild. My 4670K @4.2GHz has been fine for me but then I haven't thrown anything harder at it than GTA V and F1 2018. I had it paired with a GTX970 which just got to around 60fps (at 1920x1200) even on those games, so for anything newer it would require a new CPU and GPU - and since my Haswell board is DDR3 then that's also new memory, so basically a complete rebuild. Put it this way, Red Dead Redemption 2 is out of the question on those specs.

Realistically you want at least 8 threads minimum so a Ryzen 5 or 10th Gen Core i5 would be the obvious starting point for some decent longevity (both being 6 core/12 thread).

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

On 8/25/2020 at 11:22 AM, thewelshbrummie said:

Probably best to do a full rebuild. My 4670K @4.2GHz has been fine for me but then I haven't thrown anything harder at it than GTA V and F1 2018. I had it paired with a GTX970 which just got to around 60fps (at 1920x1200) even on those games, so for anything newer it would require a new CPU and GPU - and since my Haswell board is DDR3 then that's also new memory, so basically a complete rebuild. Put it this way, Red Dead Redemption 2 is out of the question on those specs.

Realistically you want at least 8 threads minimum so a Ryzen 5 or 10th Gen Core i5 would be the obvious starting point for some decent longevity (both being 6 core/12 thread).

Thanks for your comment!

Yea I won't get around a full rebuild. I was hoping I would but you guys are right. I mean my system did serve me very well for 6 years. Most people upgrade earlier than that I think!