What is the best VR headset to get?

xearow

Hey guys, this is probably a common question on here, but after doing a lot of searching I still have inconclusive results on which vr headset is the best.

I do not really care about price (Kinda expecting the whole thing to be in the $1k range) so my main limiting factors are power plugs (though obviously i can get power strips), space ( about 9ft x 7ft), and my graphics card i suppose (1070).

Also to note, my dad has an oculus quest and when I used that for like 20 minutes my eyes started to hurt so if that is something that is avoidable I would love to know which headsets don't cause that (or cause that the least).

By far the best VR headset for consumers is the Valve Index.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think there are clear winners.  It all depends on your priorities (plus, things are constantly changing).  

For motion tracking, having cool controllers, and display refresh rate, Valve Index is the current front runner.  

I believe HTC has a higher resolution display, plus they have the wireless attachment, which is a huge selling point for many.  

I'm sure the Oculus wins something as well.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 minutes ago, Rybo said:

I'm sure the Oculus wins something as well. 

they lost a lot of points when they made FB account linking mandatory a few days ago

sad that other VR headsets cost so much

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, xearow said:

Kinda expecting the whole thing to be in the $1k range

Oculus Rift S is only $400, while the Valve Index is $1000.

The valve Index is the highest resolution headset with the best tracking quality and accessories, but the Rift S is far from a bad headset, and generally if you're not going for the ultra premium experience I recommend it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

By far the best VR headset for consumers is the Valve Index.

it looks like as though they are short on base stations (8+ weeks to ship), are those required to set up the "walking area"?

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

The valve Index is the highest resolution headset 

The VIVE Cosmos Elite™ has a slightly higher resolution -- 2880 x 1700 vs 2880 x 1600 on the Index.  The Index still has a better FOV at 130 degrees vs. pretty much everyone else's 110.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Just now, xearow said:

it looks like as though they are short on base stations (8+ weeks to ship), are those required to set up the "walking area"?

They're required for everything.  The system cannot work without them.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Just now, xearow said:

Base stations are required for any operation so they are essential.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Rybo said:

They're required for everything.  The system cannot work without them.  

Oh wow, so kinda dead in the water till they come up with more of those then.

1 minute ago, xearow said:

Oh wow, so kinda dead in the water till they come up with more of those then.

Yeah.  Though you should be able to buy second hand base stations.  I think any IR blasting base stations will work, though you'll obviously want to do some research on that!

Also: if they're only short on base stations, they're improving.  When I got mine, the whole system was back ordered 8 weeks.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Yeah.  Though you should be able to buy second hand base stations.  I think any IR blasting base stations will work, though you'll obviously want to do some research on that!

Also: if they're only short on base stations, they're improving.  When I got mine, the whole system was back ordered 8 weeks.  

Yeah, it says 8+ weeks so...if i were to get the base stations from VIVE, would that affect how well the index does tracking?

Just now, xearow said:

Yeah, it says 8+ weeks so...if i were to get the base stations from VIVE, would that affect how well the index does tracking?

Probably.  I'm getting my info from an old video Linus did on the topic, so I might be misremembering.  I think he had some VIVE base stations in his home and he said they'd work, but not as well.  The Index base stations are an improvement over the VIVE's.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

1 minute ago, Rybo said:

Probably.  I'm getting my info from an old video Linus did on the topic, so I might be misremembering.  I think he had some VIVE base stations in his home and he said they'd work, but not as well.  The Index base stations are an improvement over the VIVE's.  

Gochya, kinda sucks to have to slap down $1k for something you won't have for 2 months AT LEAST though.

Just now, xearow said:

Gochya, kinda sucks to have to slap down $1k for something you won't have for 2 months AT LEAST though.

They didn't charge me until they shipped the unit.  Unless they've changed things, all you have to do is place the order to get in line.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Currently , not an Oculus. steer clear for the time being due to the forced facebook integration and data gathering.

one of the Vive units would be a good choice, or u can take a shot at the StarVR.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

26 minutes ago, xearow said:

My setup is the Index with Vive base stations. So far after 7 months, no complaints from me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, xearow said:

3 hours ago, Rybo said:

The Index is compatible with the old light houses. Vive light houses can track Index gear, but Index lighthouses work a little differently and cannot track Vive gear. Directly from Steam:

Base Station compatibility?

• 1.0 (HTC-branded) and 2.0 (Valve-branded) Base Stations will not work with each other in the same VR setup.
  • Index will work with both 1.0 and 2.0 Base Stations.
  • 2.0 Base Stations will not work with the original Vive headset or Wand controllers, but will work with the Vive Pro product family.

Unless you can get them for dirt cheap I would just wait for the Valve 2.0 light houses though.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I bought a Quest and I am absolutely loving it, both in stand alone mode as well as tethered using the Oculus Link software.  I get that people are ticked at needing a facebook account, but then again, it isn't like we haven't all had to create accounts to use some software or another.  Don't want to use your real facebook account or don't have one? Create something generic and just use it.  Perhaps I am more fatalistic, but I always assume that everyone is tracking everything their users so online and monetizing it, so the furor over Facebook makes me go meah.

You may want to check out the HP Reverb G2 that's supposed to be released this fall. It's been developed with the help of Valve and has similar lenses and off-ear headphones to the Index, both of which are supposed to be great. At the same time it has a really good resolution at 2160 x 2160, decent refresh rate and FOV. 

It does use inside out tracking so it won't be as precise as the lighthouse based headsets, but apparently the tracking does work very well and it saves a lot of upfront cost and setup time.

It can also be entirely powered through the computer if you have a USB-C port capable of supplying enough power.

I haven't tested the headset personally so I'd advise you to do your own research on the headset if it sounds interesting.