Samsung NOT allowing Third Party Chargers for S20 Ultra

Nikesta

Hi Guys, I recently Upgraded from a S6 Edge Plus to the S20 Ultra, a Phone I am enjoying quite a Bit.

The S20 Ultra allows upto 45w Charging through PPS, without it you can only do 25w through the Official Charger in the Packaging with the phone.

Yes Samsung Does sell 45w Chargers for $49/£39 but I was using the Arcanite 30w charger with PPS which worked perfectly fine for the Longest time. However I recently noticed extended Charging times with the 3rd Party Arcanite Charger. Luckily I do Have equipment to test this out.

I used a USB C Multimeter to measure the wattage through the Official 25w Charger and everything works fine. Moving on to the 3rd Party Arcanite 30w Charger I noticed the Phone doesn't accept any 3rd Party Chargers.

First the Arcanite Charger will ramp up the speed of Charging, once it hits 30w it will then ramp back down to zero, it'll wait a while then repeat.

This didn't happen when I had the Phone when I bought it. Clearly Samsung has pushed out an Update to disallow 3rd Party Chargers.

I Tested this with my Brother in Laws New Note 20 Ultra... Same Story.

I am very disappointed in samsung. I'm considering returning my phone. I was hoping that Maybe LMG Can look into this and I feel this could be a Bigger story.

Thank you

(Ps, I'd love to hear back from other s20 Ultra owners)

In my opinion, unless the charger price is way overpriced, just buy the Charger they sell. ITs Generally a safety issue because quite a lot of people are quite stupid, they buy expensive phones and then buy cheap shit chargers and that can seriously damage the device.

Also why the hell did your brother buy a Note 20 Ultra? Its not a good phone for 1300$ o.o

You spent money on an expensive phone, Buy the proper charger for it

Have you tried a different charger or USB C cable?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Are you sure the third party charger outputs a voltage that your phone can accept? It might not be a matter of rejecting a "non official" charger

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yup. It used to work. After I saw it was working I bought a second Arcanite charger.

They definitely blocked 3rd Party Chargers.

The Charger Supports PPS. 

8 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

In my opinion, unless the charger price is way overpriced, just buy the Charger they sell. ITs Generally a safety issue because quite a lot of people are quite stupid, they buy expensive phones and then buy cheap shit chargers and that can seriously damage the device.

Also why the hell did your brother buy a Note 20 Ultra? Its not a good phone for 1300$ o.o

You spent money on an expensive phone, Buy the proper charger 

the S20 Ultra uses PPS To Fast Charge. The Charger I got was A great charger for only £12.

Blocking 3rd Party cos People buy cheap shit is not an excuse.

1 minute ago, Nikesta said:

the S20 Ultra uses PPS To Fast Charge. The Charger I got was A great charger for only £12.

Its a safety measure built into USB C, if it detects the voltage or other of the checks fail, it wont output the full voltage. Check your cables as well, that could also be the issue.

It is an excuse when you dont want to cover battery replacements due to negligence of the user, and instead have safeguards in place. Generally as long as you use a proper charger that works its fine. Cheap shit chargers and cables dont do this thus are a waste of money to buy. 

I have 100w capable USB C to C cables. Same results on all cables. As I said.. it used to work perfectly fine without issues. voltages are fine and Amps too.

Just samsung being a Holes.

People will always buy cheap Chargers thats fact. But while the Arcanite Charger is cheap it did Support PPS and worked perfectly fine. This is just Corporate greed.

Read this: https://www.androidcentral.com/best-45w-charger-galaxy-s20-ultra

Like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra can charge at 45W under very specific conditions including PPS, PDO, 10V/4.5A speed, and more. Because these specific conditions haven't been used on many phones so far, few third-party chargers reliably charge the S20 Ultra at 45W right now.

You charger must strictly follow the proper handshake protocol to work and most chargers don't do that today.  But Samsung do not block third party chargers. 

9 hours ago, Nikesta said:

I Tested this with my Brother in Laws New Note 20 Ultra... Same Story.

The new note 20 ultra doesn't support charging over 25W.

9 hours ago, Nikesta said:

Is because that’s how fires start. Remember when iPhones were catching fire so Apple just implemented a software patch that made the cheap wires not work? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?