Choosing an ebook

Im f 1

Hi, I've just started looking for an ebook and have some questions. As I understand, Amazon's Kindle brand is a way to go in terms of value. However, I have some concerns: first of all, is it possible to download random .txt/.fb2/.pdf files from a PC to the device, or am I bound to the integrated book store? Are there any significant experience differences between recent models and, say, 2015-2016 ones?

I'm looking for a device in a <125$ range and currently considering Kindle PaperWhite 2015 with ads, but have some doubts. My priorities are(in descending order) 0) not bad display and convenient interface 1) good battery life and responsiveness 2) audio support and 3) water resistance. If anyone happens to have experience with Amazaon ebooks, please share! And if you have any other suggestions, will definitely check them out

4 minutes ago, Im f 1 said:

Hi, I've just started looking for an ebook and have some questions. As I understand, Amazon's Kindle brand is a way to go in terms of value. However, I have some concerns: first of all, is it possible to download random .txt/.fb2/.pdf files from a PC to the device, or am I bound to the integrated book store? Second, is there an easy and non-destructive way(that does not involve spending more money) to remove ads from the "special offer" version? Are there any significant experience differences between recent models and, say, 2015-2016 ones?

I'm looking for a device in a <125$ range and currently considering Kindle PaperWhite 2015 with ads, but have some doubts. My priorities are(in descending order) 0) not bad display and convenient interface 1) good battery life and responsiveness 2) audio support and 3) water resistance. If anyone happens to have experience with Amazaon ebooks, please share! And if you have any other suggestions, will definitely check them out

There is a tool called calibre. https://calibre-ebook.com/ you can put basically any file onto it.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Most ebook readers will read pdf and text files no problem. Kindle and other brands use a propriety file format for their ebooks but you can download Calibre to convert file formats and manage your ebook library.

As a long time kindle user I have recently changed over to the Kobo Clara. Reason being is the ability to change to color temperature of the backlight. Reading with a warm backlight in the evening is such a pleasure compared to the cold backlight of the kindle. Can't recommend it strongly enough but it does not have audio support.

16 minutes ago, Im f 1 said:

is it possible to download random .txt/.fb2/.pdf files from a PC to the device

Every Kindle has an @kindle.com email address that will allow you to send most text-based file formats. There is software such as Calibre that can be used to convert files to the appropriate format for Kindle.

Second, is there an easy and non-destructive way(that does not involve spending more money) to remove ads from the "special offer" version? Are there any significant experience differences between recent models and, say, 2015-2016 ones?

Amazon will let you pay to remove special offers. See https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GJHYWUURJ5A6YMBU.

not bad display and convenient interface 1) good battery life and responsiveness 2) audio support and 3) water resistance.

I own a Kindle Paperwhite 2015. it does not have audio support or water resistance. You'll need to purchase a 10th gen (2018) or an Oasis for Bluetooth audio support and water resistance. There has not been a headphone jack on Kindles since the 3rd generation Kindle.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

8 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

There is a tool called calibre. https://calibre-ebook.com/ you can put basically any file onto it.

Thanks, this seems handy

2 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

I own a Kindle Paperwhite 2015. it does not have audio support or water resistance. You'll need to purchase a 10th gen (2019) or an Oasis for Bluetooth audio support and water resistance. There has not been a headphone jack on Kindles since the 3rd generation Kindle.

And how is your battery life so far? Is the battery removable?

3 minutes ago, Im f 1 said:

And how is your battery life so far? Is the battery removable?

Battery is not intended to be replaced, it can be done without destruction. It lasts about two weeks with 1-2 hours of daily usage on medium brightness.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

9 minutes ago, Anywher said:

As a long time kindle user I have recently changed over to the Kobo Clara. Reason being is the ability to change to color temperature of the backlight. Reading with a warm backlight in the evening is such a pleasure compared to the cold backlight of the kindle. Can't recommend it strongly enough but it does not have audio support.

Kobo Clara is a bit pricy in my region :(. Which Kindles did you use?

9 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

There has not been a headphone jack on Kindles since the 3rd generation Kindle.

Ahh memories.. I loved my oddball kindle with the keyboard and headphone jack. 😄

1 minute ago, PorkishPig said:

Battery is not intended to be replaced, it can be done without destruction. It lasts about two weeks with 1-2 hours of daily usage on medium brightness.

And it didn't die in 5 years? Sounds good

Just now, Im f 1 said:

And it didn't die in 5 years? Sounds good

Nope, I have a 1st and 3rd gen Kindle still going strong. These suckers don't die.

Desktop

Homelab

1 minute ago, Im f 1 said:

Kobo Clara is a bit pricy in my region :(. Which Kindles did you use?

Ah sorry to hear that, yeah it is priced roughly as the kindle paperwhite which is the more expensive model.

I've only had the basic model kindles. 3rd, 4th and 7th gen models. All being the basic cheapest model and all were great.  The basic kindle is a great first ebook reader.

4 minutes ago, Anywher said:

I've only had the basic model kindles. 3rd, 4th and 7th gen models. All being the basic cheapest model and all were great.  The basic kindle is a great first ebook reader.

I think, I'll get basic kindle 8 or 9, thanks)

4 minutes ago, Anywher said:

Ahh memories.. I loved my oddball kindle with the keyboard and headphone jack. 😄

I love my 3rd gen, which I paired with one of those OG Amazon covers with a pull out light. I used to load up music and a few audio books on it. It's an awful experience now, but I loved it at the time.

Desktop

Homelab