Are 1Rx8 and 1Rx4 RAM compatible

I am looking to upgrade to more memory, my prebuilt PC came with 1x8GB of RAM, and on the back this Stick has 8GB 1RX8 PC4 2666V UA2 11 HMA81GU6JJR8N-VK NO AC 2007. I found an exact stick however this had 1Rx4 instead of 1RX8 on the back, all other details are the same. Are these two RAM sticks compatible with each other and will run in duel channel? This is a link to the RAM im looking to buy, picture attached of what i have https://www.flexxmemory.co.uk/memory/hynix-8gb-ddr4-pc4-21300-2666mhz-288-pin-dimm-ram-memory/ 

Current_RAM.jpg

I know you cannot mix ram of different ranks. That would be the "1R". I'm not certain about the "x#". I believe those are the number of memory banks.

@leadeater Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

I am looking to upgrade to more memory, my prebuilt PC came with 1x8GB of RAM, and on the back this Stick has 8GB 1RX8 PC4 2666V UA2 11 HMA81GU6JJR8N-VK NO AC 2007. I found an exact stick however this had 1Rx4 instead of 1RX8 on the back, all other details are the same. Are these two RAM sticks compatible with each other and will run in duel channel?

This is rather odd. Most comsumer Intel systems won't run 1Rx4, even alone. Does the 1Rx4 have double the chips as the 1Rx8?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I know you cannot mix ram of different ranks. That would be the "1R". I'm not certain about the "x#". I believe those are the number of memory banks.

@leadeater Thoughts?

The x# is the bit-width of the memory devices. x4 is usually reserved for ECC registered memory.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

i linked to the website i found the 1rx4 stick i have 1rx8 currently how would i know if it is compatible?

i think the 1rx4 has 4 memory chips and the 1rx8 which i have has 8 chips is this an issue if i paired them?

6 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

The x# is the bit-width of the memory devices. x4 is usually reserved for ECC registered memory.

Sounds about right seeing as how all the RAM in one of my servers is R2x4. I'm familiar with distinguishing ECC from Non-ECC by the additional one or two memory chips on the PCB (not counting the larger chip on RDIMM modules).

2 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

i think the 1rx4 has 4 memory chips and the 1rx8 which i have has 8 chips is this an issue if i paired them?

That's really a hit-or-miss question. I have seen low-end systems with that sort of RAM configuration that worked but for you and your motherboard/CPU it could very well not. There's no real way to know for sure without testing it.

Really though if it can be helped you're best off with a set of matching modules.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Sounds about right seeing as how all the RAM in one of my servers is R2x4. I'm familiar with distinguishing ECC from Non-ECC by the additional one or two memory chips on the PCB (not counting the larger chip on RDIMM modules).

would this mean then i would just have one stick with error correction and one without, so they would be able to work together?

11 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

i linked to the website i found the 1rx4 stick i have 1rx8 currently how would i know if it is compatible?

Where is this link? To know if it's compatible, you need to know the motherboard, CPU, and existing ram (Which you've put in the op).

7 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

It will probably be an issue. The x4 will have more chips, if the labelling is correct.

3 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

would this mean then i would just have one stick with error correction and one without, so they would be able to work together?

ECC won't be enabled unless all the DIMM's, CPU, and motherboard support it. ECC is separate from the configuration issue you have.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

5 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

ECC is really a useless feature for most desktop applications. Depending on what CPU/motherboard you have it may not even be enabled. Mixing ECC with Non-ECC I have to assume it would be disabled by the system if it is supported.

in the original post i put the link to the website that i am looking at for the second stick of this memory just to clear that up. I have an i5-9400 CPU RAM details are in the OP, not sure the motherboard, how can i find out?

4 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

in the original post i put the link to the website that i am looking at for the second stick of this memory just to clear that up. I have an i5-9400 CPU RAM details are in the OP, not sure the motherboard, how can i find out?

9400 doesn’t have eco support

17 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

Both your picture and the link you posted are 1Rx8 DIMM's. You'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Both your picture and the link you posted ar 1Rx8 DIMM's. You'll be fine.

On the picture i can make out 1rx4 probably due to the 8 blending in with the X, thanks

16 minutes ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

9400 doesn’t have eco support

Pretty sure OP just wants to expand the RAM in his desktop. ECC is just an unrelated tangent svmlegacy and I accidentally got on.

@Windows7ge can you check if you think the picture of the RAM on the page i linked says 1Rx8 i think i just thought it was x4 due to the low quality and the X and 8 looking like they have blended

Never mind, i downloaded the image because when i clicked on it nothing happened to zoom in, and so after downloading image would have gotten compressed, for some reason it zoomed in this time, my mouse pad i think is getting worse on my laptop, thanks everyone for your time which i probably have wasted lol

35 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

@Windows7ge can you check if you think the picture of the RAM on the page i linked says 1Rx8 i think i just thought it was x4 due to the low quality and the X and 8 looking like they have blended

Yep that says 1Rx8.

35 minutes ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

Never mind, i downloaded the image because when i clicked on it nothing happened to zoom in, and so after downloading image would have gotten compressed, for some reason it zoomed in this time, my mouse pad i think is getting worse on my laptop, thanks everyone for your time which i probably have wasted lol

So it was just something you misread. I've been there. Sometimes reading those stickers on monitors can be a PITA.

1 hour ago, ModestSkillsCH said:

If in doubt match your ram, can be different brands but make sure the rank and bit widths are the same. Mixing frequency and timings is usually pretty well fine as the system should negotiate down to the slowest installed ram module (some gaming motherboards don't do that, that's actually not as per JDEC but hey "gaming", but you can go in to bios and lock those settings and put the ram extra ram back in).

Personally I wouldn't know if I've mixed different bit widths of ram like you're asking, like I've done lots of mixing and moving ram around systems but I don't really keep notice of what's what as most of my ram is exactly the same.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yep that says 1Rx8.

So it was just something you misread. I've been there. Sometimes reading those stickers on monitors can be a PITA.

So basically good news everything is fine? :)

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So basically good news everything is fine? :)

I summoned you here just for OP to fix his own problem before you arrived. 😆 I think we're good unless he needs help with anything else.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If in doubt match your ram, can be different brands but make sure the rank and bit widths are the same.

Remember my RAM ordeal with the SSD server? I had RAM with perfectly identical stickers & same manufacturer but the Supermicro motherboard still said "Nope." *Training Memory*