Samsung Odyssey G7 and GTX 1080 Ti

Referi Jerator

Hi.

I'm interested in purchasing the new Samsung Odyssey G7. My GPU is the ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC. I have read that the Odyssey lineup makes its specs possible by featuring DSC (Display Stream Compression) which is only supported by the latest AMD and Nvidia cards (RTX cards), and that the 1080 Ti lineup lacks the module completely and is therefore unable to use it even with the available firmware update. In light of this, will I be unable to fully use the monitor's specs with my 1080 Ti? If possible, please let me know what I will and will not be able to do with my 1080 Ti should I purchase the G7 monitor.

Thank you for your time.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Thank you for showing me that thread, it has answered my questions regarding the G7. I have read that the Aorus FI27Q-P also has 10-bit color, albeit at a notably lower refresh rate (165Hz). Does that monitor also utilize DSC or will I be able to use it fully with my 1080 Ti? Thank you.

12 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Wow that's a nice monitor. I just watched Linus' vid on it.

What panel type is it? (TN, IPS)?

It's a VA panel.

2 hours ago, Grihm said:

Take note of this thread as well as the issues with the monitor are quite bad.

I've lost interest in the G7. I am now looking into the Aorus FI27Q-P instead. Does it also use DSC to achieve its stats or will the 1080 Ti be able to use it at its fullest immediately?

That i don´t know. Am still figuring out all too many issues with my own list, but i´m sure the more qualified members for such questions in here will assist.

5 hours ago, Referi Jerator said:

It's a VA panel.

I've lost interest in the G7. I am now looking into the Aorus FI27Q-P instead. Does it also use DSC to achieve its stats or will the 1080 Ti be able to use it at its fullest immediately?

5 hours ago, Grihm said:

That i don´t know. Am still figuring out all too many issues with my own list, but i´m sure the more qualified members for such questions in here will assist.

I would recommend to look at the LG 27GL850 aswell. It's an overall much better monitor. Also have a look at the newer model 27GN850, which is basically the same monitor without a USB hub and a different looking stand. These 2 LG monitors are as good as it gets for 1440p 144Hz monitors.

FYI, the difference between 144Hz and 165Hz is not noticeable at all. I barely noticed the difference from my current 120Hz VA panel to 240Hz when i was trying out the Odyssey G7 before sending it back. 165Hz is a nice bonus, but i wouldn't pay more for it because you don't get much more.

Also, here' is a detailed review if you're interested:

Idk where you are from, but in europe you can currently get the 27GN850 for 350€ on amazon.fr. That's an absolute steal, as the 27GL850 was 550€ only a few months ago.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I would recommend to look at the LG 27GL850 aswell. It's an overall much better monitor. Also have a look at the newer model 27GN850, which is basically the same monitor without a USB hub and a different looking stand. These 2 LG monitors are as good as it gets for 1440p 144Hz monitors.

FYI, the difference between 144Hz and 165Hz is not noticeable at all. I barely noticed the difference from my current 120Hz VA panel to 240Hz when i was trying out the Odyssey G7 before sending it back. 165Hz is a nice bonus, but i wouldn't pay more for it because you don't get much more.

Also, here' is a detailed review if you're interested:

Idk where you are from, but in europe you can currently get the 27GN850 for 350€ on amazon.fr. That's an absolute steal, as the 27GL850 was 550€ only a few months ago.

Thank you for taking the time to recommend the LG. I had already been looking into it and I've already watched that review, however I found out that it has atrocious out-of-the-box color calibration and I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend an extra €200 to get a calibration tool just for that. On the other hand, the Aorus isn't much better in that department either. The LG's uncommonly low contrast ratio even for IPS standards is also a considerable minus since any dark content will look washed out.

All things considered, I am now looking at older monitors, such as the ASUS PG279Q, which may not have a 10-bit panel like the three monitors mentioned on this thread so far, but has a much better factory calibration and has native G-sync which will work flawlessly with a 1080 Ti. Having read mixed comments about the "G-sync compatible" thing new monitors like to advertise, it seems it's unreliable and not as effective as native support. Overall, unless LG fixes their factory calibration, I think perhaps waiting to see what new products will come out is the ideal approach.

59 minutes ago, Referi Jerator said:

Thank you for taking the time to recommend the LG. I had already been looking into it and I've already watched that review, however I found out that it has atrocious out-of-the-box color calibration and I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend an extra €200 to get a calibration tool just for that. On the other hand, the Aorus isn't much better in that department either. The LG's uncommonly low contrast ratio even for IPS standards is also a considerable minus since any dark content will look washed out.

All things considered, I am now looking at older monitors, such as the ASUS PG279Q, which may not have a 10-bit panel like the three monitors mentioned on this thread so far, but has a much better factory calibration and has native G-sync which will work flawlessly with a 1080 Ti. Having read mixed comments about the "G-sync compatible" thing new monitors like to advertise, it seems it's unreliable and not as effective as native support. Overall, unless LG fixes their factory calibration, I think perhaps waiting to see what new products will come out is the ideal approach.

The 200$ to buy a calibration device such as a i1DisplayPro is definetly worth it imo because you can use it to calibrate all your future monitors aswell. Also you won't have to worry about bad factory calibration as much in the future and you can focus more on panel performance, etc... Many people don't know how easy it is to calibrate a monitor using a measuring device like the i1DisplayPro. Literally just plugging in the device, starting the DisplayCal Software and 3 mouse klicks later the calibration is already going. The only thing you have to do is adjust the whitepoint in the monitor OSD according to what DisplayCal says. The rest os completely automatic.

Honestly, most IPS monitors have a contrast ration of around 1000:1, so ~700:1 is not much worse. All IPS monitors lack good contrast compared to VA, OLED, etc... This is only a minor drawback to the overall great monitor. Definetly not something that should push you away from considering the option.

The 27GL850-B has no issues with G-Sync that i know of. I have several friends who already use it with different gens of NVIDIA GPUs. (1070, 2070 Super, etc). My 27GN850-B will arrive tomorrow and i don't expect any issues running it with my 1080Ti.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.